The Weather Channel?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or is the Weather Channel starting to look more and more like Good Morning America?

chiphead

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty much a weather geek. I've quit watching TWC except for special stuff like hurricanes or things like the major system in the south now.

The National Weather Service http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ has great stuff and all free. Most of it in real time or very current. Good resource. Takes a little time to learn their sites, but huge amounts of info if you'll seek it out.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the 80s and my single days, TWC played jazz all night and never said anything. I plugged my TV into the stereo so when the girls came over... I was set. Alas, do not leave the stereo on all night, the weather report in the morning will get you busted.

Love the weather but TWC is getting a little to excited about it.

redcar

Enlightened
Used to watch it a lot but no more. I agree with the Good Morning America comment. Here in the South East we have a lot of thunder boomers in the evening hours. Just when I want/need to see the radar after the weather radio just went off with a storm warning, they are playing that stupid storm stories and you do not get the "wx on the 8's". I've learned to get my wx from the computer (quickly before the storm roles in...).

Redd

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never watched it, but I've got The Weather Channel pluggin on my Firefox browser, which I use every morning to check the days weather.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
redcar said:
Used to watch it a lot but no more. I agree with the Good Morning America comment. Here in the South East we have a lot of thunder boomers in the evening hours. Just when I want/need to see the radar after the weather radio just went off with a storm warning, they are playing that stupid storm stories and you do not get the "wx on the 8's". I've learned to get my wx from the computer (quickly before the storm roles in...).

Redd
What weather radio do you use?

chiphead

redcar

Enlightened
chiphead said:
What weather radio do you use?

chiphead

I use an older Radio Shack SAME Alert Desktop Radio, model 12-250. I've had it a while, doesn't look like they sell it now. I am on the border of two counties so I have them both programmed in. Nice display showing the alerts and time left on them. I get the Amber alerts too. Has a yellow LED for watch and a red LED for warning (do I have that backwards?). Anyway red for the more serious. Has a battery backup.

Redd

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to watch it every day in the 80s and 90s to be aware of inclement weather for my motorcycle tours. It's changed alot. Further, its' accuracy leaves alot to be desired.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
get a nice davis vantage pro ,watch the local weather channel or news and your set, soon youll be saying "we dont need no stinking weather channel"

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
BIGIRON said:
The National Weather Service http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ has great stuff and all free.

Well it's free in the sense that it costs us the same whether we use it or not. You can be sure though that like all government agencies, its costing us a fortune. Nobody spends other peoples money as frugally as they spend their own. Governments always spend other people's money and you can be sure we aren't getting our money's worth.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use intellicast to see what is heading my way online. I agree about TWC becoming a good morning america clone. storm stories, katrina coverage ( still) now they have two talking heads on at 8 pm I believe. I wish they had an actual weather channel where the radar and local weather was all it showed. Every tv channel has become multifaceted, one example is Scifi channel on wednesday evening after Eureka ( an excellent show IMO) they have one of the bogus wrestling/ violent acting shows, and what wrestling has to do with science fiction other than the wrestling is also fictional.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider the NWS one of the best expenditures of my tax $.

Obviously, I was referring to the fact there are no pop-ups or subscription required.

The post is about weather not politics.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a general indicator, though I tend to check online if I want more precise conditions. The storm shows are so-so I have to be pretty bored to watch disasters occuring or have occured.