Is there such thing as a 7 Watt Luxeon?

Sable

Enlightened
The new Luxeon K2 LED can be driven at 6.5w, which many folks round up to "7 watts," including FlashLightReviews.com, in their review of the SureFire head containing this LED.

So, yes, there is such a thing. Many people feel that the improvements over the Luxeon III aren't significant in terms of light output, as the K2 gets very, very hot during use.

Cheers!

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
OM gosh, you are looking at the venerable Golston at this URL:
http://batteryjunction.com/7waluledfl.html
The led is not a true 7 watt it is a 3 watt. The Chinese use marketing stratagies whereas you will see the same light called 3W, 7W, 8W, etc. The loose translation for the idiom is "exagerated wind". The 7 watt rating is a play on the power formula. However, this light from the right vendor is reported to be brighter than many of the new K2 models. I am very familiar with the Golston. It is slightly overdriven and very bright, possibly the brightest single LED on 2 CR123 batteries. There are some new challengers from the K2. Some folks listened to me about this light and therefore it found its way into Police departments in the USA and Italy. No one has said anything negative about it, when the right one is obtain. This light will run on non-rechargeables and rechargeables and handle 3.0 volts, 3.6 V and 3.7 V, not all lights will do that. That inability was a cause for some Golston variant failures.
here is the CPF thread, very long, much discusion:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103057
here is the retail source of several models:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/luxeon-lights-c-76_87_91.html
I PREFER THIS ONE:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/golstonreg-2xlir123a-waterproof-rechargeable-recommended-p-409.html
Here is the contender, a K2, 6.5 W with a high low variable output. Again it is overrated at 10 watts by USA methods of power determination. Look at the actual LUX readings in the photo at the bottom of the page. This vender is CPF member, DAE, I communicate often with him and this is very trustworthy material on his site. He did the comparisons at my request.
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/super-bright-rechargeable-recommended-p-450.html
and here it is in haaaard anodizing:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/super-bright-haiii-2xlir-rechargeable-p-486.html

Another thing to consider, in real life a tactical light needs to be on or off, only two positions on the switch. The last thing you want is that light to go on in a secondary condition by accidnt or fumble if you are facing potentially lethal threats. Unless you are in that kind of career that new hard finished 2-mode light looks like a real winner, a direct competator to lights costing 10 times as much.

daveman

Enlightened
Northern Lights said:
I am very familiar with the Golston. It is slightly overdriven and very bright, possibly the brightest single LED on 2 CR123 batteries.
The Golston is actually quite unimpressive on CR123s; it's made to shine on RCR123s. Just a little semantic error :)

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
daveman said:
The Golston is actually quite unimpressive on CR123s; it's made to shine on RCR123s. Just a little semantic error

True, thanks.

We usually use the lir123, 3.6 volt unprotected cells sold on the same site.

But I know a few are run on CR123s because that Department issues the camera batteries so those guys do not buy any batteries and you really do not notice the difference unless you put them up side by side. Additionally in my circle of Golston users 4 use the 3.0 protected rechargeables and you cannot notice a difference. In all I have had access to a good number of Golstons and various battery combinations this past year. I do not think you would be disapointed if you ran the variant I am writing about on CR123 primaries, but it is better on rechargeables.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights your post has been most informative. Overall, would you say either of these flashlights will be a long lasting tool worth the money?

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
Northern Lights your post has been most informative. Overall, would you say either of these flashlights will be a long lasting tool worth the money?

Yes, I would. The only caution is to be sure the vendor you choose has the light that will be the same internally as the ones I recommended.

I cannot confirm this to be fact but from my research through the internet and purchases I have made I believe the production of these lights as well as many others follow this path:

A major sized factory produces the parts as the aluminum housing, therefore they look the same.

Small firms assemble the lights or the same firm assembles them according to different specifications.

Often different assembler/produces will name their lights the same. There is a thread that states Golston, a well known manufacturer, does not even make this light! You see this with the wild claims of xW light. Same light bigger numbers everytime a new vendor enters the market.

They hit the market looking a like but preform differently. If you notice in the main CPF thread all the variations members have found internally on this 7W Golston model.

Maybe your best bet is to post a thread and ask if anyone has purchased a particular light from the specific vendor and see what the members have found and said about the product and firm offering it. Then take your shot at the one you feel is recommened.

This light appears in the inventory of 5 firms I know to get mentioned on CPF. The prices range all the way up to $70. That is why even if it is a few dollars more, I stay with a proven vendor. I think you can deduct where I have obtain more than just a few.

Thanks for the conversation. I enjoy this forum, members and hobby.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened

Luckybobo

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 7 w Golston from qualitychinagoods recently. I think the one I got is the latest version using 2 rechargable protective 123 cells. It is extremely bright and I get 35 to 40 minutes of constant brightest before it shuts down. I am very happy with it. It becomes one of my favorite lights. I appreciate North Lights' recommendation of this light.

I am still looking for a small led light of that size that can outshine this light but I can't find any. Maybe a new updated version of Huntlight FT-01?

Jahn

Newly Enlightened
I just got the K2 6.5W last night - very easy to pop into my Maglite 3D and it DESTROYED the incandescent krypton stock bulb! Thanks CPF, with this I'm "one and done!"