Prayer/Thought Request: My Father-In-Law Suffered A Stroke

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week my wife ran my FIL to the hospital as he wasn't feeling well. Turns out he had a massive heart attack in the past (perhaps a year ago) and had severe arterial blockage around the heart. He's diabetic so he was likely asymptomatic regarding the heart attack. His platelette count is also low. He was transferred to UMD Medical Center in Baltimore. He had open heart sugery (bypass) on Monday- he died on the table but was resusitated. My wife and her brother were talking with him this morning in his room in the ICU. He suddenly went silent and still. Long story shortened: it appears he suffered a stroke. They are running an MRI right now.

I feel so bad for my wife and her brother, and ok, for her deeply psychotic sister (don't get me started- I am not exaggerating). Linda and I moved back East over five years ago to help her mom fight cancer. She lost that battle four years ago. We stayed in the area to help her dad out. We bought a home a mile away and we see each other several times a week. Her brother lives about 50 miles away and her sister, 100 miles away. He's retired Army (Lt. Col), a proud, strong man who is genuinely one of the sweetest and last of the great ones. Volunteered for Korea, taught in the D.C. schools for many years, also taught Jr. ROTC. He held down several jobs to help feed and house his family. He cannot walk the streets of D.C. without a former student stopping and dropping everything to come over and thank him for the impact he made in their lives. Talk about making a difference...

May I ask you to remember him and his children in your prayers tonight, if I may be so bold? Thank you.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prayers and best wishes sent out to him and your whole family in this trying time. I hope you all take time to rest, eat, and not wear yourselves out during this stress.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
They'll be in my thoughts and prayers.....even the psychotic one. Maybe, especially the psychotic one.

Cliff

tsl

Enlightened
Chronos said:
May I ask you to remember him and his children in your prayers tonight, if I may be so bold? Thank you.

Absolutely, Jim. Thanks for posting.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your father-in-law sounds like a great man, the type you don't see as much these days. He's obviously touched a lot of lives.

Prayers for him here.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, sincerely. The family thanks you all. We are so touched.

He has made slight progress. He can squeeze the doctor's hand, he does have moments of lucidity (how haunting- he then realizes his situation...). He cannot yet have an MRI as the external pace maker leads cannot yet be removed. No real details on short-, mid-, or long-term yet.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks one and all.

My FIL has been downgraded to the step-down unit, and he will be released to a rehab facility for 6-8 weeks. Then he'll probably need to move in with us for 6-9 months as he won't be able to live alone until then. So yes, this changes quite a few plans we had. Again, life is what occurs in between our plans...

To make things worse (oh, what a week :( ) my wife nearly suffered a heart attack on Monday. She's in great health and in her early 40s. She was driving to see her dad when she felt like she was going to pass out. She pulls over and calls OnStar- they rush out an ambulance- the paramedics mention something about almost coding, then gave her a nitro glycerin tablet. Her BP was 200+/nearly 200! She was then rushed to the ER. She was put on a beta blocker but she had another episode today, so now she's hooked up to a remote heart monitor and needs to stay in bed this weekend until the cardiologist can analyze the data. She's completely freaked out afraid she's going to die.

I apologize to anyone if I've been short or inconsiderate. I've had one Hell of a week.