Beamshots and advice please

defblade

Newly Enlightened
I've been happy with the Surefire Z3 I bought a little while ago after discovering Maglites aren't the best in the world (always thought this, but they have a death grip on the UK market). But this forum and others have tempted me onwards. Now have a Fenix P1 as EDC, and then read about ROP... so I now have what I was avoiding in the first place - a Maglite 2D. Which is a terrible performer (at the moment
wink.gif
).

Anyhow, thought I'd better get a baseline so I can see how the ROP compares, so decided to take some beam shots. I've got a Canon A520. Made a target and colour reference chart (seemed like a good idea?) and set up at 1 metre.

Sadly, I know little to less about photography, so did some reading on here..... I may be about to open a can of worms, but I'd like some pointers on better shots......

......and any comments on the lights!

Set the white balance to daylight for all shots (someone's post on another thread suggested this).

Unmerged pics (at 800x600) available at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/defblade/torches/ if anyone's interested.

The target looks like this on auto with the flash:
002targetwithroomlightandflash.jpg

First set of shots:

019all3number1.jpg

Then played with "f" and "speed" settings as not too impressed with above (I've changed the Mag focus setting between first set and later, so not totally comparable):

0209onone.jpg

On the whole, I'd say the middle (f3.2, 1/20) line is closest to life.

Thanks in advance for pointers!