IE 7 Released

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until MS can prove that their release version has eliminated the bugs in the beta, I'm not going to bite a second time.

My thoughts on the IE7 beta are in this thread.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Nice, it works very well so far. It seems faster than the IE6 for some reason. Does anyone know any good plugin to selectively stop picture/ads from displaying?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm back using Firefox. It feels like comfortable old slippers. Easy to use and *very* configurable. I like all the extensions that allow you in essence to design your own browser.

Does anyone know how to force IE 7 to open a page automatically when you open a new tab for it? It's a pain to open a tab and then click on it to view it.

I'm going to wait for a few weeks until I decide if it's worthwhile to go back to IE. Firefox is great.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Well, your answer is to use both. Certain website especially Microsoft update required Iexplorer and firefox won't work. I use firefox often because of the same reason that it is highly configurable.

freeze12

Enlightened
More Microsoft bloatware. It is not customizable enough as a lot of features are unnecessary & are not removeable as I like a smaller sleeker toolbar & it seems that more & more of Microsofts products are being designed that way. :xyxgun: No way to disable the security feature.tabbed browsing etc.....Just My opinion

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
youtube does not work on my ie7. I have flash and java installed, cookies enabled, and the videos work when linked on another page, but not on youtube.com. any ideas?

works fine with firefox.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
I only use IE for Windows/Office update. IE has been a malware magnet for a VERY long time, and I have my doubts that - given the way MS has tied IE into Windows - that it's even possible to make it secure. And then there's the fact that even with IE 7 - while it's better than IE 6 - it's STILL not web standards compliant the way Firefox and Opera are, which means that people have to design around the weirdnesses and bugs in IE. I would love to see some major website state this clearly and say "If you want to see this website correctly, use a browser that has respect for web standards - and that's not going to be IE" and then design the site strictly to the standards.

I'll stick with Opera as my daily browser. (I find it amusing that a number of items on the list of new features for FireFox 2.0 are things Opera has had for some time now - like re-arrangeable tabs, and a close button on each tab, etc.)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonBoy said:
Does anyone know how to force IE 7 to open a page automatically when you open a new tab for it? It's a pain to open a tab and then click on it to view it.
Wheel-click (middle button) the link.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
TigerhawkT3 said:
Wheel-click (middle button) the link.
Thanks for the feedback!!

I've tested this now in both IE7 and Firefox: a wheel-click in IE 7 on a link just opens a new page in a new tab but leaves you flat in the existing page.

OTOH, a wheel-click in Firefox on a link opens a new tab AND switches me immediately to the new page, which is the desired behavior. It's been a while since I downloaded and configured Firefox, so I'm unsure if that's its default behavior.

In any case, I'm unsure if I want to make the switch back to IE, especially since there's a new version of Firefox pending.

I'm going to wait about a month or so until the verdict is in before considering a permanent switch.

One feature that I DO like is the smaller menu area at the top of the screen giving more coverage for the page of interest.

To be honest, I'm really leery of the future of Microsoft with the departure of Bill Gates and transfer of control to Steve Ballmer. Steve is not in my book of heroes. Also, I'm not lining up to purchase the new Vista; I'll wait until Vista Service Pack 2 before deciding to buy. Microsoft has some future challenges. JMHO.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do an "F11" view full screen in Fire Fox to get minimum menus (top and bottom).

-Bill

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
I always had trouble with IE 7 since the Betas and whatnot. It is part of the new Vista theme and its a bit too GUI-ie for me.

I love Firefox and 2.0 RC3 although I haven't tired Opera since 2001. I should give it a shot since it will come out on Nintendo DS sometime in the futre.

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear it's going to be distributed in the Windows Updates soon. I'll install it on one of my "throwaway" XP installations and see what happens.

drizzle

Enlightened
I hope the timing of the release of Firefox 2.0 right on the heels of IE7 is just a coincidence. I would hate to think that Firefox 2.0 was rushed to coincide with IE7. I'm a Firefox user and will upgrade to 2.0 but maybe not right away. I might wait for the first bug fix.

I still occasionally use IE for those pages that don't work on Firefox. One of the most useful plug-ins I have for Firefox is to open the same page in IE.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
People still use IE?

Firefox is the only browser i use. Even if a webpage wont work because its not IE, Then I press the magic little X and return to CPF.

When i am forced to use IE (usually to download FF on someones machine) I just cant believe how slow and sludgy it feels...

And that fox is much cuter then a silly "E"

-bobby

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
drizzle, I think you should try out Firefox 2.0 RC3 right now. I've been using the Firefox 2.0 since the betas and its really good. Auto spell check, session restore, and other things are quite useful. Its up to you of course.