Problem with M6-Surefire Customer Service?!

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so Ive just dropped my 8 week old M6 on a carpeted floor. :awman:
It wasnt on when it fell, and it only fell down about 2-3 feet. It still worked when I checked it out. However, upon close inspection Ive noticed that there was a bit of "fog" inside the turbohead, and that the Lens was showing some slight residue. Turns out that the glass of the blub broke, yet it still worked. When taking it apart, most of the broken glass fell out. Yet, theres still residue on the lens as well as the reflector. The bulb wire is is intact, "only" the glass is missing.

Now, what can I do about this? I dont really want to send in the turbohead, and wait for a new one to arrive, making the M6 useless until the replacement arrives.

Is there any chance that SF will send me a replacement, before I return my old one? Also, I know its highly doubtful, but will they replace the bulb as well? After all the head is shock isolated, and should have survived this little accident without a problem... .

And I guess one thing is essential : calling the CS, instead of emailing them... :whistle:

HELP!

PS - could I clean up the turbohead myself-like flushing it out to get rid of the residue? Obviously I cant really get to all of the corners using a Q-tip to wipe off the stuff.
If there was a good way to do it, Id probably go that route, instead of going through the hassle of sending my turbohead in/waiting for a replacement... .

Last edited:

kennyj

Enlightened
Call SF. Not sure if they do, but many companies have advance replacement options, where you give them your credit card number, and don't have to return your item until you get the new one in. The credit card number's purpose is essentially to keep the honest customers honest.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually surprised even that the lamp broke!

I've dropped mine more than once and had no ill effects.

Surefire is pretty good about their replacement policy, but sometimes takes a while to send stuff out and then they ship USPS parcel post, which takes almost 3 weeks from southern California to central Washington State!

Good luck!

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Well, I did call them. The representative told me they would NOT send me a replacement turbohead, and that Id have to mail it in. His estimate was 2-4 weeks for the repair! :thumbsdow I told him that I couldnt really be without the light for that long, and so I asked him about cleaning (flushing) the head. He told me to go ahead, that it wouldnt affect their warranty, and that I could always send the head in if I wasnt happy with the results of my cleaning.

Well, I just cleant it, and Im not happy with the results. Just like expected.

I dont know what to do now-I really wouldnt mind that "advance replacement policy", but it seems like they dont offer it.

Im sure their warranty is top notch-I just cant believe that they expect you to part with your light, or components of it, for about 2-4 weeks. Yet worse-Im in europe, so Im afraid it may be even longer than that, due to mail traffic times.

I guess its time for another call now............. . Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
bwaites said:
I'm actually surprised even that the lamp broke!

I've dropped mine more than once and had no ill effects.

Surefire is pretty good about their replacement policy, but sometimes takes a while to send stuff out and then they ship USPS parcel post, which takes almost 3 weeks from southern California to central Washington State!

Good luck!

Im assuming the lamp was faulty. It worked just fine, but it really shouldnt have broken when I dropped the light today. Its supposed to be a combatlight, so this little drop shouldnt have killed it. Im sure the M6 will see much rougher use in actual combat situations.

Anyways. I did address this issue as well, and was being told that they would give me a new lamp. Some good news, at least. :)

xdanx

Enlightened
They will only send you a replacement if it under a certain amount of money. Probably to make sure that the light is actually broken and they are not sending a $178 turbohead to someone taking advantage of there warranty. But they will most likely replace it and send it back to you.

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Ive called them again, and the "advance return option" is a no go. They couldnt/wouldnt send me a head up front, even if they charged my cc. The only way would have been to buy one, but they are momentarily out of stock too. So, unfortunately, I will have to send it in and hope for a quick repair and return of my turbohead. :awman:

Makes me totally paranoid about more breaking lamp assemblies in the future. I mean if that means a return of the turbohead to get it cleaned...!

Last edited:

kennyj

Enlightened
Letting it sit in some isopropyl alcohol will probably go a decent way towards getting it cleaned...

Lamps blowing in the M series is not a terribly common thing, though, from what I've heard. I wouldn't expect this to happen too often.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like when you energized the filament without the glass/gas envelope you vaporized part of the filament and it deposited on the inside of your turbohead.

I would send it in. You will probabley have to acid wash the inside to get it clean creating many more problems.

Sorry to here about your troubles. Especially with a $400 dollar flashlight!

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
kelmo said:
It sounds like when you energized the filament without the glass/gas envelope you vaporized part of the filament and it deposited on the inside of your turbohead.

Sounds about right. When I turned it on briefly, to check it out, it created more "fog" inside the turbohead. :(

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
I'm actually surprised that the lamp still worked after it broke,

Me too! :grin2: Actually the filament is still intact, doubt that it would hold up any longer, though... .

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful using alcohol and solvents inside a shock isolated head assembly. I heard somewhere that the solvents can eat at the foam used to isolate the shock and could ruin it. I think Al (size15's) posted this some time ago. Just a heads up, not positive though.:)

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
dizzy said:
Be careful using alcohol and solvents inside a shock isolated head assembly. I heard somewhere that the solvents can eat at the foam used to isolate the shock and could ruin it. I think Al (size15's) posted this some time ago. Just a heads up, not positive though.:)

No worries-Ive sent it in, and have to be VERY patient now. I doubt that any further attempt of cleaning it myself, without being able to disassemble it, would have done any good.

Oh, and by the way, nice car. :grin2: Looks like a Plymouth...?!