Questions re: Magcharger/ Other Long Thrower

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wanting a reasonably priced, rechargeable, long distance thrower. This is for spotting critters, and my preferred beam is a strong hotspot with as little spill as possible. (I always carry a pocket flood for lighting the path, and I don't like the distraction and interference with night vision that a blast of bright, close up spill from a high powered light causes.) As for throw, I want to be able to make out a critter at 500-600 ft. or better.

I'm leaning towards a Magcharger. My questions are:

1) Does the MC have the kind of beam I've described? (strong throw, weak spill)

2) The Maglite website says the MC has 51,700 CP. Amazon says 40,000 CP, and Brightguy has both figures! Was 40,000 CP the output for a previous version or....?

3) Is Amazon's price of $86 shipped for the MC (w/ 2 mounting brackets and AC & DC adapters) the best around?

4) What are the simplest and most cost effective mods to get even more throw from a MC?

5) Any suggestions for a different light that would meet my requirements (reasonably priced, rechargeable, long throw/little spill)? I tend to turn my throw light on for just a few seconds most of the time, then off, then back on again, so I'm hesitant to go the HID route due to the "warm-up time" factor.

Thanks very much for any guidance.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are on the right path. I'm a fan of the Magcharger. Its very throwy as you say, and its nice not to have to fiddle with a bunch of parts as you do when sticking a Mag85 together. And its not too spendy. Factory support. Not much to dislike.

Add a WA1160 bulb for more light, less runtime. This makes it the famous Mag60.

You know, you get even more light with one of those cheapy $15 Vector rechargeable spotlights at Walmart if you care to go that route.

peace

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My MC60 is out in the truck... but going from memory it has pretty decent spill to go with the spot...

Hmm.. I just tried several of my Hotwire incans and I don't THINK the spill would be THAT bad.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
put the 1160 in it deffinatley..

also, put an extra o ring in the head mechanisim. "Under" (twoards the tailcap) the metal disc that the bezel rotates on.. this will give you a much stiffer head. You can "lock" it into spot mode and only have flood when you want it.