McLuxIII-PD and Spy Owners...opinions please!

DDS

Enlightened
I have been looking at both of these for awhile now. I was about to buy the PD today and saw a post about the resurrection of the Spy 005. I have the funds to buy only one of these lights. This will be my first 'high end" purchase for a bit. For those of you that own both of these, which one would you keep if you could only have one? Why?
Thanks! Dave

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
DDS said:
I have been looking at both of these for awhile now. I was about to buy the PD today and saw a post about the resurrection of the Spy 005. I have the funds to buy only one of these lights. This will be my first 'high end" purchase for a bit. For those of you that own both of these, which one would you keep if you could only have one? Why?
Thanks! Dave
I own both and I would have to go with the PD, but this is a hard desicion. It depends on your needs, the PD is more of a thrower compared to the floody runtime monster Spy.

They are both great lights,and honestly you'll be happy with either one. I know both of mine are keepers! (Ti PD & Spy005)

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of pictures to tide you over;
77458995-M.jpg

77459052-M.jpg

I really, really like my "bare" alum PD, however if I HAD to keep just one, it would be the SPY 005. The "dual" batteries and very unique multi -level switch are amazing. Both of mine are keepers.

jeffb

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSCN7886sm.jpg

In my opinion The Spy 005 is an amazing flashlight.
The McLuxIII PD is a tool grade extreme condition resistant heavy duty flashlight and is also an amazing flashlight.

My Spy 005 is treated with more care by me than my PD. Not because it is any less durable or capable but because I consider the Spy 005 to be more of a dress light than a tool light.

I enjoy both flashlights very much. You really can't go wrong either way.
Since I have several Pd's I am a little biased to their favor. I EDC a U-Bin PD.
I do not EDC my spy. The SPY 005 would make a great EDC flashlight for the right person. It is not the right light for me to EDC.
somelightscrsm.jpg

In a way these lights to not stand up well to comparison.
They are completely and totally different in every way except for one thing The Beam produced is pretty much the same with the spy005 being slightly more floody.
The approach that these lights follow to produce light is very different. Just go to the FAQ's which are available for each light to find out what makes them so different.

Those same FAQ's will be a good source of information for you.

If I were in a position to be making this choice today? I wouldn't change a thing. Buy both. If faced with the "only one" choice it would have to be a McLux III PD. Simply because it lends itself more towards my style of carry than the Spy 005.
The Spy 005 is a fancy flashlight. The PD is more plain.
This whole answer is very mixed up and not crystal clear to me either.
Both are great. The best advice I can give is for you to determine what you need this light for. How will it be used. Then determine which light fits your planned use and mode of carry best.
Oh and one more thing. No matter which one you choose.. Go to http://www.artofthehide.com/Holester.html and order a HOLESTER for your new light. You will not be able to find a better holster for either flashlight than you can from Matt.
He produces the best holsters for the best flashlights in the world.
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

DDS

Enlightened
PSM: Thanks for your feedback. I am leaning towards the PD as the FIRST one to get now :). I have looked at it for a very long time and it seems to be a tank and a lifetime torch.

jeffb: thanks for all those fantastic tempting pics! Defintely encourages one to want both!... which is what I will probably do eventually.

yaesumofo: I really appreciate your detailed response and rationale; it really makes sense. I am really in to "tool" things from knives, guns, watches, gadgets, etc. In fact , today I received one of my favorite tool watches...a Sinn UX. I now think it deserves company with a new PD!. I'll wait until next year for a SPY and my luxury light :) Thanks for your convincing narrative! Now just to decide on tints!

Thanks guys, Dave

marxs

Enlightened
the spys a great light...if i was a spy id definately have one in the aston and one in my pocket.

joking aside...i think the UV1J tint that Don is offering is perfect. the high beam is just plain "white" with no tint at all (not cool/not warm). some describe it as vanilla or creamy, i just think its "white." its quite bright too for something this small, i was amazed. on low its more on the warm end as to be expected of a V1 tint. this is also good outdoors, colors render better to my eyes than a colder tint.

mark

mmace1

Enlightened
Where can one find some centralized info on these 2 lights?

DDS

Enlightened
marxs: thanks for the tint suggestion on the PD. After reading the threads by owners of this tint, it sounds like the one for me.

marxs

Enlightened
if you want to see a beamshot of the low beam, you can check out the mcgizmo forum. theres a thread i started "PD on low" or something like that. someone was kind enough to post a beamshot of the low beam color if you are particular with tint.

mark