Run a Thor off a 15VDC power supply?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if I could use the 15VDC power supply I use to charge my Thor to power the light via the other port? The other port is for the cigarette outlet IIRC but I don't remember if it was for charging or running direct, I believe it was the latter. I picked this up in Japan so it was missing some items and proper instructions and the US recharge unit were among them.

I remember talk that the bulb is under driven with the 12V SLA and that power supplies sag under load so I was thinking that it might work and give me a brighter light to boot.

TIA,
-LT

MoonRise

Enlightened
Should be no problem. As long as the power supply is up to supplying about 8 amps, if you have a standard 100W bulb in there. If you have the bigger wattage bulb in there the current draw is higher obviously.

One port is the charge the battery (do not try to run the light from that port, the inline fuse in the cord will blow, guess how I know this one?), and the other port is to run the light.

The ports -should- have some labeling near them IIRC?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the "other" lamp MoonRise refers to runs 130W in high beam mode, which means your supply will need to be able to run an 11++ amp load.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the missing info, it's a 10M Thor with the smaller reflector not the 15M monster.

I guess I'm out of luck since my supply is only 2A, oh well. Seriously, 11+ amps? Yikes, I couldn't use that to charge it could I, the SLA would charge to quickly wouldn't it?

-LT

MoonRise

Enlightened
2A x 15V = only 30W

To run the 100W bulb, you need at least 100W of power supply.

100W / 15V = 6.67A, allowing for some overdrive, voltage sag, etc, you need a 15V power supply capable of 8A.

You should be able to use that 15V power supply to charge the SLA just fine. Might want to drop the voltage going into the battery 1-2V though. Simple dropping resistor would work, or go a little fancier and rig up a voltage regulator circuit ala LM314/LM317 constant voltage circuit. Or rig up a intelligent/semi-intelligent chrager circuit.