Question about RS 22-805 and computer hookup

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have been graciously donated a Radio Shack model 22-805 recording multimeter with PC interface, and I'm having a devil of a time trying to get my computer to talk to the thing.

The recording software runs in DOS, and accepts input through COM1 or COM2 only.
Problem is, no matter what I've tried, I keep getting "no connection" messages from the software whenever I try to start a session.

I've tried numerous settings, and finally went back to what my Windows sytem defaults to. I also went into BIOS ROM (because the COM port is on the motherboard) and set it manually.

I also tried using the Windows-based form of the software (allows for COM1 through COM4 to be used) and that doesn't recognise any ports either.

When set to COM1, I set the IRQ to 4, and the port address to $03F8.
When set to COM2, I set the IRQ to 3 and the port address to $02F8.

The motherboard's onboard modem uses COM4, so that is out of the question.
Going from memory as a long-time operator of a BBS, these port settings should be correct.
But the meter software refuses to recognise the port as being open under any circumstances.
Yet my digital camera works fine on the same serial port.

Before giving up, I also spent a few hours in Windows trying all kinds of bizarre port & IRQ combinations, and nothing worked.

Any ideas?

Should I just yank out the cord and build a seperate DOS-based machine using discrete ISA cards specifically for use with this meter?
At least with those things, you can f%*@#k with jumpers and know what IRQ and port addresses you're getting. :-O

Don't know if these will work, but can't hurt to try.

They're for the Sears PC interface meters. Who knows, maybe one of them will work?
wink.gif

http://www.metersupport.com/

Oh yeah, what version of Windows you using?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go, Go Gadget Flashlight:
Don't know if these will work, but can't hurt to try.

They're for the Sears PC interface meters. Who knows, maybe one of them will work?
wink.gif

http://www.metersupport.com/

If the protocols are similar enough, something ought to work... thanks
wink.gif

Oh yeah, what version of Windows you using?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Windows 95, rev. 950B.