Thoughts about the wiseLED tactical

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
Went for a 1.5 hour walk with my wiseled tactical last night. Even got 1 compliment from a passer-by. we all know the PROs already - *bright*, waterproof, long runtime... so i'm going to add some annoyances

1) The descriptions for this light so far have said that it "throttles down" brightness to respect temperature. My experience is like this:
- start in boost mode
- about 6 minutes later you can see it go down 1 level
- then, about once a minute it continues to go down in brightness. the bezel does not feel that hot either. It does this all the way down to the lowest setting.
This is probably the most annoying thing about this light. If i want to return back to full brightness, i must turn the unit off, on, then hit the B button.
I am curious to see anyone perform runtime charts on this, because there's no way to keep it on 1 brightness level without it dimming itself soon after.

Some would argue that it's required to save temperature, but on the lowest few levels the bezel is barely warm at all - yet it continues to dim.

2) the method of selecting brightness is, as others have said, just about worthless. impossible to lock in a specific brightness. I really wish it had something like my U2's brightness ring.

3) again, to repeat what others have said, once you go back to "boost" mode, there's no way to go back to the previous brightness you were at without taking time to try and find it again with the dimmer thingy.

4) there is no way to start the light at a different brightness as you turned it off with. i love my U2 for being able to do this. i imagine in some hypothetical tactical environment you would want to be able to instantly turn the light on to the dim level or bright level spontaneously.

5) it's too pretty. the thing is so good looking (and expensive) that i'm afraid to scratch it. my surefire looks like it needs a good knocking around.

All in all i'm crazy about this light. I will be using it in boost mode most of the time anyway, because if i wanted a dimmer light, i'd use my U2 or something else. I bought this light for its strength - brightness. It's great fun to use.

I'm interested to see what the flashlightreviews.com review shows about runtime.