Celebrating our Community - membership now 520+ !

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Celebrating our Community - membership now 520+ !

Well, CPF was started by DavidW, on 7th Aug 2000.
( All hail DavidW ! - I mean, just look at the number of new members who say something along the lines of "I thought I was the only one !" )

I'm member no 260, joined at the end of Feb 2001 ~7 months after the start.
Now, only ~4 months later, in July 2001, membership is double what it was when I joined, and has gone past the "magic" #500.

That looks like accelerating growth to me. OK, some members will have dropped out, but there must be plenty of people reading but not yet registered.

Membership now -

Spudgunr is 16, and I guess he's the youngest.

So who is the oldest member ?

Some time ago, mikep posted a question asking if there were any female members of the forums - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000009

Shame that there don't seem to be any, I mean, we aren't sexist - we're too sophisticated for that !?

Steelwolf is the only dude from the Antipodes, I think.
(One person out of a whole continent !)

There's Alan from Hong Kong, plus a few others from there.
And some members from Singapore and Thailand.

(Spidey82, what is sg ? South Georgia ? )

Phantomas 2002 and Ghost, from Germany.

UK - about 8 members.

Glad that K Horn got his no 19 back - it would have irked me, if I had such a low number and then lost it.
Those low number guys were true pioneers
smile.gif

DavidW is member no2.

So, whom is member no1 ? He/She has never posted !

I picture some kind of God-like figure, who knows everything about flashlights and LED's and batteries etc. but stays out of the way, smiling indulgently at our attempts to ummm, do whatever we do as Flashaholics.

Lite-Lover
tongue.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Hey Lite-Lover maybe I am crazy, but we aren't a year old yet. This august we will be. I don't know who is #1, that is the first log on person, hummmmm, I don't think #1 exists, David #2, #3 is shall I say an alias or an absent member, never posted and I am number 4, cool!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Hey Lite-Lover maybe I am crazy, but we aren't a year old yet ......... I am number 4, cool!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that is cool Brock.

And no, you're not crazy - I typed the dates wrong - thankfully, few people would have seen it with the 18 month mistake I originally typed. It's been edited away now.
blush.gif

If there are *spare* low numbers, then why don't we auction them/raffle them for fun and fundraising for some purpose ?
Apart from anything else, the Internet costs must be high. Or maybe invest a little to make the board

f-a-s-t-e-r ?

Lite-Lover, member no 260, CPF

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...I thought I noticed a female...I did a search but couldn't find the string. I remember I checked this person's profile and they were a security officer (or night watch-person?) in Australia, and his/her email started with "h4rdcore"
shocked.gif
...can't remember the name, other than it seemed feminine to me, at the time...
tongue.gif
--any way of reviewing all the members names? or email addresses?
I was waiting for someone to say something...she/he was thanking us for all the info and help -- so thought of saying something Crocodile Dundee might say--like; "..always glad to help out a jane.." but thought better of it, it might be sexist....so who was it?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Member #1 is an administrative profile for setting up the board. The profile has to be nuked to complete setup and close the security risk. So technically there is no member #1.

I will not delete anyones profile or turn it over to someone else.

Yes webhosting costs are high. But I'm slaving away to keep you guys happy. I will not charge nor ask for donations. We're on a fast server now. But UBB6 takes a lot of memory (rather than processor time) to keep it going fast.

This has turned out to be a great community. It's nice to know there are at least 520 flashaholics (anyone remember who first suggested that title?) in the world on the internet. Maybe the rest will find their way here
grin.gif

David,

Many thanks for starting this board from a Flashaholic who has found "home".
smile.gif

Just wondering... Is the board's home page listed with all the main search engines?

That would help let folks know we were here. When they go searching for "led flashlight", Candlepower Forums ought to be one of the top "hits" from any search engine.
wink.gif

If it's not "registered" with search engines, let the members help out. Have them go to their favorite search engine and submit a URL that has all the keywords embedded in it that links to here.

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
A TOAST!!!

TO ALL THOSE:

That used to love taking bulbs from the Christmas lights and hooking them up to their train transformers.

That used to steal the batteries out of Dad's flashlight when theirs were dead. Or just stealing Dad's flashlight all together.

That liked SOUNDDESIGN stereos over PIONEER, cuz they had more lights and buttons.

That built a dinky light out of popular electronics....(all it took was a simple circuit, a neon bulb and 12 nine volt batteries.

That don't think an item (radio,tv,flashlight) is really theirs until they take it apart.

AND THOSE who couldn't wait for the Christmas radio shack catalog cuz it had the FREE 5 cell FLASHLIGHT COUPON. With that and your FREE battery a month card YOU'D be in business by APRIL
grin.gif

Come to think of it maybe I am the only one and just plain nutz.

GREAT POST/THOUGHT Light-Lover

What K Horn said!

CHEERS!!!

My favorite saying as a youth, and still now, when it was discovered that I had dismantled some new toy...

"But it was like that when I got it"

grin.gif

Spidey82

Enlightened
I am from singaapore along wif a few others.
really loves this forum.
great info at all times.
most of all,
U ppl were a great bunch of Flashaholic
smile.gif

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
Hey Gadget,
"But it was like that when I got it" was used around my house, too. Except the time I took my mother's "Baby Ben" wind-up alarm clock apart, to see how it worked. (OK guys, I know it didn't use batteries ... so sue me). What I told her, while I was putting all those little wheels and cogs and screws into a plastic bag was "I'll fix it". What I was thinking was, "yeah, in a million years. Why would anyone put all those little parts in here ... KNOWING I was going to take it apart and not be able to put it back together again."

Now, want to hear something even stupider(?) than that?

I was reading Brock's stuff at his web site when he announced he was going to be a moderator here. I checked out CPF and have been lurking until recently. I never would have believed this site would have over 500 (and counting) members. I could have been number 5 ... instead of number 503. Color me stupid!

But it doesn't matter. Just glad to be a member of the family!
smile.gif

KHORN: I didn't do the Christmas tree light thing, but I did have a car battery on the floor by my bed that I got from ...somewhere
... that I rigged emergency lighting to. I was the only 12 year old in the neighborhood with emergency lighting in his room. And, I guess the roots run deep, cause now that I'm grown, I've got auxilliary 12 volt wiring throughout my house, with a 12 volt light in every room, and a couple 12 volt fans ... all powered by golf cart batteries. It's cool if I do say so myself. If anyone reading this decides to do the same, make sure everything (including the ... no ... ESPECIALLY the batteries) is fused, fused, fused. I'll be glad to share more info on request.

Still waiting for that next leap in technology in solar panels ...

SEEYA

Bruce,

I still today get in the same predicament once in a while.
wink.gif

It's either that or explaining the "extra parts" when finishing a reassembly.
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
D-Free,
I still have a scar in the palm of my right hand, from removing the WOUND UP mainspring in my dad's Baby Ben in 1952.:O
p.s.-I did finally put that clock back together though,-it took me a week!
grin.gif
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
>TO ALL THOSE:
>
>That used to love taking bulbs from the
>Christmas lights and hooking them up to
>their train transformers.

Did that. I'd buy strings of miniature Christmas bulbs and the cut them up so I had individual sockets... put one in the end of a paper towel tube, put a long f lens in the other, presto! Instant "simulated laser".

>That used to steal the batteries out of
>Dad's flashlight when theirs were dead. Or
>just stealing Dad's flashlight all together.

Did that too, and also took apart a refrigerator tester of his to get the neon bulb out of it. (boy did I get in trouble for that!)

>That liked SOUNDDESIGN stereos over ?
>PIONEER, cuz they had more lights and
>buttons.

I put LEDs inside the speaker of a Sanyo boom box - then eventually did it to a big JVC, and made my own VU meter using bright green transparent case 3mm LEDs installed just inside each speaker with the LEDs seperated by about an inch apiece.
Looked VERY COOL at night.

>That built a dinky light out of popular
>electronics....(all it took was a simple
>circuit, a neon bulb and 12 nine volt
>batteries.

I remember stealing a 90 volt radio "B" battery a long, long time ago, and doing silly neon light tricks with resistors and caps. I've also "stacked" 9v batteries to get hundreds of volts for a super-shocker.
blush.gif

I also came across a very unusual neon that glowed pink and would fire directly off the terminals of a 69 volt fluorescent lantern battery.
Took apart a timing light and used it to power lots of neon bulbs - until it "went off" in my pocket in math class one day and the teacher threw it in the garbage and stomped it dead.

>That don't think an item
>(radio,tv,flashlight) is really theirs
>until they take it apart.

I *usually* wait till something breaks before I do any serious disassembly.

>AND THOSE who couldn't wait for the
>Christmas radio shack catalog cuz it had
>the FREE 5 cell FLASHLIGHT COUPON. With

I had one of those free lights once, but cannot remember whatever happened to it.
I see these show up at flea markets now and again.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Wow, this IS an old thread...probably from about when my website was "only" about 20MB in size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif :lol: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif