Surefire L2, L4, KL4 questions--and which would you choose?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm not much of an LED guy so I hope these aren't obvious questions:

First, how does the output of the L2, L4, and KL4 compare? I heard that the L4 was recently re-measured to be 100 lumens like the L2, but the KL4 head (which the L4 uses) appears to still be rated at 65. Anyone?

Second, any preferences between the L2 and L4 (or L4-type light?) The L2 has the 2-stage switch and longer body (I have large hands) going for it, but the L4 has full parts interchagability.

marxs

Enlightened
The L4 is essentially a KL4 head with an E2E body. The L2 and L4 have the same beam pattern and are both rated at 100 lumens. The L2 however drives the lux V a little bit harder, and will be slightly brighter on high compared to the L4, though most people dont see the difference.

If I had to choose, it would be the L2 for the hi/low modes. The only factor I love of the L4 is the shorter length plus you can play sf lego with the KL4 (eg KL4 + E1E/VGB1 body).

mark

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 or KL4 is a wonderful WIDEBEAM flashlight or head alone.

The KL4 will run on a single rechargable cr125 bettery in a single cell body.
If you can buy this light at a brick and morter and have them light up each KL4 based flashlight. Look for White and bright. While not easily seen in the day look for a doughnut in the beam. AVOID THOSE IF POSSIBLE.
The KL4 head is great. When you have a KL1 and a KL4 head you have the best of of the wide and throw in two heads. a great place to start playing SureFire legos!!
Have fun.
Yaesumofo

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a KL4, still have an L4 and L2. KL4 and L4 are identical. The beams are nearly identical for all thre. Overall brightness depends somewhat on Luxeon lottery. The regulation of the L2 and L4/KL4 is slightly different, the L2 being more a regulated low level light with a high power boost mode.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you feel you'll need lots of light all the time, get the L4. It has good runtime with high output. If you want something a bit more practical, the L2 is a better choice. The L2's low is actually very useful.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you've read it all over the place, but I haven't seen anybody mention it in this thread. If you get the L4/KL4, you can always find a McE2s (McGizmo dual stage tail cap) and get the same two stage functionality of the L2. Some people are making/selling modified stock tail caps to cycle through two stages, too.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I bought an L4 as for me it was a better size for EDC. I have now obtained a KL1 head for it as the TIROS lens gives improved throw, whilst conserving battery power.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
When I played with the L4 and L2 earlier this year I found the L2 was noticeably brighter than the L4. Not hugely, not even twice as bright but it was brighter. Given that thought, the real selling point of the L2 is the two stage design. I find that the low is very usefull and that I love to have high as a reserve. The stock L4 would be too much light in a lot of situations. Yes- it does run longer but I find I do not need that level of light very often.

The big drawback of the L2 for EDC is the size. I find it just too long for pocket carry and it does take a larger holster. An L4 with the 2 stage tail cap may be the just the fix for this issue but that would not be 'off the shelf', not a bad thing just needs a bit of leg work. While big hands would make the L2 lenght not an issue consider how you are going to carry the light as well. I was surprized that the extra length was a factor.