is there a LED drop-in for princeton tec 40?

horizonseeker

Enlightened
i have an old princeton tec 40, rather than use it as a host for hot-wiring, I'm wondering if there is a LED drop-in I can use in it. I've tried the tektite 4AA drop in PR-base and it doesn't work in the tec40.

appreciate all suggestions.

thanks

david.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice!

But to be honest, I've put an SMJLED in a Tec-20 before and the reflectors they use just doesn't do it justice. You get pretty much 99% flood and hardly any throw which is ok for indoors. Not so hot once you go outside as the flood beam seems weaker outside. If you could find an LED that sits up high like the incan bulb you might get somewhere. Others on here have told me they have smooth reflectors in their princeton-tecs, but it really wasn't helping much.

I've just decided to keep the Tec 20 and 40 as incans. They serve well in that role. They do make a Tec 40 version with an led (I believe it's called an Impact XL) but most have said it's not very bright compared to other lights out there.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'd be interested to know how well the Nite-Ize PR LED bulb performs here.

Only costs $9 at Wal-Mart. Can handle multiple cells, too.

Just read a favorable thread about this bulb a few pages back.

People said (in a Mag host, anyway) that it's "plenty bright"
to see yer' way around a room, with dark-adapted eyes.

If you should try it, kindly let us know your findings, OK ?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz said:

But with the cost of that he can just pick up an Impact XL and get the same results: Dimmer Lux I resulting from no heatsink and alot of plastic.

Now if a multi-cell PR-SMJLED comes on the scene, I'll be all over it. provided I can get good results with the reflector. (doubtful, Tec 20 wasn't too good)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burgess said:
I'd be interested to know how well the Nite-Ize PR LED bulb performs here.

Only costs $9 at Wal-Mart. Can handle multiple cells, too.

Just read a favorable thread about this bulb a few pages back.

People said (in a Mag host, anyway) that it's "plenty bright"
to see yer' way around a room, with dark-adapted eyes.

If you should try it, kindly let us know your findings, OK ?

I've put it in a Garrity 2xAA Tuff Light before. It's mostly a uniform, dim circle with not hotspot.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I put one of the nite-ize drop ins into my old tec 40. Just like LitUp's Garrity, the night ize in a tec 40 produces a uniform dim flood with no hotspot. It's a useful amount of light though and allows for an epic runtimes.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
i'll have to look into the nite-ize drop in, i used their bi-pin drop in before and had good results, didn't know they had a PR based drop in out.

thanks

david.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
I've tried the NiteIze drop-in in my PT Tec 40 and didn't like it. Way too floody and very low output. The reason why there seems to be low output is because there is no distinct hot spot. You literally can't see anything further than maybe 20ft when its completely dark. Its just all flood and really needs a reflector to make anything of it. FLR also stated this that it doesn't work well in fixed focus lights.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
well, finally gotten around to getting the nite-ize drop-in, won't even light up. put the same drop-in into a PT vortex headlamp and it lit-right up, so it's not the Led's problem.

also got a maglite 3 cell xenon bulb like I've read here on the forum, seems everyone else has a good time running it, well, my light instaflashed the xenon bulb.

tomorrow I'm going to get the 4-cell xenon and see how that works out.

something is not right with this light.

david.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Bought a Nite-Ize PR LED bulb recently, and tried it in my (old style) Tec-40.

Works fine for me. Good choice as a Power-Failure light.

Although just like everyone has stated, it's all flood, with no hot-spot.

Not saying that's a *bad* thing. Especially indoors.

Gives plenty of very soft, useful light. Designed to last a long time.

Lasted 24hrs+ at better than 50% initial brightness. (on alkalines)

I'm quite satisfied with this performance . . . .

At least until Lambda releases his multi-cell SMJLED-PR bulbs. :)

Please hurry ! :grin2:

TMorita

Enlightened
Ohyeah...I forgot to mention...

The Tec-20/Tec-40 are not very good LED-based PR bulb hosts.

The basic problem is these two lights do not have much heatsinking. The lamp holder's electrical contacts are two small nubs. I've used an EverLED in a Tec-20 (which has the same bulb arrangement) and the EverLED ran very hot after 5 mins (sub-one second ouch time, probably over 140F).

Princeton Tec uses the same bulb holder in the Solo headlamp as well, so this would not be a good 1 watt LED PR host either.

In my opnion, a suitable host for a 1 watt LED PR bulb needs a fairly large heatsink which contacts the sides/flange of the bulb. For example, the Energizer Hardcase 4D lantern works pretty well - I've run an EverLED for over 6 hours in one, and the EverLED was only lukewarm at the end of the test.

Toshi

Last edited: