N90 Problem in Surefire 9N

Status
Not open for further replies.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys so I finally got around to picking up a N90 bulb and put it in my newly acquired 9N. I fired it up and I think I got a dud bulb because it just wasn't very bright. It had a very yellow orange tint. After it ran for a few minutes on high, I took out the LA to check it out. I noticed that the glass was beginning to turn milky white with some brownish stains. Another thing I noticed is that I knew my N90 was going to come in today so I made sure to have a fresh charge. After just a couple of minutes the battery was at about 3.8V. I'm not sure what the heck is going on. I've seen yellowish and orange beams but this yellow was a weird tint that I've never seen on an incand. lamp before. Its almost as if their was a chemical reaction or something.

I called Surefire and they said that are sending me a replacement battery as well as lamp assembly. That is awfully nice of them. They said I should see it by the end of next week. Anybody have any ideas what might be going on? I did a ceiling bounce test in a dark bathroom and the high power lamp on the 9N is either just as bright as my 2D Maglite with stock bulb or possibly marginally brighter. Since its supposed to be 10x as bright I would think the difference would have been much more drastic. I'll see if Surefire's replacements fix the problem I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Is it kinda like this... http://vacuum3d.dyndns.org/flashlights/pix_misc/burnt_1185s.JPG
That was caused by battery voltage being higher than the bulb can handle. The weird thing is I only had one batch of bulbs that behaved like that. The other ones would many times simply burn out the filament or blow up.

I, too, am very umimpressed with the 9N. I built a battery stick with 4x 2/3 SC and made the light output more impressive, but the lamp only lasted 2 minutes ;(

ernest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts