Photon Proton's Place in the World

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I just ordered a Photon Proton, one of the most anticipated lights around. Or was. When I noticed they were on sale I decided the time was right.

Now there is Fenix, which might have displaced the Proton, at least in a lot of discussion of that class of light here on CPF. The Proton seems to have been delayed to the point of losing its place in the world.

So, where does the Proton fit in, anyway?

How does it compare to Fenix and other similar lights? (What are the other similar lights?)

Is the Proton more reliable, tougher, with more performance than Fenix et al? Or is it just another pocket flashlight that happens to have one red eyeball?

Scott

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
The Proton does not have any other direct competitor.

The Fenix type lights are very different from it in both output and capability. The Proton is the only 1xAA with a many-level user interface and red low-light function. The Fenix is a more traditional beam that everyone is familiar with.

I find that the Proton is well suited to in-house use for checking on the kids and navigating indoors late at night. I have used it also for a night light while traveling (on the lowest setting). I also like the clip, the light weight, and the easy to grip housing.

I really like adjustable output lights, and the user interface is very simple, yet versatile. My HDS U60 is much more complicated to use, and the interface gets in the way.

That said, I do not like the Nichia blueish/yellowish beam very much. I prefer the Peak Snow29 LED's, and may swap them soon. I encourage LRI to bring out a Proton2 with a luxeon and the Photon Freedom Max user interface (no red).

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I'm hoping for a Proton 2 as well ...... but definitely with the Red and maybe even UV LED !!

This light has soooo much potential - if only LRI would just get it right !!

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
jburgett said:
The Proton does not have any other direct competitor.

The Fenix type lights are very different from it in both output and capability. The Proton is the only 1xAA with a many-level user interface and red low-light function. The Fenix is a more traditional beam that everyone is familiar with.

I find that the Proton is well suited to in-house use for checking on the kids and navigating indoors late at night. I have used it also for a night light while traveling (on the lowest setting). I also like the clip, the light weight, and the easy to grip housing.

I really like adjustable output lights, and the user interface is very simple, yet versatile. My HDS U60 is much more complicated to use, and the interface gets in the way.

That said, I do not like the Nichia blueish/yellowish beam very much. I prefer the Peak Snow29 LED's, and may swap them soon. I encourage LRI to bring out a Proton2 with a luxeon and the Photon Freedom Max user interface (no red).
Perhaps it's because were practically neighbors, but I agree completely. Mine just went in for repairs, see other thread, and I miss them for moving around the house. The clip makes it easy to find without fishing in my pocket. I like that the switch is opposite the clip so I can always feel where it is.

warpdrive

Enlightened
for me.....they dropped the ball when they started falling apart (contact broke off).

Who knows for sure whether this issue is completely resolved? (I haven't been keeping up with them)

For me, the price is a bit too high given its output. It will be more tempting if they lower the price, and it has been proven in the field for a while.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I can do better than $60 for a made in China, easily breakable, "around the house" light. :)

Come to think of it, I saw a thread where people were willing to pay over $100 for an aluminum flashlight tailcap, so nothing really surprises me.

InfidelCastro

Banned
vic303 said:
I'd still be willing to buy someone's busted Proton for 10-20$...

You know when I clicked the thread title I was expecting to see a picture of a garbage bin with a proton laying at the bottom. :D

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I find the adjustable-intensity red LED to be one of the Proton's best points - it would truly be a shame if it were removed in some future revision. :shakehead: :( :shakehead: