I want a new light, any suggestions?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I am thinking on getting a new led pocket light and with all the new lights out there is getting harder and harder to decide. Can you help me spend some cash?

Here are my requirements
  • Variable brightness (With a very bright high mode)
  • Good throw with nice sidespill
  • Hard annodized a plus but not a deciding factor
  • Regulated is a plus but not a deciding factor
  • Glass lens
  • Can be run either from li-ions or 123's
  • Optics or reflector doesn't matter, as long as is pocketable.
  • Up to 6P size (around E2e size would be perfect)
  • Cost up to $120 (More or less)
I intend it to replace a SF Biased KL1 on a VG FB-2 body.

I already have the following led lights:

PR-T
LH
Fenix
KL1 Bias Modded (Want to replace with new light)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
AlexGT

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Alex:)

My ideas: Pierce M10 (not really different brightness levels) or one of the HDS-line

Best regards

____
Tom

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want AAA size, the Fenix LOP special edition. - 39.00
If you want cr123's, but it only uses rechargables..."the Firefly III review - 130.00 a few beamshots, and runtimes ... runtimes will be less with lights that modulate the brightness.

If you can live without variable runtimes.. the Fenix p1 gives 55 lumens and close to 2hr runtime for only 45.00.

Rechargables are typically 3.6 volts and around 900 mah, primaries are 3.0 and 1300 mah typically... so max runtimes will be the primaries, max brightness will be the rechargables.

Hope this helps....

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]EDC-B-42 from opticshq.com.
[/size][/font]

Illum

Flashaholic
i would've suggested the Surefire A2, but it cannot run on li-ions and its definitely greater than $120...nor does it have a glass lens [I really don't know what pyrex lens is]

for everything else it seems to satisfy IMO ;)

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS EDC, hard to believe an old timer such as youself does not own one. I like mine so much I dont always edc for fear of losing it. should not have sold my spare.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also recommend the HDS line of lights. One of the best lights that I have purchased. These are extremely useful, pocketable, bright and long running on the lower settings.

-Goatee

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend you buy the Dorcy 123 Super 1 watt for $20 at Target. And send the remaining $100 to me.

Or buy a Fenix L2T for $45 and get in on the 123 body pre-buy for $20. Perhaps if you want more levels you could buy the two speed tail switch for $20. And send the remaining $40 to me.

I recommend option 1 over option 2.

Ken

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
i would've suggested the Surefire A2, but it cannot run on li-ions and its definitely greater than $120...nor does it have a glass lens [I really don't know what pyrex lens is]

for everything else it seems to satisfy IMO ;)
Pyrex is a type of glass.
I think an HDS would work well for U.:)

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been eyeing that HDS for a while and it sure looks good! What would be the best bang for the buck? U-60 XR or U-42 XR, how easy is it to swap the luxeon for a premium low Vf bin?

Thanks!

AlexGT

iamerror

Enlightened
I think it would be hard to find an Ultimate 42, that has been discontinued for a while now. The Basic 42 was discontinued recently, though. The Basics can be programmed like the Ultimates with a lot of clicks. I think it would be worth it to get the Ultimate 60, its discontinued price was about $30 more than the Basic 42s price. Either way would be great.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Jet I,3 levels HaIII,AA,NIMH,li on 14500.They are comeing out with a AAA any day. AA is $68.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I second the Pierce M10. This is a great light that you can run the rechargeables and get 2 hours on the low setting. They run specials for CPF members and you cannot beat the price for the light. I like the light light so much I have to order another one when I figure out how to hide it from the wife.
I cannot recommend this light enough.