Newbie with qs - want a good, bright light w/ rechargeable batteries

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I very new to this, and am looking to get my first decent light. I want something really nice, ideally with a clip and the ability to put rechargeable batteries in it. I'd prefer an LED light.

I'm looking at a Surefire L5, but I'm kinda confused by the battery options. I've read that the C123A is the normal battery for these lights, but is there a rechargeable option? Would this thing work:

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/rcr123_protected_rechargeable_battery_kit.htm

I've got tons of rechargeable AAs and AAAs, so I'd like to find something nice that uses those, but it seems like the majority of the lights recommended here use the C123A. What is the attraction to those batteries? Wouldn't a more common and readily available AA or AAA light be more ideal?

Can I get some recommendations on a really powerful LED light with a clip under $100 that takes AAs or AAAs? I'd also prefer a clicky switch.

Is the L5 going to be a bad first choice?

I know there are lots of questions here, but any input on any of them would be appreciated.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Dammitjim.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge there aren't too many *powerful* AA lights that also have a clip.

You could try a Fenix L1T or L2T (which run on 1xAA battery or 2xAA batteries of any kind...lithium, alkaline, rechargable).

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=70

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=72

...and than buy a Gerber "infinity" flashlight...

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/gerber_flashlights.htm

...and transfer the clip from the Gerber onto your Fenix (hang the Gerber round your neck on a lanyard or tuck away in another pocket as back-up).

That would come in at around $60-$65 and give you what you want (it would also give you option of buying a CR123 body for the Fenix in a few weeks when they are released again...which would turn that Fenix into a cracking little light).

If that doesn't appeal...search the B/S/T forum here at CPF and see if you can get a HDS EDC flashlight...

http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcBasic.html

Fantastic little 1xCR123 flashlight which takes rechargables, has a pocket clip and four different light levels...I never leave home without mine...wonderfull little creature!

CFU

P.S. People tend to like CR123 powered lights because they generally kick out more lumens/power/light than their AA counterparts.

dchao

Enlightened
dammitjim said:
I've got tons of rechargeable AAs and AAAs, so I'd like to find something nice that uses those, but it seems like the majority of the lights recommended here use the C123A. What is the attraction to those batteries? Wouldn't a more common and readily available AA or AAA light be more ideal?
Lithium is the new technology, high-energy density and lower weight, the rechargeable version Li-Ion, can also hold charge for much longer period of time than NiMH, and no maintenance.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info! That HDS is cool, is a twist or a clicker?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
That HDS is cool, is a twist or a clicker?

Clicky - Many pics here...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122276

Drool, desire, buy.
biggrin.gif

CFU

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS looks very nice and is definitly on my short list. Not cheap though, I'll have to watch for one used.

I just bought a ARC AAA-P from Unforgiven on the BST forums. It's not exaclty what I'm looking for, but everyone here seems to think they are great. I'm guessing it will be the first of many ;)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS looks very nice and is definitly on my short list. Not cheap though, I'll have to watch for one used.

I thought the same...until I realised I'd spent a few hundred dollars on several other lights that were good...but vastly inferior when compared to the first HDS I got my clammy paws on.
au.gif

I just bought a ARC AAA-P from Unforgiven on the BST forums. It's not exaclty what I'm looking for, but everyone here seems to think they are great.

Excellent little back-up light...I keep mine on my neck lanyard, others put them on their keychains...great for shuffling around the house at night time or those little tasks where super-powered search lights are not required...you should get many years of faultless, reliable service from that Arc-P.

I'm guessing it will be the first of many

Oh yes...I stumbled in here simply looking for advice on *a* decent flashlight...infection is quick and relentless (but fairly painless).
biggrin.gif

CFU

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User said:
infection is quick and relentless (but fairly painless).

Very quick. I'm getting an L0PSE too :)

Mikeg23

Enlightened

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikeg23 said:
Since you want a clip I would guess you will be putting this in a pocket rather than on a belt?

Close, I'll be clipping this to the side of a tool bag. The Dorcy looks nice, can you buy those locally at a Target or something?

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some fairly new lights that take AA.Something like a Jet I mkII,lightflux and probably a few more that can take AA lion,AKA 14500. Using these with a lion would be comprable to a rcr123 lion.They are in the $50 to $70 pricerange.Charger and battery is under $100.They can also run on NIMH or alk or E2,at reduced brightness.Very flexible IMO.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just discovered Ripoff holsters, which would actually be a better solution than an attached clip, so now I really just need a good AA/AAA light. Battery life and brightness are more of a concern than size. Does this change anyones suggestions?

I really like the looks of the Jetbeam and may get one of those.

Last edited: