Fenix L0P woes

Bee

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Fenix L0P a little while ago. I'm having a lot of problems with it : it just won't light up everytime I twist the cap. I must wrestle with it for several seconds before I get a positive result : sometimes I twist the cap on/off 20-25 times before getting some light!

I lubricated the threads with silicone lubricant ; strangely this seems to make the cap more stiff than it ever was. I also cleaned up the whole interior of the flashlight with Radio Shack contact cleaner. What happened with the realiable operation I used to have with the L0P ?

Does anyone have similar problems with their L0P ? Any tips on how to fix this? I'm just about to return my Photon Freedom Micro to it's pocket EDC status!

(Is there any warranty on this? I bought it within the last year from the Fenix Store)

Last edited:

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
If you got it from the fenix store, give 4sevens a heads up and he'll take care of you.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, try wipeing the thread area of the body in a terry cloth towel ( bathroom wash cloth type). Then wipe the interior of the head by stuffing part of the cloth into the head and rotating it in the head. Oil the threads and o ring with a little vegitable oil. And try again...if it still doesn`t work I suggest you e-mail 7777 and ask if there`s any idea`s/tips he may have. And welcome.

Ken

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a couple Fenix light's with this problem. I took some 600 grit sandpaper to
the end of the body where the thread's are. Keeping it flat on a level surface I gave
it about 30 seconds of sanding, cleaned the thread's and lube and no more problem.
It's an easy fix but you have to decide if you want to send it back or not. 4seven's
is a good dealer so it's up to you.

Bee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for your extremely fast replies everyone, and thanks for the welcome!

I used a multimeter to see if anything was wrong with the base of the light... Everything seems normal, I placed the battery in the body of the L0P and touched the outside rim as well as the top of the battery terminal : I get constant reading all over the rim/batt.

Looks like something is wrong in it's head... :awman:

I emailed 4sevens as per your recommendations. Thanks!

Bee

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
just an fyi, but the highly refined silicon lubricant is NOT good for flashlight threads. Pure silicon grease (96% type) is an insulator. For some flashlights, the head needs the electrical conduction thru the threads to turn on the LED. In the case of the LOP, the silicon grease from the threads migrates to and contaminates the circuit board on the head where the surface of the body is supposed to contact the head. I have had both problems. My problem started when I tried using some 96% silicone grease from the local ACE HW store - sticky, stringy, thick, and seemed to make the twisty head much more difficult to turn. I eventually had to switch to a lube intended for O-rings that had no comment about being a silicone grease. Lighthound has a lube recommended by many CPF members. I don't know anything about it but will probably purchase some with my next order.

You need to clean the threads and exposed circuit board contact ring surface on the head thoroughly to remove all traces of that high purity silicon grease. There are other forms of silicone grease that probably aren't that "pure" with the resultant conduction problems. Spray some Radio Shack contact cleaner/lubricant on a Q-tip until thoroughly wet and clean the circuit board. Wipe the threads thoroughly towards the open end of the body to ensure all of the silicon grease is removed. Better yet, remove all of that silicone grease and try another brand.

lotsawatts

Newly Enlightened
Try pulling out the spring in the base of the light and stretching it a bit. Worked for me.