I got emailed a question from ''Q''!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I s**t you not!!!
I received a question about 12 volt LED light bulbs from John de Lancie, the person who played the omnipotent "Q" on Star Trek: The Next Generation!!! :) :D :thumbsup: :D :)

He asked about the availability of 12 volt LED bulbs with a standard (Edison E26 medium screw base); unfortunately I know of no such critter, so I'm going to refer him to CPF right after I post this.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmm, I was in an RV/motorhome supply store the other day and they had a pretty nice selection of 12 volt bulbs. However I was in a hurry and didn't pause to see if any were LED. So maybe checking that "path" may render some positive results?

TorchMan

Enlightened
I guess that puts to rest the myth that the Q are omnipotent. :grin2:

On the other hand at least he didn't just pop in, or worse! Really it's very cool for you, being a Trekker (Trekkie). Thanks for sharing with fellow fans!

If "Troy" or "Seven of Nine" ever email you, please get pics! :drool:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Screw Base Luxeon LED Light ?
luxeon33.jpg

This LED light uses the new Luxeon technology with a built-in voltage regulator. Each LED is about 10 times brighter than regular LEDs. A nice light with a wide beam and more even illumination. ******
3 LED, 3 watt, 12 volt L270 1 lb $40

http://www.kansaswindpower.net/led_lights.htm

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
delancj.gif

young John distinguished himself while in his pre-teen years by flunking the fifth grade after racking up the most detentions ever given a child his age. They thought he was "a little slow", only later to discover that he was simply lysdexic. At 14, de Lancie played the part of Henry the Fifth in the school play; to everyone's astonishment (including his own) he was good. This fact was not lost on his father (First Oboist for the Philadelphia Orchestra and Director of the Curtis Institute of Music) who, thinking "any port in a storm," suggested to his son that he become an actor.

havand

Enlightened
That's great! I wonder what he is working on? I just saw an episode the other day with him in it...Something about him losing his powers and not being able to help the Enterprise move a moon. Good stuff.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one that I believe is a 12vdc (US Standard) Edison base.

SoiLED "spot" available in several colors (and white--don't know about dealer)

6v and 12 vdc candelabra base (small screw base)

No spec listed 12 vdc "porcupine" with ~100 LEDs pointing everywhere

Glass bulb with LED guts 12 vdc
(no detailed specs... Contact vendor?)

Whole bunch of LED (12, 24, 120 etc) and 12vdc CPFL, and others (contact vendor for specs on glass bulbs with LED "guts")

C Crane LED "bulb" page
(many types of screw base bulbs available)

The above should be a good start.

-Bill

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Click here for a multicolour 5W LED that can screw in directly to an E27 socket (90 - 240VAC), and comes with a remote control that allows you to change the color of the LED. :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
gorn said:
This place might have what he's looking for.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison.html
They have ONE 12VDC with a medium screw base. Most use The MR16 base.
E27-W24-12V narrow or wide angle
Sales page
http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison.html

I only bought the 115VAC versions of the bulbs. My comments on those follows:

Model E27-W24 Narrow Angle - View angle too narrow>>can't read newspaper with a 3 to 6 inch spot. Purplish tint to beam very annoying. Gave away.

Model E27-W24 Wide Angle - View angle too wide >> dim. High colour temperature. Gave away.

EDIT
Try find one that uses Luxeon LEDs. The colour/tint is much much nicer.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[fanboy]YOU TALKED TO Q? THAT IS AWESOME![/fanboy]

havand, the episode you're thinking of is season 3, episode 13, entitled "Deja Q." I saw it a few weeks ago.

Star Trek is uber-cool, and Q doubly so.

Oh yeah, light bulbs - nope, didn't find any.

gorn

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
All of those bulbs require 120 volts AC; "Q" is looking for medium screw base lamps that operate at 12 volts DC.

I guess you didn't look at all of them. The E27-W24-12V Low Voltage LED bulb is 12 volt. I didn't take the time to look at them all. There may be more 12 volt ones there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts