Flashlights with rheostats?

Meeshi_ma

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if there's a flashlight made with a rheostat in the head? I've seen a lot of "turn the head for low, farther for high", and "turn it 3x really fast" for different modes, but what I really want is something with the different light levels accessable in a sequence as I turn the head. So, just a simple dimmer switch for a flashlight. It doesn't sound too hard, but I know very little about the mystical inner workings of flashlights so what do I know?

Anyone?

-Brian

Meeshi_ma

Newly Enlightened
That looks to have the functionality of what I'm looking for, why is variable brightness such a rare thing? I mean, almost every lightswitch installed in the 70's had that dimming knob, what's the big deal?

From reading all of the gatlight's promo stuff, it looks to have something to do with temperature regulation, but I'm not sure why that's such a stopping point. I guess what I really want is a variable brightness McLux... (too much to ask? ;))

Thanks for the link.

-Brian

Loomy

Enlightened
It is just hard to build a lot of stuff into a compact flashlight. If you have an idea for how to build a rheostat into the threaded head of a flashlight, it could be very popular! :)

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because a rheostat would simply dump the "excess" current as heat. That's how the old dimmer switches worked and why they were so wasteful; the newer ones use a TRIAC but that requires AC power.

Meeshi_ma

Newly Enlightened
bfg9000 said:
Because a rheostat would simply dump the "excess" current as heat. That's how the old dimmer switches worked and why they were so wasteful; the newer ones use a TRIAC but that requires AC power.

So no variable McLux, huh? Bummer. Thanks for the answer, I knew that if it was possible it would be out there.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The Rigel Skylight uses a rheostat to adjust brightness, but isn't nearly as bright as the luxeon lights you mention. It only lights either 2 red or 2 white leds at any given time. It is great for astronomy where you want to preserve night vision while still needing enough light to see what you are doing.

bpond

Newly Enlightened
I think I have what you are looking for. Check out these pictures.
http://bpond.smugmug.com/gallery/2024704/1/103777449
The feature you are most interested in is the knurled collar at the base of the light head. This is a rotational feature that will provide a truly variable light output. The photos are computer generated as the pre-production parts are being made as we speak. We should be ready to release this in the next couple of weeks with full production scheduled for hopefully the next 30 days, certainly before the end of the year. I have already promised on another post that we would offer a group buy when ready. I cannot speak to any pricing yet as we are still dialing all the component and labor costs. I will say, however, that this will be a Made in USA item and I expect it to be priced in line with other products of it's capability and quality.

This light uses the same head as our CentraL.E.D. work light, which utilizes a Lamina Ceramics BL2000 42 die array. For anyone who has not seen the light pattern that this optic provides then click here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/centraled_100led.htm and scroll down. There will also be an optional Blue/Near UV (465nm) light head available. The light has a twisty tail cap switch. It will be available as either standard clear anodize or flat black Type III HA. Power source is 2xCr123A.

I have seen some replies to this post that discussed the technical hurdles to creating this dimming feature. All I can say is that we have a superb engineering department, both electrical and mechanical and they overcame these problems. I will let Steve (Soffiler) address any technical questions you have.

Anyone attending SHOT Show will be able to see it along with our planned launch of a headlamp with the same light head.

Bob

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
hmmm this sounds interesting
bpond said:
I think I have what you are looking for. Check out these pictures.
http://bpond.smugmug.com/gallery/2024704/1/103777449
The feature you are most interested in is the knurled collar at the base of the light head. This is a rotational feature that will provide a truly variable light output. The photos are computer generated as the pre-production parts are being made as we speak. We should be ready to release this in the next couple of weeks with full production scheduled for hopefully the next 30 days, certainly before the end of the year. I have already promised on another post that we would offer a group buy when ready. I cannot speak to any pricing yet as we are still dialing all the component and labor costs. I will say, however, that this will be a Made in USA item and I expect it to be priced in line with other products of it's capability and quality.

This light uses the same head as our CentraL.E.D. work light, which utilizes a Lamina Ceramics BL2000 42 die array. For anyone who has not seen the light pattern that this optic provides then click here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/centraled_100led.htm and scroll down. There will also be an optional Blue/Near UV (465nm) light head available. The light has a twisty tail cap switch. It will be available as either standard clear anodize or flat black Type III HA. Power source is 2xCr123A.

I have seen some replies to this post that discussed the technical hurdles to creating this dimming feature. All I can say is that we have a superb engineering department, both electrical and mechanical and they overcame these problems. I will let Steve (Soffiler) address any technical questions you have.

Anyone attending SHOT Show will be able to see it along with our planned launch of a headlamp with the same light head.

Bob

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bob,
This is what I've been waiting for! Your CentraLED Worklight is my favorite all around use light. I've told Steve in private messages that a carry light utilizing your Worklight head would be a winner! Now with your announcement, it's becoming a reality and I'm really stoked.

For some of you that may not know, CentraLED is one great, customer orientated company! Their service and products are second to none. The beam with the Lamina Ceramics BL2000 42 die head, produces a WONDERFUL, bright beam with tons of sidespill. Also, if you like round beams, (like me), you'll love this and especially with infinite brightness adjustment!

Thanks for the update Bob and can't wait to check out the finished product!

bpond

Newly Enlightened
Meeshi_ma said:
Hey, that is cool! Any idea of when such a release would take place? Or if some of the parts would be available seperately from the body?

Meeshi_ma,

We will be in full production before year's end. We will do a group buy as soon as it is ready. We will be showing the pre-production samples the first week of November at the large automotive repair industry show in Las Vegas (AAPEX/SEMA)

As far as parts go I think there are some technical issues that will prevent them from being useable on other products. At least I think that is what you were asking.

Bob

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meeshi_ma said:
Does anyone know if there's a flashlight made with a rheostat in the head? I've seen a lot of "turn the head for low, farther for high", and "turn it 3x really fast" for different modes, but what I really want is something with the different light levels accessable in a sequence as I turn the head. So, just a simple dimmer switch for a flashlight. It doesn't sound too hard, but I know very little about the mystical inner workings of flashlights so what do I know?

Anyone?

-Brian
I think a potentiometer might be what you want. You can get one here, but you will have to put it in yourself. http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Flashlight+Hobbyist+Parts&cart_id=4872738.38173&user-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
How about Surefire's U2. It has a ring around the light that you twist to change between several levels of output?

Or if you do a Luxeon in a Maglite, you could get that 5W potentiometer from Elektrolumens in Art Vandelay's post. That would be cheap and as easy as a drilled hole and a few solder points.

If you use a Fatman driver in a light, you can add a potentiometer and have adjustable regulated output. I'm with you though that it'd be nice to see on more lights.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meeshi_ma said:
That looks to have the functionality of what I'm looking for, why is variable brightness such a rare thing? I mean, almost every lightswitch installed in the 70's had that dimming knob, what's the big deal?
Part of it is that just a rheostat won't give the kind of results that many want.

Many who like 'white' LED lights are very 'tint sensitive' and just dropping the voltage on a white LED will also cause it to completely change it's tint. I'm into CYAN LEDs and whenever you drop the voltage to dim them they just go green -- and if what I need is DIM CYAN, dim green is unacceptable.

A much better (read more expensive and more complex) approach for both white and some colored variable output lights would be to control them with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), which some higher end lights use.

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes its called the "BAM!" turn the head for three light levels. LDO regulator, not a primative "Rheostat" ;:naughty:

BUBEY-DSCN3979.JPG

DSCN3763.JPG

Comes in different flavors too. All Li-Ion powered. The 4 beam 480 lumens, 3 beam 360 lumens. The neat trick is in the turn head :D dimmer control!:grin2:

:huh: