Metric Vs. American Standard....

Doug

Enlightened
Size15s,

Metric is just wrong.... I have been very resistant to it, I realize it is easier to work with, but, COME ON! It's just not natural !

Then again, I complain to people how reading a book is not natural, where as reading a computer screen is (of course this makes sence, because looking FORWARD, is easier, than looking DOWN.... right?? Also, at times, I have found, that I would be reading print, and thinking "I need to turn up the brightness.... doh! It's a book, thats right..." ... those darn books, the pages just don't glow ! Another thing, people say WRITING is natural, BAH! I say, NO WAY ... typing is FAR more natural! Anyone agree, disagree?

Doug

mikep

Enlightened
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."
-Grampa Simpson

Everything important relates back to Simpsons.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, it took me a while to get used to metric, but for less than 25mm (Oops, see what I mean) it makes more sense to me now. Can't get used to working in grams though, 'taint natcheral.

Apothecaries weights mikep ! Ya can't beat cubes ! (not cc / litres)
Try this: 12d = 1 shilling, and twenty shillings is a £. Until 1973, when we decimalised.

Size15's is too young to remember all the other denominations of coins ...

lite-lover
blush.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's is too young to remember all the other denominations of coins ...

And me! All I know is Decimal money and I was force-fed the Metric system all my life too. Imperial measures just seem odd to me but that`s just cos I was brought up Metric- I will happily work in feet and inches though so long as it`s not full of 32nds and 64ths- there`s where I get a bit stuck. Yer average tape measure`s resolution is fine though. Adding them up? Forget it! I was always useless at mental arithmetic, metric or not.
Small stuff definately gets millimetres though, it just seems easier.

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
My Grandma gives all her grandchildren coins. I have a collection of mint coins that for a coin collector would be very nice. I doubt I'll spend the £5 coins, or the solid silver £1 & £5 coins, or the Limited Edition ones. I believe that can be used still (if you're stupid)

Being at young lad of twenty (my 21st is this summer) I was brought up with the Metric System.
At University we are marked down harshly for using anything other than Metric which was a pain for my USA Field notebook cos everything had to be converted before writing it in.

Whilst everything like food etc has to be sold in Metric Units, milk is still in Pint sized bottles but in measured using Metric Litres.

Roads and speeds, and distances are still in Miles however I believe this will change within a Decade.

I weigh myself in Kilograms but Stones are used. I'm 6'5" and have no idea how much that is in Metres! Something like 190cm?

Engines have horsepower ratings, and it's still miles per gallon rather than litres per Kilometre.

What I like best about the Metric System is the Base 10.
1 gram of liquid water under standard P/T conditions = 1 millilitre and has a volume of 1 cubic centimetre.
1 litre of water is 1kg and a volume of 10 cubic centimetres.

To this day, I don't know how to work out parts of an inch, or know how many ounces are in a pound or how many pounds are in a stone or feet to yards to miles...

How many inches are in a mile?

There are 100,000cm in a Kilometre
There are 1 million millimetres in 1km

I looked it up, there are 63360 inches in 1 mile. What kinda number is that?!

Anyway, I can use Metric. I've been through A Level Chemistry and Physics! Decimals are so much easier to work with compared to fractions. Even more so if the fraction isn't of a base 10 unit.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Metric is the way better than imperial for practical use. Since it's all base 10, the calculations are simple. Anyone in a scientific field that has to perform analytical calculations will prefer it.

Despite my preference for metric, I can't get myself to convert from horsepower to Watts and from lb-ft to N-m! I also have a hard time relating speed to Kph. (and a liter of beer just doesn't sound right).

Size15's

Flashaholic
A litre of Beer is MORE Beer!

The glasses (with handles) of beer we were drinking in Switzerland were 1 Litre, and called something like "Hoump-pen" which wasn't the best word for drunk Englishmen to have to say at the bar...

The Beer in Germany and Switzerland is very clean and pure, so even after rather too many, we woke up without hangovers. Which was nice. It's very difficult to work out how many pints we'd had after 6 "Hoump-pen" and so we moved on to spirits so we could stop stressing about it.

Whether it's Metrics or Imperials, Geologists will drink Alcohol out of practically anything!

Al

mikep

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:

I looked it up, there are 63360 inches in 1 mile. What kinda number is that?!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the stories I've heard are the origins of the measurements are true, you are talking about how many thumb-joint-lengths (inches)are in a thousand paces of a Roman soldier (mile). That makes sense, doesn't it?

rolleyes.gif