The disassembly urge???

Dark Mower

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post. My question is how many people take apart lights? I only have a couple of light but the more I play with them, the more I get the urge to take them apart. Am I the only one with the urge? What lights are the easiest to disassemble? I think it is funny that companies go to lengths to design a light and I want to take it apart. Is my urge the first sign of a modder's desease?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. I feel your pain. My urge to disassemble things go way beyond lights but lights are a lot of fun since they're relatively inexpensive to take apart and modify. I can't speak for anyone else but if you look at the modders forum you will realize you're in very good company here.

My recommendation is to go ahead succumb to the urge. I like to modify anything, but Surefires are my favorite hosts since they're very high quality and there's enough room to improve them that it's worth it to modify. Anything with electronics in it is fair game for me. I'm not a mechanical guy so the scope of my modding is pretty limited to electronics but I have a Dremel tool and I'm not afraid to use it :D

marxs

Enlightened
i like to dissasemble, its quite fun. havent done it on lights though, but ive done it on computers, swapping parts, fixing stuff, or just for fun. god knows how many cpu/mobos ive screwed up in the learning process of tinkering.

mark

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always trying out lux V in a lux III flashlight, or boring out to use 18650 batteries. The worst thing I keep doing is over powering and burning up my led's by removing the resistor, trying 3.6v RCR123 batteries, or something stupid along those lines even though I know better. It's the curiousity factor that will always get you!!!!:lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am glad somone spoke out becuase i thought i was the only one that had it. i just get such an adreniline rush when i take apart 200+ dollar lights one wrong move and your out 200+ or if you lose that tiny little screw or you know how it goes in but you just cant do then you finally do get it in and your all nervous and you say to your self i am never going to do that again then a week later your doing it again.

have a great night,oh and welcome to CPF were glad to have you abord

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pulled apart my parents TV when I was about 11. No one could put it back together so that it still worked. That tought them to never leave me at home alone again. I have not gotten the urge to pull any of my lights apart yet as I am happy with their performance. Maybe one day.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome,
I also like to disassemble things to see what makes them tick,
the hardest part is putting it all back together again

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the "disassembly urge", it's a must do thing, not only to flashlights it's for everythings. :grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I tend to follow the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, once something does break I very much enjoy trying to diagnose the problem and fixing it, at least if it can be done with duct tape, bailing wire, WD 40, or super glue.

Geoff

ufmace

Newly Enlightened
I have an urge to take apart anything I can get my hands on! My ability to resist the urge depends on how expensive the thing is and how much I need it. Also how hard I think it will be to put it back together.

I tend to be more mechanical, though. I like taking apart guns, because they have clever mechanical workings. Flashlights not so much, but I still take them apart, just because I can.

cloud

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF ufmace

Yes I have the urge too... to take all manner of things apart, even thought they work perfectly!! much to the dismay of my partner :shakehead ..

Oh and flashlights aswell :)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long before candlepower and even the internet my parents told me that as a toddler and older I was a flashlight disassembling terror, I could tear one apart faster than my dad could reassemble them. I was just in training for the day when I could buy my own flashlights to take apart. Surefires are the adult version of legos for chronic disassemblers.