Flowers at the American Embassy, London, UK

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
[It's taken me some time to write this.]

On the 18th Sept. in the late afternoon, one week after the 11th September Violences, I went with friends to place some flowers in Grosvenor Square, London, W1, which is in front of the American Embassy. Those in other countries who have seen British news photos may have seen pictures of the bouquets left there, it's the "Official" UK place of remembrance.

On the message attached to the flowers, I wrote –

"Placed on behalf of all Members of CandlePower Forums and the SureFire Discussion Board, particularly those members from the UK.
In Memory of and in Tribute to, all the Innocents who died, and in Sympathy with those hurt in any way by the Savage acts of the 11th September.

Respectfully,
Jahn, lightlover"

Ophelia wrote -

"God Bless America, by Ophelia"

I worded it as well as I could, to be comprehensive and inclusive of all. I guess a lot of people are too far away from the locations to be able to formally pay their respects. The flowers were a small mixed selection of varieties, colours and types, somewhat like us.

It was a grey, rather showery day, the weather probably much as many people imagine London to be all the time. We waited for 10 minutes in a queue to enter the Square. Security was very strict – requests for pockets to be emptied, then through metal detectors, and closer searches if they were triggered. I was asked to take the batteries out of my E2.

Grosvenor Square is a no-parking zone now, and the "British Bobbies" on guard were wearing body armour and carrying Glock's and H&K's. (The armed Policeman is now more common, but still a notable sight in London.) Inside the Embassy itself, I could see some US Marines observing the area.

There were many bunches of flowers, in many layers and banks, all set neatly out, and many memorial candles. All was well kept, and tended by mostly American volunteers. A friend who was with me found the atmosphere quiet and calm, the scene tranquil. My 10-year-old niece, Ophelia, enjoyed the flowers, and was very busy re-lighting all the candles that had blown out. Apparently, in her school nearby, the kids all quote "God Bless America" ! (She added her contribution to the note without any prompting - she understood the whole scene perfectly.)

Myself, I found it rather benumbing, and could only think "Thank God, there are 'only' 5,000 dead – it could have been so many more".

My local Fire Station, in Soho, central London, acted as the "hotel" for a New York Fireman who was stranded, he couldn't get his flight back to the States for a while. They have taken a collection for the victims of the tragedies, which one Fireman proudly told me had reached thousands of pounds.

The small enamel crossed UK/USA flag badge I am wearing has sold out in all the shops.
I'm wearing it together with an old Peace symbol badge, which last saw service in the 1980's.

This selection of badges is in regard to all the people affected by these terrible events, and also, the people yet to be hurt too. Sadly, some ignorant *characters* in the UK have attacked innocent Afghani's and Muslims. Serious injuries and deaths have resulted, and I also mourn those victims, while despising the perpetrators of these hate crimes.

Lightlover
Member #260 CandlePower Forums
Member #343 SureFire Discussion Board

Technical details – a very few Policemen are issued with SF 6P's and the H&K's have SF weaponlights for night duty. The un-illuminated Glock handguns are worn in high holsters, with coiled tethers clipped to a hole in the bottom rear of the grip. The H&K's are fitted with one magazine only.

Posted on both SF and CPF.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As some of you might know, a quilt type display is being made to be part of the 9-11 memorial to go in New York City on the former site of the twin towers of the World Trade Center.

My mom in Alaska does some beadwork, and she used one of my memorial banners for a panel to go in that quilt.

http://insulatorz.home.att.net/wtcmom.jpg

While I might not have been able to donate money or contribute any physical labor to the recovery, a part of me will still end up in New York as part of that permanent memorial. And a part of mom too, since she actually did the beading.

She made two of these: one to go to New York, and the other was presented to me as a Christmas gift.

http://insulatorz.home.att.net/quilt1.jpg
This is the one that is going to be installed in New York.

No "emoticon" exists which is appropriate to use now, so this is where I'll end.

Latest posts