You might be an engineer if ...

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
I noticed a few engineer-types out there, so I was wondering how many unofficial ones are on the forum. Here's a little quiz (thanks to Fred Langa's web site). I just counted and I got at least 12...
shocked.gif

...choosing to buy flowers for your girlfriend or upgrading your RAM is a moral dilemma.
...you take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room.
...in college you thought Spring Break was metal fatigue failure.
...the sales people at the local computer store can't answer any of your questions
...at an air show you know how fast the skydivers are falling
...you bought your wife a new CD-ROM drive for her birthday.
...you can quote scenes from any Monty Python movie.
...you can type 70 words per minute but can't read your own handwriting.
...you comment to your wife/husband that their straight hair is nice and parallel.
...you sit backwards on the Disneyland rides to see how they do the special effects.
...you have saved every power cord from all your broken appliances.
...you have more friends on the Internet than in real life.
...you know what "http" stands for.
...you look forward to Christmas so you can put the kids' toys together.
...you see a good design and still have to change it.
...you spent more on your calculator than you did on your wedding ring.
...you still own a slide rule and know how to use it.
...you think that people yawning around you are sleep deprived.
...you window shop at Radio Shack
...your laptop computer costs more than your car.
...your wife/husband hasn't the foggiest idea of what you do at work.
...you've already calculated how much you make per second.
...you've tried to repair a $5 radio.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Artie Choke:
I noticed a few engineer-types out there, so I was wondering how many unofficial ones are on the forum. Here's a little quiz (thanks to Fred Langa's web site). I just counted and I got at least 12...
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny....
smile.gif

Let's see how I do:

N/A...choosing to buy flowers for your girlfriend or upgrading your RAM is a moral dilemma.
YES...you take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room.
YES...in college you thought Spring Break was metal fatigue failure.
YES...the sales people at the local computer store can't answer any of your questions
YES...at an air show you know how fast the skydivers are falling
N/A...you bought your wife a new CD-ROM drive for her birthday.
NO...you can quote scenes from any Monty Python movie.
YES...you can type 70 words per minute but can't read your own handwriting.
NO...you comment to your wife/husband that their straight hair is nice and parallel. (but I do ***** about the off-center decorations at mom's house)
smile.gif

NO...you sit backwards on the Disneyland rides to see how they do the special effects.
YES...you have saved every power cord from all your broken appliances.
YES...you have more friends on the Internet than in real life.
YES...you know what "http" stands for.
SOMETIMES...You look forward to Christmas so you can put the kids' toys together.
YES...you see a good design and still have to change it.
N/A...you spent more on your calculator than you did on your wedding ring.
NO...you still own a slide rule and know how to use it.
YES...you think that people yawning around you are sleep deprived.
YES...you window shop at Radio Shack
N/A...your laptop computer costs more than your car.
YES...your wife/husband hasn't the foggiest idea of what you do at work. (Well, my stepmom has no idea what an LED is or why I'm running that "stupid web site")
wink.gif

YES...you've already calculated how much you make per second.
YES...you've tried to repair a $5 radio.

Eeewwww... I got 14 yes answers.
x.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
(Well, my stepmom has no idea what an LED is or why I'm running that "stupid web site")<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, a real-life WICKED STEPMOTHER - just like in good fairy stories
wink.gif

Well, I scored 14.75, after scientifically socio-weighting my answers, so that's
67.0454545454545454545454545454545%

There is a proud British tradition of *Bodging*.
Long ago, Bodgers were highly skilled itinerant wood-turners. (A pointed thingy for gardening purposes was/is also called a bodger.)
Nowadays, it's used in the UK to refer to a nincompetent mender of things: Americans prefer "botcher" perhaps.

you know you're a Bodger when:
(some of these points are ahem, true ... )

- your friends won't tell you when they're thinking about doing a home improvement scheme
- you can disassemble machines, but have no idea how to put them back together
- you're wealthy in *bits* that "might be useful someday"
- and the *bits* add up to over ten assorted containers: each one full
- you sometimes inventory the saved bits'n'pieces - and decide which ones are your special favourites ......
- you backtrack when you see a discarded, obviously broken machine, and ask for permission to take it away "for research purposes"
- you skim through a manual, and Go For It, not noticing the section that says "before undertaking step 10.2 iv(a), FIRST ENSURE that the x/666 is in the OFF position, as detailed in steps 8.2.6 --> 8.2.9, otherwise ......
- you add up the cost of fixing something, and notice that it would have been a major saving if you'd just bought 3 new ones
- you lie awake at night worrying about the safety of some work you've done
- glue seems to be a major feature of the finish of all your projects
- you're convinced that you've discovered a world first in repair techniques (simply because no-one else would do it that way) [the fools!]
- part completed dusty *prototypes* haunt your kitchen as well as your working/living space
- you rotate your visits to local hardware stores (because in all 10, they sigh as you enter the place)
- your knowledgeable friends tell you that the NEW! discovery just announced in the popular press was denounced as nonsense in *Scientific American* two years ago ......
- you can no longer ...

"My name is lightlover, and I am a Very Junior Engineer ...... "

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think I have similar traits...
grin.gif

Bodging in Dubai -

In Dubai, I bodged £900 [roughly, each] Genelec 1031A Monitor Speakers into stands specifically for the 1032A. I Drilled eight holes into each, often whilst hungover, in a room with no aircon, lighting or power...
I think they turned out pretty good. None have collapsed.

The 1032A are very impressive, but at £1200 each, I can't afford them just yet. Also, seven of them, plus a pair of subs would require a bit more space then I have available!

Size15's

Flashaholic
It was
frown.gif
...choosing to buy flowers for your girlfriend or upgrading your RAM is a moral dilemma.
Yes...you take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room.
n/a...in college you thought Spring Break was metal fatigue failure.
Yes...the sales people at the local computer store can't answer any of your questions
Yes...at an air show you know how fast the skydivers are falling
I bought my ex a torch...you bought your wife a new CD-ROM drive for her birthday.
No...you can quote scenes from any Monty Python movie.
Yes...you can type 70 words per minute but can't read your own handwriting.
I used to iron hers......you comment to your wife/husband that their straight hair is nice and parallel.
Yes...you sit backwards on the Disneyland rides to see how they do the special effects.
Yes, but not after Dubai - too many useless powercords!...you have saved every power cord from all your broken appliances.
counts on fingers [of one hand]... erm......you have more friends on the Internet than in real life.
Yes...you know what "http" stands for.
Yes, & I liked the box more than what was in it, usually...you look forward to Christmas so you can put the kids' toys together.
Yes...you see a good design and still have to change it.
Yes, something like that...you spent more on your calculator than you did on your wedding ring.
No, & no....you still own a slide rule and know how to use it.
I'm too busy talking to take notice...you think that people yawning around you are sleep deprived.
Yes...you window shop at Radio Shack
Yes. it would if I had a laptop, or a car for that matter...your laptop computer costs more than your car.
Yes. No-one has the foggiest idea what I do!...your wife/husband hasn't the foggiest idea of what you do at work.
Yes...you've already calculated how much you make per second.
Yes...you've tried to repair a $5 radio.

Yes- your friends won't tell you when they're thinking about doing a home improvement scheme
No. Keep all parts, use all parts when re-assembling- you can disassemble machines, but have no idea how to put them back together
Yes, but not as much as my Dad- you're wealthy in *bits* that "might be useful someday"
Yes, [see previous]- and the *bits* add up to over ten assorted containers: each one full
Yes- you sometimes inventory the saved bits'n'pieces - and decide which ones are your special favourites ......
Yes- you backtrack when you see a discarded, obviously broken machine, and ask for permission to take it away "for research purposes"
Yes. What manual?- you skim through a manual, and Go For It, not noticing the section that says "before undertaking step 10.2 iv(a), FIRST ENSURE that the x/666 is in the OFF position, as detailed in steps 8.2.6 --> 8.2.9, otherwise ......
Yes- you add up the cost of fixing something, and notice that it would have been a major saving if you'd just bought 3 new ones
No- you lie awake at night worrying about the safety of some work you've done
No- glue seems to be a major feature of the finish of all your projects
Yes- you're convinced that you've discovered a world first in repair techniques (simply because no-one else would do it that way) [the fools!]
Yes, they would- part completed dusty *prototypes* haunt your kitchen as well as your working/living space
Yes, they do- you rotate your visits to local hardware stores (because in all 10, they sigh as you enter the place)
No. But I'd hardly call ScAm a real source for hard science- your knowledgeable friends tell you that the NEW! discovery just announced in the popular press was denounced as nonsense in *Scientific American* two years ago ......
- you can no longer ... see your toes?!

rolleyes.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
...............No. But I'd hardly call ScAm a real source for hard science
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Mr A. Windler BSc., it's tough enough for Moi to read !

Jahn
mad.gif
blush.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
LOL I was just at Disney world (last week), well Epcot and MGM and I was looking back at the rides to see how stuff was set up, that is way to funny.