Task Force 1 AA, 1 W Luxeon at Lowe's

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My addiction just got the better of me. Thought I would take a minute and prowl the flashlight stand at Lowe's a bit ago. Didn't really expect to buy anything, maybe just ogle the 3 W Task Force. What do I find but a new one, at least I don't recall it being discussed before. They hadn't even priced them yet. Cost turned out to be $16.97.

Taskforce.jpg

Only two colors- blue and red. Larger than it should be, as you can see, but solid feeling. Anti-roll bezel. Reverse tail clickie. Wrist lanyard and nylon pouch. Packaging implies 25 lumen output. Might be close, as it appears less than my Arc LSL and Civictor, and maybe twice Fenix E1 and RR 2AAA. Tint very nice, similar to Civictor, but maybe a tad whiter. Fairly wide hotspot with the expected rings, which are seem dim enough to not be too irritating. I'll have to wait for darkness to get a good idea of its throw.

Looks like this may be a decent beater and loaner light that will be very cheap to feed.

Geoff

tvman

Newly Enlightened
I just saw these today at my local Lowe's. No shelf label or price mark in blue. They still had one 3aaa 1w but it was still $20.9x. I may grab me one of the 3w 2c next time.

Last edited:

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
Re: the 3-AAA 1 watt Taskforce.

I returned mine today. Bought it 8/22 from Lowes. They took it back
with no quesitons.

The problem was the tail switch. If the light sat more than a day or so
it wouldn't turn on until at least two tries. After it was warmed up it
would be instant on every time. Leave it off for a couple of days and the
first try wouldn't turn it on. I stretched the tail cap spring thinking maybe
the contact pin of the battery pack was too soft but no change.

I liked the brightness a lot for its size. Maybe it was just the one unit
but felt like trying something else.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Had a chance to check the throw. Since it has a pretty wide hotspot it does fairly well. Almost as good as Civictor or Metal Gear. It's more spot than flood. Here's a lineup pic of my other 1 watt and 1 AA lights with the Task Force for size comparison.

Lineup1.jpg

L to R: UK eLED 4AA, Dorcy Metal Gear, Task Force 1AA, Civictor, Arc LSL, CMG Infinity, Dorcy 1AA, Inova X1

Geoff

danielo_d

Enlightened
I got mine a coupla days ago. I like it. It's not as bright as my Dorcy 1CR123, but I like that it's 1AA. [can get loads of Kirkland signature -Costco Alkies] Just bought some nihms, but we'll see if I'll go that route.
Comes with a decent pouch.
I think it's a keeper. only $16.97
It's on Lowe's website, at
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=242998-50584-FT-NS-1AA 1WR&lpage=none
[click image on their site to enlarge the pic, and it's a huge pic!]
As mentioned earlier, it comes only in red or blue, at least that's all I saw. I got red. :grin2:

Danno.
[edit]
btw, just did a search on Lowes site for "Model: FT-NS-" and it returned all the Task Force LED lights they carry. just an fyi...
[/edit]

Last edited:

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just bought one of these today and it seemed a little dim so i measured voltage across the led while on and it was 2.99V. i removed the board the led is mounted on to see what specs are and i can't find the numbers. It isn't a star, just an emitter on a mounting card, it sticks through the center to touch against aluminum heatsink. there is an "H" written in magic marker on the bottom of the card. So, my question is how can you tell what the specs are for just an emitter?? and what led would be brighter in this setup?? Thanks.
Tom

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I skimmed over this thread and may have missed it however what type of optic is used?....It is hard to tell from the pics and I am wondering if it is a reflector or optic used.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I couldn't say what type to optic is used, except to note that it looks alot like my Arc LSL when looking at it straight on. It is definitely more focused than the Arc.

Geoff

lumenal

Enlightened
I picked this light up a week or so ago, and for a 1AA Luxeon, is OK. Its not the brightest of my Lux 1's, but output really improved after cleaning, lubing, and adding Pro-Gold to the contacts. The tint is very white.

It uses a collimating lens, which is good for my needs. A good "beater" light, for sure.:whistle:

kevinm

Enlightened
I got one to try. It's a fair light and good for the money. It's as bright as my Triton and the runtime is longer (though it appears something like direct driven; the Triton is brighter after 1/2 hour). The optic is annoying to me; not enough spill. It can be removed, and the reflector for a minimag is the right size for the head. Just drill out the hole to fit the Luxeon, and you're good to go. The beam then has a good hot spot and nice spill. No rings at all.

Kevin

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Looked like an interesting light until I read it had a optical lens. Never found much use for spot lights... gotta have spill.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is not the "spot light" like some are that have a magnifying type lens. It uses an optic like the Arc LS and some LedLensers as well as the other Task Force models. As I said earlier it is more spot than flood, but there is enough flood for normal use, and the spot is wide enough to be useful even up close. It's really not at all like the old X1 or others that give only a full moon type of beam.

Geoff

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
I also picked this up a little over a week ago. If you are not happy with the brightness you could put a lithium AA in it. I have been using it this way with mine and have had no problems what so ever. Its a good general task light that is bright enough for most common uses.

By the way, I have tried a NiMH but the output is reduced a bit over the alkaline. The lithium in mine is still going strong after almost 2 weeks of daily use. It is also about the same brightness as the Dorcy metal gear 3AAA, but with a bit less throw. It is definitely a good deal in my book. :grin2:

Last edited:

danielo_d

Enlightened
kevinm said:
The optic is annoying to me; not enough spill. It can be removed, and the reflector for a minimag is the right size for the head. Just drill out the hole to fit the Luxeon, and you're good to go. The beam then has a good hot spot and nice spill. No rings at all.

Kevin

So, the minimag reflector [incan?] fits this light? I'd like to try that. Is it much improved with the reflector?
Sounds like a good idea. [um you got beamshots? :) ]

Danno

flashlife

Enlightened
How does this 1AA compare to the Task Force 3AAA-1 Watt, in throw, spill, general brightness & usefulness?

I have a TF 3AAA-1Watt and a 2C-3Watt and love them.
I got one of the TF 1AA's but the switch locked up before I got out of the Lowe's parking lot...so I returned it.
Maybe just got a bad one...?

I'm ready to try again with the 1AA if it compares favorably to the TF 3AAA-1W.

DaveG

Enlightened
Picked up one also,not bad at all,for under $20.Just wish it was a bit smaller,and lose the anti-roll fins on the head.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I'm wondering the same thing as flashlife.

I'm really impressed with the 1W - 3AAA Task Force light. (I got mine on sale: bundled with their keychain light for $11 + Tax.)

I wish I bought 3 or 4 3AAAs. :(

kevinm

Enlightened
flashlife said:
How does this 1AA compare to the Task Force 3AAA-1 Watt, in throw, spill, general brightness & usefulness?

I have a TF 3AAA-1Watt and a 2C-3Watt and love them.
I got one of the TF 1AA's but the switch locked up before I got out of the Lowe's parking lot...so I returned it.
Maybe just got a bad one...?

I'm ready to try again with the 1AA if it compares favorably to the TF 3AAA-1W.

I don't have either any more (like the Triton better), but the 1AA and the 3AAA use the same type of optic. The beam pattern is similar, though mine had some artifacts (light rings). The AA is less bright than the AAA, but smaller. Runtime on a 2500mAh NiMH was 3 hours before it became really dim.

The switch on mine felt good and strong. It's a chunky SPST in the tailcap that is easily opened. I'd guess you got a bad one. With Lowe's return policy, it matters little; just take it back if it dies within the year for a new one.

Favorably? Maybe. It's smaller and uses a more common battery (okay, only slightly more common). It's dimmer with similar runtime. Don't know. It would be a good pocket light.

As for the reflector comment: the reflector was a standard Minimag reflector that I drilled out for a Luxeon a while ago. The hotspot to spill transition was better than with the stock optic, and there were no artifacts. I liked it. With the optic, there is enough spill to use, but I like more than the optic created. It's a matter of preference.

For $16, can you get another flashlight fix?

Kevin