My latest titanium acquisition.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Just got home from five days in the hospital, with a new titanium hip replacement, I'm only 53 but it's been crook for about eight years. Everything went very well, much less pain now than before the op, overall a great success.
Norm :)

BladeZealot

Enlightened
Congrats on the successful operation :D

I've an artificial {Ti} hip replacement myself. Got it when I was around 35 {ten years ago}. It's great we live in an age when such is possible is'nt it :D

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks Russ, I have a list of spare parts; lens implants (cataracts) Kidney transplant (lasted 9.5 years) back on the waiting list now.
Norm

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
what a coincidence, so did my brother just have a hip replaced; just one incision 3-4" or so, a new technique..amazing..he didn't say what the new hip was made of though.. he has to have the other one done too..he's 62, I'm 53, but my hips seem ok..knock on, um, wood, bone? ti?
Good health and Good luck, Norm.

havand

Enlightened
What, no pics? I wanna see foging/machining of the medical level!!!

Haha, just kidding. Glad things went well for you. Hopefully you'll be back up in no time.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your decrease in pain. In my book, that definitely makes a surgical procedure worth the while!

For my experience with a Ti implant, see this thread, posts 45, 56, and 58. I've had it for about a year, and I'm 20 now.

How ironic: my mother goes under the knife today to replace her existing Ti hip (that was put in about eighteen years ago). Apparently, it's a pretty big deal the second time around. She's supposed to be in the hospital for a few days.

Glad you're doing well, Norm. :)

jtice

Flashaholic
Glad to hear everything went well.

I am going on 27, and will need a hip replacement in a few years I figure.
I have hip perthes, http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com/Topics/Perthes/perthes.html

I still get around, but much more than a few miles of hiking will get it pretty damn sore.
Not to mention that leg is almost an inch shorter, figure thats helping my back alot.

I hear the hip replacements are fairly common and easy to do now.
i am not looking forward to it at all, but it seems that most are better off once its done.

~John

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
surgery is over rated; you go to sleep, you wake up, you're better...

(before the operation I had my brother convinced that he had to go back to the hospital once a year to get it lubricated! really. :) )

Norm

Retired Administrator
arewethereyetdad said:
How ironic: my mother goes under the knife today to replace her existing Ti hip (that was put in about eighteen years ago). Apparently, it's a pretty big deal the second time around. She's supposed to be in the hospital for a few days.

Glad you're doing well, Norm. :)

The nice thing about the hips they use now is that they have a replaceable cup instead of replacing the lot.

Norm

Norm said:
The nice thing about the hips they use now is that they have a replaceable cup instead of replacing the lot.

Norm

Apparently she needs the whole lot. :huh:

Edit: nope, you were right: she just needed the new "cup" piece. That's good news. She's out of surgery and doing just fine. :)

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
TedTheLed said:
...(before the operation I had my brother convinced that he had to go back to the hospital once a year to get it lubricated! really. :) )
HILARIOUS!! Probably too late to ask him where they inserted the "Zerk" fitting?!! :crackup:

(Could have used pics 3 & 6 on that link's page to show him!? Ok...maybe not!:D )

Last edited: