CPF members, are you a minor or an adult?

Adult.

Over 18, over 21???
smile.gif

Spidey82

Enlightened
still a teen for abt another halfa year,
and i would be entering in to a non-adult, non teen age.
care to guess?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

old, really old, somewhere near the grave, twenty-six....
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm 21.

Adult?! I'll be a "Student" to get discounts until my ID card expires in July 2004. Being a Student means you get away with so much more.

Minor? If a piano fell down a mine shaft and squashed me... I'd be A flat minor.
rolleyes.gif

But since one hasn't, I'm not.
tongue.gif

Al
grin.gif

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, an adult... 25.

26 in a few days, but trust me, I ain't countin' no'mo.
grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys really conduct yourselves nicely. When I first opened CPF I had installed UBB modifications geared towards banning. Fortunately I haven't had to use it or renew it.

I don't recall ever implementing a no flaming/trolling policy. Or even forbidding swearing. But you guys police yourselves very nicely.

Now to my question. Do you think we should allow swearing? Like "this flashlight is a piece of <u>poop</u>"? Or is this opening up a can of worms? I see some members tiptoeing around vulgarity with some inventive language. I think it's rediculous. Maybe I'm wrong.

mikep

Enlightened
Hmm, DavidW, you didn't post YOUR age, did you?
wink.gif

I'm 30. My opinion on swearing is that things are nice here without setting an actual policy. It's sort of nice that people have a bit of restraint, as most folks do around strangers in 'polite society', but I would hate to see you have to enforce a policy unilaterally.

On the other hand, your post reminds me of a quote from Bart on the Simpsons- "I heard some swearing, so I came to join in, hell-damn-crap!"

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom, wife, kids think I`m a juvinile but the mirror says I`m not. I was born the same year the Italian liner Andria Doria was sunk by the Stockholm.

Bad

LED-FX

Enlightened
35 going on 17.....

Hey,we all know what swearing is but it can look more offensive in writing theres enuff emoticons available already....

Adam

D

**DONOTDELETE**

(age: 19)

Swearing can (in my observations) tend to produce uninformative conversations if it is used or (forbid) encouraged. I'm thinking of the difference between:

"This thing is a %&@#%!!!"

And the alternatives of:

"This thing doesn't put out enough light to stub my toe with!" or "It's so flimsy I could cut it apart with a laser pointer!"

One tells you nothing but someone's vague dissatisfaction, where as the others at least identify the problem.

Due to the rather obscure topic, this board is probably not ever going to turn into a flame forum like certain newsgroups, but I still wouldn't like to have to comb through a bunch of one line posts to find the content.

I think that the board is probably fine as it is, without an actual policy one way or the other. I enjoy the way people are keeping themselves in hand now, and opening it up as a possibility sounds like a dangerous thing.

Since most of the people here seem to be mature, thinking people, I'd feel silly saying they shouldn't be allowed to cuss, and a jerk will probably be a jerk in any language. Frankly though, I'd rather feel a little silly than have to deal with a lot of cussing. Vulgarity is easy to come by, intelligent discussions about flashlights aren't.
smile.gif

One marker might be that if no one has complained about not feeling free to curse so far, then it probably isn't a problem and the situation is best left as it stands.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 5 year old says he is "small", his 8 year old sister is "medium", the neighbors teen age kids are "large", and daddy is a "humungeous giant" kid at 47.
grin.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Adult.

"Do you think we should allow swearing?" - definitely not, thanks for asking. Why contribute to the further degradation of society? Most people I hang with get through the day without swearing, don't see why it's needed here.

Joe

Luff

Enlightened
Geez, surely I'm not the oldest fart on the board at 50 ... maybe badbeam has a few on me, but then I don't remember when the Andrea Dorea went down.

I see no point in making an issue of swearing one way or the other unless it becomes an issue ... which it would the first time someone called another member a derrogitory, curse-word name. If that happens, the offending member ought to be exiled.

Otherwise, I'd hope folks here would continue to maintain their form of polite address. It's nice not having to wade through a bunch of crap.
icon18.gif

I think we do well to swear in our own little ways:

"Freakin', piece of sh*t, etc..."
If these self-censored terms are not offensive, I'd say leave well enough alone.

If I wanna call someone an a-hole (and spell it all out), I'll send them an email. Hehe!
grin.gif

Maybe we could change directions here...
Start an "Emoticon" topic. See what emotions people are wanting to use, but don't have an emoticon for. Then add those icons, or make them available in one place to link to.
wink.gif

To start off, I'd like to be able to use the little "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" icons IN my post.

Nevermind, I just realized how I could do that
icon4.gif
icon14.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adult, and I too am glad to see people policing themselves. As my parents always said, "Don't swear; vulgar language demonstrates a lack of intelligence." They also used to say "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." I'm pretty good at the first one, it's the second that gives me trouble...
tongue.gif

DP