Surefire L4

T4R06

Enlightened
questions to you guys about this light.
1. Where can i purchased lighthound? botac? etc.. and cheapest, fast, reliability and discount for CPF member.

2. Can i run this to 3.6V R123? protectected/unprotected. if not what is the alternative that will run, and ofcourse i want to be much brighter than primaries.

3. Whats in the package? lanyard? pouch?

4. L4 is my primary target. which im more on flood/wide beam. any thoughts L5?

TIA

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) search for botac before you buy there.

2) Not sure if you can do 2 R123s, might be too much voltage. Evidently the newest one will not accept 17670 Li-Ions. I doubt you will get any different output with rechargeables.

3) I believe only the light comes in the package. No Lanyard, no pouch.

4) Can't say much about L5, since I don't own one. They are quite a bit bigger though.

Scott

T4R06

Enlightened
Thanks scott. all sites are the same price for $165 except lighthound has $149. mostly says on the package comes with Z50 lanyard. and at lighthound has this newest L4 or the old one?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
T4R06 said:
mostly says on the package comes with Z50 lanyard. . .

Oops, I stand corrected then.

I don't know how old LightHound's stock is. I do know the newest packaging is a blister pack kind of thing, not a box.

Scott

T4R06

Enlightened
im pretty impressed with lighthound, they do fast response on email. yeah lighthound told me that it comes with a blister pack.

paypal here i come!!!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some L4s have donut holes. My impression is that you are more likely to get a donut hole with an L5, but it does appear to be a risk in all SureFires with Lux V LEDs.

Scott

luigi

Enlightened
The Donut holes are like UFOs, some of use see them some others don't but believe in them, a few just don't believe in them at all :)

I have an L4 and if it does have a Donut hole then I don't care because I use the L4 as a flashlight to light things not to point to a white wall from close distance and "admire" the beam :)

Try to search here for pictures of the donut holes and see if that will bother you.

The L4 is a great flood light get some 17670 rechargeable batteries for it and if you are lucky get a 2 stage tailcap switch and you will have a great light.

Luigi

T4R06

Enlightened
luigi said:
The L4 is a great flood light get some 17670 rechargeable batteries for it and if you are lucky get a 2 stage tailcap switch and you will have a great light.

Luigi

ok, what about these 18650? what is the diff? i know they are both 3.7v and 18650 is 2200mAH and 17670 is 1500mAH. any thoughts?

Last edited:

photorob

Enlightened
The 18650's will have a much greater runtime but unfortunately they will not fit it the L4's body tube. They us-to be able to fit in the U2 body until surefire figured it out and stopped that.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first two numbers are the diameter. The second two are the length. The last is the shape code. So, a 17670 is 17 mm dia., 67 mm long, and '0' for cylindrical.

Some newer L4s evidently will not accept a 17670. I just got a E2L which will not.

That leaves you with a 14 mm cell.

Scott

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
Obviously too late for you now, but OpticsHQ does Surefire torches for a total of 25% off.
Thus my L4 was under $130 before postage to Australia.
I highly recommend Mike and his staff at OpticsHQ.
Great communication and very well packaged. Waiting on my E1L now.

Regards
Dave

EDITED
This link is to greenLED's "CPF Specials" webpages/dealers
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56067

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure a Pila 168s will fit in any L4. Anywhere 2 CR123s will fit, a Pila 168s will. If there are any problems fitting the new Pilas in there, it's because of the increased capacity. An older, lower capacity, 17670 might not have any problems fitting in the newer body.

vleong1

Newly Enlightened
I just received my L4 today. It does not fit the 17670. So I sanded it lightly and now it fits although it's really tight.

Not sure what version I have but the center has a donut hole :thumbsdow

Last edited:

T4R06

Enlightened
@Tazambo - oh man, im browsin a while ago the opticshq. i didnt realize realize that they do have the discount 5-25%. maybe too much excitement on my part thats why i ordered quickly @ lighthound.

@vleong1 - where did you get your L4?

funny before i order the L4 @ lighthound, i called surefire customer service and the guy told me if i ordered they will estimated 4weeks to be delivered..

maybe ill try P14670 rechargeable

Last edited:

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Hey T4R06 I have the new model L4 and it fits AW's 17670 cells just fine, you should have had lighthound ship a few of those cells with your flashlight then you could have got them both at the same time. Also, my L4 does have a slight hole in the beam but it is only because of the way the Lux V appears to be made. Not a problem unless you dwell on the fact that its there and let it drive you plumb crazy. I have heard of people ordering the Beamshaper/diffuser made for the executive series and placing it on the L4 which seems to minimize the doughnut effect.

Last edited:

T4R06

Enlightened
@weskix- maybe AW just worried about when i emailed him about L4 and 17670. i have TM-301X-5 this light is freakin awesome. no donut at all