Freddy Fender RIP

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have to ask "who's he" this won't mean anything.

Freddy Fender, the Tejano entertainer, died yesterday (Saturday) about noon of cancer. I had gotten to know him and his wife. He was a genuine good guy. The world's a smaller place now.

Last edited:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
His better known hit, "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" came out when I was in high school. Funny how songs from that time in my life seem to be so well remembered. It was a happier time back then.

Sorry for your (our) loss BIGIRON. I'll bet you have some fond memories and some stories to tell.

Best to you,
-Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Indeed RIP Freddy - prayers & positive thoughts to the family, friends, & fans as the "Circle of Life" once again completes itself with another one of us.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a teenager in the late 70's and my grandfather used to take us to the country to ride horses and shoot 22's.

Freddy Fender always road shotgun in the 8-track the whole way. I never forgot that music and hear it in my head today. Reminds me of my grandfather everytime :) ... RIP

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry for your loss BigIron.

(had an image of Freddy, but couldn't get it to work..)

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, PB. That's a good link.

Freddie never left his poor south Texas Chicano roots. Several years ago, I was hanging out while he worked on the wipers of his '54 Chev flatbed (he was very much a car/bike guy - his favorite ride was always his '52 Harley). A fan stopped to chat - Freddie always had time for his fans - and part of the conversation referred to Freddie's "getting rich". He replied, honestly, that all it meant to him was that sometimes his family could have steak with their "tortillas y frijoles".

I've had Freddie and the Texas Tornadoes on the box all morning. Makes me feel sad, happy and proud.

lukus

Enlightened
I've seen the Texas Tornados twice years ago at Antone's. Good shows. "Is anyone going to San Antone?" a great song. Doesn't really fit in any category; kind of a mix of country, tejano, early rock and surf. And it works.

Wasn't he in the Sir Douglas Quintet?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure. I know he and Doug Sahm were friends and both were in Corpus during some of that time.