New Black Diamond Headlamp???

Montana

Newly Enlightened
I was briefly looking in the new Backpacker magazine and noticed an ad for a new Black Diamond headlamp. All I remember is that it was green and had one big 3W LED and two smaller LED's on each side. Anyone know more about this headlamp?

My apologizes if this has been discussed before.

-Montana

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the same add and am interested in this light. I am pretty sure that it has not been discussed too much on these forums as it is so new but if you hunt around a little, you will find information on the Princeton Tec Apex which is very similar to the Black Diamond light.

-Goatee

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
After looking at the picture of the BD Icon on the REI website, it appears to me that it has no way of dissipating heat from the main LED.

TMorita

Enlightened
ProofTech said:
After looking at the picture of the BD Icon on the REI website, it appears to me that it has no way of dissipating heat from the main LED.

Yup, that's the first thing I thought of.

The second thing I noticed is the manufacturer's statements don't make sense. If you look at the REI website, it says the manufacturer estimates 15 hours of light output at high power. Let's think about this:

3 watt LED * 15 hours = 45 watt-hours required
3 AA cells @ 1.2v, 2500 maH apiece = 3 * 3 watt-hours = 9 watt-hours available

Something is very strange here.

My current guess is they underdrive the 3 watt LED quite a bit and probably have a BOOST switch like the Petzl Myo XP for intermittent bursts of full power. This would explain the lack of a heatsink and the inconsistency between the power required and power available.

Toshi

Last edited:

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Hey Montana a warm welcome to CandlePower Forums,:)
i havn`t seen this before either !!! ....... Toshi, i was thinkin along the same lines " Something is very strange here" it doesn`t add up ........ and its really gonna have to go some to beat the Princeton-tec Apex

Montana

Newly Enlightened
TMorita said:
Wondering why you posted this thread in all the forums except the headlamp forum...

Anyway, you probably saw the BD Icon:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48093591&parent_category_rn=4500596

Toshi

TMorita,

I'm sorry...I thought I posted this in the LED forum, not in all the other forums...my apologizes. That is the headlamp in question though.

Hendo,

Thanks for the welcome. Lots of good information here, glad I found this site. Seems as if the Apex and Icon are due for a showdown soon. I know I would like to see the results.

-Montana