Surefire 9P: Rechargeable cells?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if any rechargeable cells can be used with a 9P? How about a charger?
Will the BOG led drop in work? Thanks guys!:)

highorder

Enlightened
a search would help you, but I run two of AW's 17500's with a G&P G90 and the DSD charger.

great output and runtime.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
a search would help you, but I run two of AW's 17500's with a G&P G90 and the DSD charger.

Where do I get a G&P G90?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using two protected 17500's in my 9P with a DSD charger. Got them from AW's sales thread. You could also use two Pila 300s with the Pila charger.
It works well with the P90, G&P G90, Digilight 9v HP, and the 3W BOG.

As mentioned, you could get everything you need from one place, Lighthound.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
2x17500 as mentioned is the proper rechargable solution... if you add a 1 cell extender, you can use a pair of 17670s, this allows the use of a P91 with reasonable runtime and no danger of running the cells too hard.

If you could get the 9P bored out to fit 18500 cells, that would be even better, longer runtime, same compact size, and you could run the P91 pretty well if you wanted.

(I don't recomend running the P91 on 17500s, too small, the P91 is my favorite LA, huge output, well worth devising a rechargable solution for)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold the phone, I was just thinking about how to run my Z3 with a P91. Thus far, it's been P90 and primaries.

So for a P90, two 17500's, which are protected against over/under discharge, and the DSD charger, are a good way go, eh?
Gotta get me some of that.

The P91 would be sweet. What's wrong with the 17500's for a P91? Not enough juice? Have to double-tap the switch?

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to double tap the switch and the drain on the smaller 17500 batteries is really hard. But it works. Using two 17670's solves the problem.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
B'hamFAL said:
What is the runtime?
Expect about an hour.
I got 54 minutes to shutdown with Wolf-Eyes 9V D26 pulling 1.32A at the start, and 64 minutes with my Streamlight TL3 pulling 1.2A. Haven't done a runtime with my Digilight LAs, but believe they're basically the same as the G90. My Digilight, WE D26, SF P90 LAs, and the TL3 all pull within .2A(1.1-1.3A) of each other, so there shouldn't be much difference in runtime.

B'hamFAL

Newly Enlightened
my protected 17500's showed up today - from e-lectronics(dot)net $6.00 apiece and delivered in just a few days. We'll see how they hold up but so far so good. Every 9P should have a set of these instead of 123's!

g36pilot

Enlightened
highorder said:

Ditto with the exception that my 9P is actually a 6P + A19? (one cell extender). It works well!

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I am planning to make my new Surefire D3 rechargeable and would like to know what would be the difference in running unprotected versus protected batteries? What are the positives and negatives of protected v. unprotected?

SunStar

Enlightened
The P90 is simply awesome on (2) protected 17500's and close to an hour runtime is maintained.

In my experience the P91 runs fine on protected 17670's for the first few minutes, then the multi-tap game begins. For me personally, I feel better running the P91 on the 18 mm cells.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, unprotected cells function just like primaries, but they are rechargeable and cheaper. The problem is that if you let the voltage get too low before recharging them, you can kill them. Also, if you overcharge them, you can kill them. I believe they require special chargers that work with unprotected cells and monitor them while charging since there is no circuitry in the cells to monitor/protect them. The protected cells are foolproof, IMHO. They protect themselves and are more reliable overall. The problem with them is that they cost more and they usually go into over-discharge protection when they get too low, which means they shut themselves off and you are left in the dark, literally. Also, if you try to draw too much current from them at any time, they won't come on for you. If you double-tap the light's switch, you can bypass the protection circuit with many of them and you will have light, as long as the current draw is a little over it's protection limit(this will tend to shorten the life of the cell and potentially cause you problems if done often). If the current draw is a lot over, the cell won't come on no matter how much you tap the switch. I personally only use protected cells. I just keep an eye on the light to see if it starts to dim a bit, in which case it is near shutdown(not always a guarantee), and keep in mind that it could shut down, especially if I have used it a lot since last recharging the cells.

I am planning to make my new Surefire D3 rechargeable and would like to know what would be the difference in running unprotected versus protected batteries? What are the positives and negatives of protected v. unprotected?

Spence

Enlightened
Here's a combo to think about. I got the DX SKU 6090, LED drop-in module, 6-18 volts, $10. From Battery Junction-rechargeable, RCR123A's, 3.0 volt, 900mAh and their required Smart Charger, $12.95. The LED drop-in w/ reflector is very bright, has decent throw and is a bargain for two 5-spots. I really like the 9P and because the 6090 has such an insanely broad voltage range, it can be used in a number of lights. I think it performs better than the P91 bulb and many other LED's I've tried...IMHO.
Good luck.

:poke: :twothumbs