[SOLVED] ARGH! Thread damage!

rik

Newly Enlightened
I've discovered why my Gladius feels a little crunchy when tightening up after changing the batteries. One of the threads has a slight chunk taken out of it! Interestingly, the damage is near the bottom of the thread, not the top, so it's not going to be from replacing the battery and putting the tailcap on badly. I suspect this is probably damage from construction .

It is just a nick in the thread, but it appears to be the cause of my problems.

What's the procedure now? Put up with it, or RMA?

EDIT: Solved. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Re: ARGH! Thread damage!

Hey, don't confuse me for someone who workd for Nite Ops, but here is their warranty statement (from their website):

night-ops.com/warranty.htm said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Night-Ops Illumination Tools are warranted to their original owner to be free from defects in parts and workmanship for the life of that owner.

This limited lifetime warranty DOES include the LED housed within the illumination tool.

At our option, Blackhawk Products Group will repair, replace or refund the purchase price of the Tool.

Excluded from this warranty are batteries, bulbs, and the associated electronics. The electronics are covered by a one year warranty with proof of purchase. The following conditions and exclusions also apply: Disassembly of any part of the light other than for battery replacement (as described in the instruction manual) will void the warranty as will alteration, misuse, battery leakage or lack of maintenance. Normal wear is to be expected under this warranty.

For each light submitted for warranty consideration, you must first obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number from Blackhawk Products Group.

Call 800.694.5263 or 757.436.3101 to obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization Number.

I would give them a call...then please let us CPFers know how they handled this!:whistle:
[/font]

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Never had a problem with my Gladius, but I had a bad O-ring in my spanking-new Falcata. Was nice dealing with them, though they weren't sure if they wanted the light back or not. Sorting this out took a couple of days, with a weekend in-between. Overall, it took me 3 weeks to get my light repaired (would have been 2 if they had told me directly they wanted the light back).

Just call them.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jay R said:
Smooth it out with a needle file ???

That would make an acceptable result if you don't want the RMA hassle. Use a triangular file with a 60-degree included angle (an equilateral triangle will have three 60-degree angles).

rik

Newly Enlightened

Right. Uhm. This is where it gets slightly embarrassing. See, what's happened now is that the Nyogel I bought from lighthound.com on recommendation from CPF members has, in fact, now reached where it needs to reach. This has pointed out to me that actually, the slightly sharp thread is, in fact, not a problem at all.

So, yes. Now everyone gets to make all the jokes about me not using enough lube... *facepalm*

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about it rik, it help's keep the forum's fun and interesting. I'll PM you
my (incident).