How to quiet your PC.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is in response to a CPF member named Harrkev that asked if I had any info on making his computer more quiet. I thought it more appropriate to put my response in the chit chat section to keep from making such a long post that went totally off topic in the LED forum. I don't have my own web site on this yet, but should in about a month (a lot of stuff going on right now). Until then, I can give you some very good URLs to start you out till I get my web page up. To start out with check out http://www.7volts.com/ They have some of the best info available. They also teach you how to run your case fans, Power Supply fan and CPU fan at 7volts instead of 12 which will cut down greatly on the noise, but still be good enough to get the job done unless you are heavily overclocked. I have most all of the fans in my computer running at 7volts and heat isn't a problem for me, but the noise level was reduced drastically! Also lining the inside of your computer case with Dynamat or other sound dampening material will also make a drastic difference in noise level.

Here http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ is a URL for Mother Board Monitor. It is a very useful free utility to monitor your heat levels in your computer case and processor to make sure you have sufficient cooling. There is also a program that reduces to a great extent how hot your CPU runs but doesn't affect performance at all. It is called Rain and most any overclocker will be familiar with it. The original author of the program has fallen off the face of the earth (well, I guess that would be internet), but the program can be downloaded from many locations. One of them is here http://www.benchtest.com/downloads/index.html

Another huge key to keeping a quiet computer is to get all of the quietest fans possible and go through your computer replacing all of those noisy stock fans. After very extensive research into this matter I believe that I've discovered the most quiet case fan on earth and one of the quietest CPU fans available that will still cool at a desirable level when run at 7volts instead of the standard 12volts.

The most quiet and efficient computer case fan commercially available is the Papst 8412NML (Note: There is a misprint of the part number on 7volts.com, the one I listed is correct). This case fan operates at 12volts at an incredible 12db noise level (most 80mm case fans operate at 30-50db) and can be used in a computer case or to replace a loud power supply fan. This fan is made in Germany and is hard to find in the U.S. without having to order it special from Europe. If you want an alternative that is a bit cheaper and much easier to find in the United States then I would go with the Panasonic Panaflo L1A 80mm case fan.

One of the most quiet CPU fans compared to the amount of cooling that they are capable of is the Golden Orb by ThermalTake. The home page can be found here: http://www.thermaltake.com/ While this isn't the most quiet CPU fan out there, it does a very good job at cooling and is only slightly more loud than the most quiet fan and does a much better job at cooling than the most quiet fan. When run at 7volts instead of 12volts, it is very very quiet. This fan operates at a noise level of 26.4 DBA at 12volts (For Model FC0370) and is much more quiet than that when underdriven at 7volts. Another advantage to this CPU fan is the fact that it is very cheaply priced and commonly available compared to other quiet CPU fans.

Last, but not least, one of the most quiet and very reliable Power Supplies available is the Enermax Whisper line of power supplies. http://www.enermax.com.tw/products/switch-main.htm The Enermax Whisper has 2 fans in it so that neither has to run at a very high RPM and therefore it keeps the noise level down compared to other power supplies. I still ended up replacing the fan that blows out the back of the power supply with the aforementioned Papst 8412NML which made for a very quiet power supply.

If you implement all of the previously mentioned tips then you can expect to have a computer that is about ¼ as loud as what you are probably experiencing right now. There is more than what I posted here, but it can wait till I get my web site up to go into any more detail. If anyone knows of any good quality quiet fans or any other good ideas for quiting your PC then please feel free to post so all can benefit. I hope this info helps everyone because it took a long time to type up and get all of the links in there, but it was all well worth the time spent in order to help combat the evil that is noise pollution!
smile.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
Thank you for this information.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to use it anytime soon. With a new baby in the house, and trying to BUY a new house, my wife won't even let me buy the limited edition ARC light
frown.gif

However, perhaps in a year, when I hope to build a new screaming Athalon system (maybe an Athalon 4), I would like to do this.

I appreciate the information.

Spork

Enlightened
my computer refuses to work properly unless i have the side of the case off with a desk fan blowing in. anyway I think the noise of a fan is soothing. especially cause i sleep during the day and it helps block other noise.

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
Interesting stuff. Good info. Thanks X-CalBR8.
smile.gif

I used to have a Pentium, 233. It was quiet. I now have a "screaming" AMD Athilon, and the CPU fan is quite a bit louder. Annoying at first. My computer salesman (friend of mine) replaced the 7 blade fan with a 12 (I think) blade fan, hoping it would be quieter. It may be, but not much. He explained that the faster chip needs more air, and that's why the fan has to be louder.

Anyway, I'm used to it now. I guess my ears have become accustomed to it. I hardly notice it anymore ... and it is WELL worth the trade-off for having a faster computer.

I'm thinking that eventually, as more people have faster computers ... and the noise problem is addressed, that someone will come up with a larger, or more improved fan that is quieter. Or ... maybe not. I'm still happy either way.

My 2 cents.
grin.gif

bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
Then there's water cooling. Koolance have a line of water cooled cases that are very quiet. You can get rid of your case fan and your CPU and graphics board fans.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other way to quiet your system down is to replace the high RPM case fans (and possibly the CPU, motherboard, and video card fans) with ones that are larger in size, and have a lower RPM. The lower the RPMs the quieter it will usually be. the larger size will allow it to still push or pull the same amount of air.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
my computer refuses to work properly unless i have the side of the case off with a desk fan blowing in. anyway I think the noise of a fan is soothing. especially cause i sleep during the day and it helps block other noise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also run my system with the cover off.
The fans don't bother me.

Back in the "old days" of computing, I had a large filing cabinet sized disk drive with a bank of fans so fast and large, it was about as loud as a very quiet vacuum cleaner, and when it started up, it sounded like the warp core of the U.S.S. Voyager being cold-started.

I slept with the thing on... so I guess "fan pollution" just isn't an issue with me.
At any given time, there are at least two fans running in the house (year-round) not counting the ones inside computer cases.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bikeNomad:
Then there's water cooling. Koolance have a line of water cooled cases that are very quiet. You can get rid of your case fan and your CPU and graphics board fans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you run the system with the cover off, you too can have a computer that looks like it was ripped right out of a Borg cube..
smile.gif

Another outfit sells a dye you can add to the liquid that makes all of the tubing & valves fluoresce in some pretty sick colors under a blacklight.

Add a $100 Luminglas plasma disc and you're all set.
grin.gif

Has anyone tried the squirrel cage fans?

Something like this. Although this one has terrible noise rating, 38dB at 4cfm...
gamma26l.gif

I know they are usually more quiet than a blade fan (hence, their use in nearly every home central air unit). They are usually bulkier, but I have seen some advertised that are intended for PC use, i.e. 12v plastic housing with about 1 sq. inch output.

I have one I use as an auxillary air supply for my woodburner. This particular one provides as much airflow as a hairdryer on High. But, the noise from the air moving is as loud as the noise from the fan "blades".

The noise you hear is more of a "whoosh" than a whiny fan noise.

So I wondered if anyone had tried any in a PC cooling application.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regular fan noise doesn't bother me, it's only when they get noisy, squeaky, etc. Amazingly, I've had the most problem with that happening to video card fans to the point where they drown out other computer noises. They are cheap little things, especially considering the cost of the cards in some cases. I've found much sturdier, quieter aftermarket fans for these and other computer devices at www.tennmax.com .