surefire A2 or L2 ?

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Hi newbie so be gentle with me,
have got quite a few Mag torches/flashlights but have now been converted by all the information on CPF and realise that there's more out there:goodjob: . Have puchased a S/F G2 and Fenix L2T which I both love, and have converted a Mag 2D to a ROP which really produces the lumens. Now I'm looking for a new flashlight to EDC and think a 2 Stage light would be good to give me the option of long battery life or a higher output when needed, but can't decide between the S/F A2 or L2.
I appreciate that in true CPF fashion the only real answer must be to buy both:sold: , but if you could only have one which one would you choose and will either of these lights fulfill my needs?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I thought the A2 was the best EDC flashlight for me until the L2 turned up. Now, I don't carry the A2 very often. The L2's main beam is plenty bright for the majority of my needs and the high beam is excellent for just lighting up everything.

The L2 lacks 'throw' but then I don't really need throw everyday. The A2's main beam being incandescent is better outdoors in the urban environment where it doesn't washout as easily as LED white light does under ambient light. However, I don't really need outdoor illumination for the urban environment I usually encounter - at least I don't need the illumination range the A2 has over the L2's high beam.

If the L2 didn't exist I would without hesitation be using the A2 still. I really like the SureFire two-stage switch. It makes all the difference to using the flashlight in my opinion.

Al

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that Size15's/Al,
on reading your past posts I know you have a wealth of knowledge of S/F products and that's the kind of great feedback I'm after. The light will be used as my main flashlight, probably in the urban enviroment, out walking and at work where the flood of the L2 might be an advantage. Cheers.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
I second Size15's. I have used both extensively, and the even flood beam of the L2 is 'most of the time' more useful to me than the A2. The low on the L2 is perfect for most of my needs, whereas the A2 low I found to be too low for tasks that were beyond close-range, requiring more frequent use of the high mode. Having the more useable low level on the L2 greatly increases the usable life of the batteries. Also, since you're going to EDC this light, the L2 behaves better w/ rechargeables. Pop in a 14670 for about 75% of your normal runtime from primaries.

marxs

Enlightened
good suggestion above. personally i have nothing against the A2 (i love it), but all things aside, a flood beam is going to be more usefull to you compared to throw if you know the application and environment your in. in this case, the L2 would be more suitable. unless your out in the woods, then id probably pick the A2 over the L2.

mark

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkpeak, welcome to CPF. I would also vote for the L2. I like the low beam on the 2 stage L2 and much prefer the L2 flood for most of my needs. The A2 is a great light but I simply don't use it that much.

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that SCblur, marxs and fnmag, looking like I'll probably go for the L2. I've tried to read as much information on the L2/A2, but it's not as good as getting advice from people who have practical experience of using both lights.
SCblur thanks for the advice about the 14670 will look into this, my knowledge of the various options regarding batteries is limited to AA's or CR123's.

Last edited:

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully, this won't be considered a hijack as I am going through the same decision making process myself. Which would you choose if you already have the L4 w/a 2 stage switch? Thanks.

Scott112

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights and I use them both. To me, they are completely different lights with different uses.

The A2 works best for close-in work in totally dark conditions like finding my way through the house or walking in the woods. IMHO, the L2 is too bright for dark-adapted eyes. The L2 is best for sittuations when I need a little more light - I mostly use it as a task light during the day. I use the high setting on both lights only for short bursts.

The shorter size is an advantage for the A2, while the ability to run well on rechargables is an advantage for the L2.

Last edited:

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Hi Delta447, no problem joining the thread, they are both fine lights and choosing one is really difficult
ohgeez.gif

Thanks for that Scott112, Just when I think I know which one to choose I realise that I'm still unsure
awman.gif
. The information about use in very low light conditions with night adapted eyes is very useful.

cslinger

Enlightened
I will be the dissenting vote here. A2 for me all the way. I just find the two different beams to be more usefull then the high/low same beam of the L2. Not to mention it is smaller as well.

I personally think the A2 is the pinnacle of a do it all light.

Just my two cents.

Chris

Size15's

Flashaholic
Delta447 said:
Which would you choose if you already have the L4 w/a 2 stage switch? Thanks.

The L2.

The L4 is too short for me to grip and use easily compared to the A2 and L2. Also, the feel and travel of the SureFire two-stage switch is better than any aftermarket one I've felt. Thirdly, the main beam [what some call it's low beam] of the L2 is regulated unlike the low beam of a modified L4.

Al

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have and use both but as other have said they are very different lights. The A2 low is best for close up tasks in the dark ( map / book reading, cooking... ) while its high beam is more of a "search' type light.

The L2, I carry for supplimental light during the day, with the higher output and the flood pattern it is better suited to light up larger dimly lit areas. On low it is quite bright, with high in reserve.

I do a lot of dusk/night walks and the A2 is a better trail light when the trail is tight/ overgrowm. The L2 is too much flood and not enough throw for that situation IMHO. For open country/trails the L2 comes out on top.

I found picking just one to be too hard, so I kept both - they are too different to chose between. After dark, I prefer the A2 - the LEDs are great for close in with the incan for more further away work. The color rendition of the ican is also better in some cases. During the day I carry the L2, in general I want to light up a dimly lit area- this is where the Lux V beam comes in handy. I tried the L2 after dark for a while but found that the low was too bright for most reading like tasks.

All that said, for my next outdoor adventure I will most likely leave the A2 at home and take the L2 ( with some sort of diffuser ) and either an M3T or TL-3 for times when "search" is really needed. Given that you have a ROP for throw go with the L2 and a diffuser for close up tasks where the low mode is still too bright.

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks cslinger(Chris) both are great lights thats why choosing is so difficult. I'll have to buy one and then the other at a later date, because you can never have enough quality flashlights:goodjob: .

Thanks waterboiler, thats another option get the L2 with a diffuser to dim the output down for reading maps/paperwork or for other close work that requires less light than the L2's low. I'm thinking its better to have a little too much light and tone it down than not enough. Cheers.

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
My problem with the L2 is that it is a great wall of light, but has no real throw. On top of that, the color rendition is off, especially outside.

Finally, the 1/2" of extra length just seems a little too much longer to make it a great EDC.

The A2 is my preferred EDC, with a Milky L1 as my backup, with a very nicely colored LED in it.

Bill

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information bwaites(Bill). Wow this ain't easy .
ohgeez.gif
As I've got the ROP and the G2 for throw, I'm inclined to go for the L2 to give me that wall of light.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have and love both lights. A lot of the time I can't decide which to carry, so I end up carrying both. You really can't go wrong with either. Color rendition with the L2 outdoors isn't as good, but it does light up a very large area. The A2 is a nice all-around light, with better throw than the L2.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've told the story before, but my first A2 was bought for a brother in law to take to Baghdad in his job as infantry/mechanic.

I tried the Streamlight TTL2, too big.

Bought an L2, liked it, but gave me that "walking on the moon" feeling when I used it outside.

Bought an A2 for me, the L2 got sold, I've had an A2 with me at all times for nearly 3 years since, (well, it went to milkyspit for different LED's).

Both great lights, but the A2 is the best light I have ever had for EDC, with the MilkyL1 a close second, limited by it's smaller size and LED. I just can't QUITE bring myself to consistently use LED's outside, just too color problematical.

Bill

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an A2, but I have an L2. If I didn't have either I would enquire as to the cost of a replacement bulb for each.
I don't question the evident value of the A2 when extra throw is needed.
However I would vote for the L2.

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks carrot, bwaites and Frank Maddix for your input. Decided to use a super computer to decide. Right heads L2, tails A2. Computer says A2, perhaps I should go best of three.
lolsign.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts