Does It Snow In Allot Of Places In The US?

Doug

Enlightened
I have been wondering this for a while now, the way TV portays it, and the fact that 99% of AC window units are for the odd ball vertical opening windows, seems to say that most of the country experiences winters....

So, does anyone know for sure? From my point of view, it snows in VERY few places in the country that I know of.... As far as I know, the rest of the country is just like it is here in Ventura (county), CA .... where is sometimes, in the deepest of winters, it has gotten down to 31 deg., and of course, upto abour 115 deg. in the summer... well, actually, it doesn't have to be summer to be really hot, or vise versa.... This past "winter" ... when it winter suppose to be exaclty anyways? Well, some time in December, I remember being pretty hot, like 90 deg. (which, of course, if you had been use to the freeing 50-70 deg. temps it had been just prior that month, 90 feels hot!

Thoughts? Comments?

Doug

Brock

Flashaholic
Well, here in Green Bay it gets cold, about 0 F in Jan, with a low of about -15 some nights. Last winter we had a 5 days in a row that never got above -10 F, and thats not counting wind chill. We don't get as much snow when it is that cold, but earlier in the winter and a bit later we get quite a bit, if I remember right we get about 40 inches a year.

Brock

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can go to Big Bear Lake for some snow.
grin.gif

I've lived in Alaska. Lot's of snow. Tennessee. The whole place shuts down from 2 inches of snow. More ice storms than snow storms. California. Very little precepitation. I think it could drop to 20 degrees and there would be little to no snow. And now Florida. No snow here that I can see.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I've lived in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan (lower peninsula only), Ohio, and Kentucky. We've had LOTS of snow in all those places. Not every year did this happen, but, even in Kentucky, we've had over 20" of snow fall in less than 24 hours-- within the past seven years. Mind you, now, Kentucky is supposed to be in the South.

In Tennessee a few years ago, we had a snowstorm that threw a few inches on the ground, and then followed it up with an ice storm to make it all slippery!

Based on my own experience, what I see on The Weather Channel and other TV sources, and on what I hear from people who live in other parts of the country, I'd have to say that, even discounting Alaska completely, most of the land mass of the United States experiences snow from time to time.

Bucky

Enlightened
I would have to agree with Cyclops. I think that most of the country experiences snow. The only places that don't are the very southern and very western states; like South Carolina around through Florida over to Texas and up to California. Every place in the midwest definitely gets a decent bit of snow, especially in North Dakota, Minnesota, upper parts of WI and in the UP of MI. These spots get more than the normal 40-50 inches that Milwaukee, Detroit, and Chicago get - compared to the approximately 129 inches that Marquette, (in the UP) MI gets.

Personally, I love snow and cold and have come across a great site detailing the average snowfall totals for major cities http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html Hope this helps
smile.gif

Bucky

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bucky:
Personally, I love snow and cold and have come across a great site detailing the average snowfall totals for major cities http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm surprised at how many locations show average trace amounts of snowfall in months like June, July and August.
shocked.gif

I'm originally from Juneau, where it used to snow quite a bit... now the climate has changed and they mostly get rain in the winter and the ski resort's only open for a couple of months out of the year.
blush.gif

Here in central Seattle, we usually get a good douching of snow every 3-5 years, and only trace amounts otherwise.

Here is a page from the same website showing the normal temperatures for the same cities the snow page listed:
http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normtemp.html

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm sure the bulk of the US experiences at least a trace of snow. I grew up in northern Vermont. According to my father who is a zealous weather keeper, they received approximately 105 inches of snow last year. Like Brock in Green Bay, it can be very cold. I personally remember it being -38 degrees once when I was a kid. Seems like the past few years though, cold weather, but nothing approaching that extreme. Maybe there is something about global warming. Nonetheless, it's a wonderful place to be during the summer months. Also, on a positive note, no killer snakes, spiders or the like.

Where I live now on the Massachusette's coast, the winters can be very fickle. There are some winters with not much snow and other's we get buried. The snow/rain ratio is fairly even during the winter whereas in Vermont, rain was fairly rare in the wintertime.

The most depressing weather experience I ever experienced was when visiting friends in Arizona during January, I left Phoenix with 75 degrees temps and less then three hours later arrived for a connecting flight in Minneapolis where the temperature was -6.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:

I'm originally from Juneau, where it used to snow quite a bit... now the climate has changed and they mostly get rain in the winter and the ski resort's only open for a couple of months out of the year.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that funny. As I just posted, I grew up in northern Vermont. While it is still overall damn cold in the wintertime, they rarely get to the -20 to -30 degree level that I remember so often as a kid.

For snowfall levels, check out Mount Washington, NH. I have hiked there in the midst of July and have experienced temperature changes from say 80 degrees or so at the base to only the 40s at the top. This is within an elevation change of only 5,000 feet or so (the mountain is 6280 feet high).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
it is still overall damn cold in the wintertime, they rarely get to the -20 to -30 degree level that I remember so often as a kid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was a kid, seeing temps of -15 to -25 was quite common in Juneau, and snow would stay on the ground from late October through early May. Now it stays mainly in the 30s and 40s during the winter and some winters have hardly any snow at all. :-O

Interestingly enough, the summers have become cooler.
A typical July day in Juneau now is about 57°F, and you'd better take the day off work (call in sick) when a 75°F day appears because they're much less common now than they used to be.
frown.gif

Here in Seattle we average (statistically) 1 tornado a year. In 1999 we had 13 of the little *******s, and last year we had six or seven of them. Mostly little F0 to F2 critters, and most cause little damage.

Global climatic changes are becoming VERY visible now, at least in some regions.