Time Near Epicenter Sun Oct 15 07:07:48 2006
Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) Sun Oct 15 13:07:48 2006
Central Daylight Time (CDT) Sun Oct 15 12:07:48 2006
Mountain Daylight Time (MDT) Sun Oct 15 11:07:48 2006
Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) Sun Oct 15 10:07:48 2006
Alaska Daylight Time (ADT) Sun Oct 15 09:07:48 2006
Hawaii Standard Time (HST) Sun Oct 15 07:07:48 2006

Location with respect to nearby cities:
15 km (10 miles) NNW of Kailua Kona, Hawai`i, Hawaii (pop 9,800)
100 km (65 miles) S of Hana, Maui, Hawaii (pop 700)
100 km (65 miles) W of Hilo, Hawai`i, Hawaii (pop 40,000)
250 km (155 miles) SE of HONOLULU, Hawaii

For maps, additional information, and subsequent updates,
please consult:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/hv00020953.php .

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I thought it was Don, releasing a new McLux build. :grin2:

Seriously though, I also hope all in the islands are well.

Cliff

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, cnn reporting the electricity out in a lot of places on the big island, but generators already coming back on line.. lines at grocery stores, stores are packed w/ shoppers and people wait on line to get in a few at a time to buy, mainly:
1. ice (obviously whatever food they have is perishable..wonder if it would be more efficient to hand out non-perishable foodrather than ice..just my fema side )
2. batteries
seems no one has flashlights in Hawaii and the hotels were handing out glow sticks..

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I got up early so I could get a bit of work done and maybe beat the crowds to some waves.

Sitting on the Lanai drinking coffee and getting the nicotine levels up. Boot up Laptop to check e-mail and the deck starts moving. A gardner friend had just showed up and I told him we were having a quake. He was standing on the pavement and couldn't feel it at first. It built in intensity and his truck was rocking. I went back to the laptop to see if I could find something out but had lost internet connection. A few minutes later the power went out. Car radio was useless as there were only two stations I could find in all of AM and FM and one was a political discussion and the other some crap music! Probably "canned" crap. It was at least a half hour before one of the stations had some people live and discussing the situation. I would be curious to know if the tsunami sirens have off the grid power and if they do if someone in the know would have had access to send the signal?!?!

According to the radio, all of the islands had major if not complete power outages. My power was out for a bit over 6 hours. One caller into the station said that D battery paks were being scalped at some store for $20/pk or something silly like that. :rolleyes: I don't know if we actually had some damage to the power system here on Maui or if some seismic alarm tripped the power off.

If nothing else, I think and hope this was a good wake up call for people! On West Maui, there is one road that connects us to the rest of the Island and the big city, airport and hospitals. A good storm or rock fall from a quake could isolate us in minutes.This year, there were a couple fires that closed the road for a few hours.

I think most CPFer's have a pretty good idea about being prepared. How many of us have actually made preperations though may be a different story! :eek:

Funny, I left CA and many think that is a safe move to get away from the quakes. Some people express concern about Hawaii because of tsunamis and primarily hurricanes. Well regardless, to me, it's paradise here and nothing is permanent ultimately. So much to be said about seizing the day! :)

The surf was blown out by a front that is moving through. Bummer!

I joke now but realize many have had property damage but so far no reports of injury. I sure hope that holds. :green:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi McGizmo,

I am glad to here that you are OK.

Please continue to be safe and if you could keep us updated that would be much appreciated.

All My Best to You and Yours,
John

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
I live on the big island, around 15 miles from the epicenter. The house was majorly rocking, but only got minor damage - a few dishes broke. I heard some buildings in Kona sustained structural damage. Power is now back at my place. The civil defense said the power went out state-wide as a protection mechanism and they have to check each substation to make sure they are okay before turning them back on. So Oahu should have power by the end of the day. I too left CA and never thought I would experience another big one here. Usually they're on the east side of the island.

So far there are no reported casualties. The did have to evacate the Kona hospital due to damage. But Costco is intact! :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for the updates!! Glad to hear you folks aren't hurt!! Prayers & positive thoughts to all those in need!

Living here in Alaska on the Pacific Ring of Fire is indeed a risk we've chosen to accept and share with you. I like to think I'm prepared (recently got a great deal on a generator), but can we ever be prepared enough?!

n_den

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo said:
I got up early so I could get a bit of work done and maybe beat the crowds to some waves.

Sitting on the Lanai drinking coffee and getting the nicotine levels up. Boot up Laptop to

hey, that was the first thing we thought, "how am i gonna make my coffee!"

glad you're safe. if we could only get rid of the rain, now. n_den

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Thankfully no causalities!

I live in Palisades (Pearl City) and it doesn't help that I'm in the mountain area. Land slide is one thing, but I don't think these houses were built to withstand earthquakes.

The rain was bad today but I don't think it compares to all the idiot drivers out there that lack the knowledge of a four way intersection. I'm surprised they can even put their pants on in the morning! Also, there were incidents on price gouging! What a way to capitalize after a natural disaster. There were incidents of 15 dollars for batteries. Not sure if it was per pack but that's just stupid.

KSSK did an excellent job of being the only station on the air and providing excellent data.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
They said on the news to report price gouging. The fine is $10,000! They reported a number of hotels on the Big Island sustained some damage. On one of them, a cement overhang dropped 4 floors, taking all the lanais below it down to the ground. Lucky no one was sitting out there or they would have been squashed! There were a number of roads with rock slides and a couple of sink holes. The funny thing is we have power and 1/2 of Oahu is still in the dark. I guess they have too many people! Fortunately the rain is letting up there, at least until tomorrow.

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Again, its a good thing no one was hurt.

Yes it was weird that all other islands had power while some parts of Oahu is in the dark. Pearl City and Aiea were the first to have power and slowly it is spreading throughout the Island.

Today I only went to the Fastop near me to buy some ice. I KNOW they didn't gouge me. They're better than that but yeah its a good thing there is zero tolerance on price gouging.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I saw on the news that an elderly lady perished in a house fire this evening on Oahu. The power was out but at the time of the report, there was no idea if the fire was related to power being out. I have not heard an explaination about why the power was tripped off but it would be a piece of bitter irony if a fatality was related to power going out as a "precaution". Certainly the disruption in business and activities state wide was costly due to lack of power. From footage I saw, it didn't look to be too much fun for vacation goers in Waikiki this evening. :green:

We haven't had any rain here at all. :p

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
email from Maui,

"...yeah it felt like a big one and the night before i was watching a 2hr doc about the post geology of the indonesian tsunami and those plates had been rubbing u[ againstr each other for millions of years and were released in a second. i was shaking i live in a little matchbox stilt house so it went wah wah i was up getting ready to go down to the coast to work so i postponed that but i had a dynamo radio somebody has dumped and i got the utitlity guys talking to each other and even before i knew what happened they were talking about tsunhami but i am higher up. but nobody had any food the picture on the drudgereport was everyone lining up for the barbie chicken that some homeless guys cook on the street. hope you are doing good love b..."

homeless guys save the day! ha.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Its the day after, and all seems to have returned to normal. Nearly everyone on Oahu got their power back by about 11pm. I live in Aiea, so my power was resumed at around 1pm. Traffic seemed a bit light driving into work today, I'm guessing that a lot of folks stayed at home. I did drive out last night about 9:30 pm, to bring supplies to my sister's house. Ice, water, extra flashlights, etc. I could not believe the number of people that actually drove out to buy food and gas at that hour (in areas that had power restored). One McDonald's had a 25-car line through its drive-through.

At least this will be a good drill for hurricane season (which we are still in).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like this is good wake-up call. Sometimes people need to be shaken (no pun intended) out of their daily, comfortable stupor so they can see that maybe carrying a flashlight and a knife isn't so weird....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
We had a 6.8 near Seattle about five and a half years ago; only ONE of my flashlights (out of at least several hundred) was destroyed beyond usability. So finding a light source was of no concern to me. :)