Question about the 7.2 volt BIG D bulb (concerning the ROP)

fire-stick

Enlightened
Here's what botthers me about the thought of using the 6V bulb. The short bulb life and the potential for instaflashes. I know that using the 7.2V bulb will result in less output but if I want my bulb to last longer and to be more reliable do you think it's worth it to go with the 7.2 volt bulb?

Thanks

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
well... i think this would better be in the incandescent forum...

but anyways... I personally run my ROP on 2x16850's so I'm stressing the bulb more than w/ AA's...

however, after using the HI bulb for a while its a pretty dang good bulb... i haven't even busted my first one and its gone throw mult. charges...

from what I've been told... the HI bulb is a very reliable, long lasting bulb...

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant see an instaflash at 7.2v. I too use two unprotected 18650's in my ROP. My cells come off the charger at 4.15v each, so each time I fire it up with hot cells I hit the bulb with 8.3v. I have yet to instaflash a bulb, both high and low. Tuff little buggers.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUQ said:
I cant see an instaflash at 7.2v. I too use two unprotected 18650's in my ROP. My cells come off the charger at 4.15v each, so each time I fire it up with hot cells I hit the bulb with 8.3v. I have yet to instaflash a bulb, both high and low. Tuff little buggers.
yeah... same here... i get my 2400 LG's up to exactly 4.2v... thats 8.4v.... its BRIGHT for a few seconds... then calms down

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have popped a high-output bulb on high-current Sub-Cs before when lighting hot off the charger (bad habit of mine). If you are concerned about instaflash risk and bulb life, you may want to drop one of the cells - make it a five-cell NiMH pack instead of a six cell pack. This will give you the lower voltage while retaining use of this common bulb. You already know about the loss of light.

With six AA's in holders, you can use one dummy cell and try it out, see if you like it.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have popped 2 of the Hi lamps running 6x CBP2500's hot off the charger. Using "AA" cells you have a slim chance of instaflash.

Mac