Guy Fawkes Day

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, remember, the fifth of November.

To all of our British friends, Give a penny to Guy for me.
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks Phred, nice to see a great Britisn tradition didn`t go unnoticed, even on this US-based board.

I`ve been sat in the front bedroom window all night watching the fireworks- looked like we were the only ones not to have our own home display
grin.gif
(cos in Britain, everyone over 16 is free to buy fireworks and let them off in their own gardens- though it has been many years since we last did that here
frown.gif
it`s a bit like Halloween- loses its appeal the older you get, except in my case
smile.gif
).
Great fun, as good as it`s ever been, even despite the fact that it`s a Monday night. One of my most favourite nights of the whole year is Bonfire Night, a close second only to my Christmas Lights Switch-on night (December 13th).

grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, phred:

That old saying in full - "Remember, remember, the 5th of November, Gunpowder, Treason and Plot".

As kids, (1960's) Plot was also a kind of traditional home-made toffee, "our mums" used to give us.
(It usually tasted - kind of - burnt ...... )

I missed a lot of the fun this year, 'cos my friends dawg was so freaked out by all the noise. But there are some wonderful fireworks I've seen:
- Four feet across "Chinese lanterns" which float away, while glowing from within.
- what I call a "string of pearls", a shallow arc of many light points hanging in space.
They must use parachutes or the like.
Firework colours are absolutely beautiful, short-lived shades you'll never see in Nature.

In the UK nowadays, we Brits have introduced some USA traditions. Halloween was not something widely celebrated until recently. As a child "Trick or treat" was something I only read about in comics.
And "Prom nights" are popular now.
(Hey, maybe we'll re-introduce Imperial measurements ! Does the exchange of ideas go the other way, probably not.)

Cautionary notes - 5th November always involves a lot of kids being burnt or otherwise injured, domestic roof fires, etc.
A few years ago, there was a scandal about fireworks imported from China, which did not meet safety regulations. An unfortunate headteacher literally had his head blown off - at a school display !
shocked.gif

He leaned over a launch tube to investigate an apparent *dud*.
Another firework was so dangerous it made the National TV news. If you had one, as shown in the picture, the precautionary measures were: "Immediately place in a bucket of water, and take outside, away from houses or people. Then call the Fire Brigade". Apparently it could spontaneously combust/explode.

lightlover
shocked.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
(cos in Britain, everyone over 16 is free to buy fireworks and let them off in their own gardens<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't allow any type of fireworks here, not even sparklers or those plastic champagne popper thingies.
But you can still buy "Snap -N- Pops", little paper clot things with a small amount of sand and silver nitrate; they make a pitiful pop sound when you throw, squeeze, or step on them. And I think you can still buy paper caps for children's cap guns, but I'm not sure on that, as I haven't seen them in the stores for quite a few years now.
frown.gif

A hammer and a whole roll of caps can make a pretty loud bang, equivalent to a ladyfinger or a weaker than average black cat.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
a close second only to my Christmas Lights Switch-on night (December 13th).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My traditional first firing up of the Christmas lights occurs the day after Thanksgiving. For one, I live in the retail core of a large city, so I have to compete with the neighbor's displays (storefronts and other retail); and for two, I've always started around that time.
smile.gif

That doesn't count the several strings I have burning year-round, and those under testing, such as the blue and multicolor LED strings I got last summer.
grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all. The whole of the poem is:

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder treason and plot.
We see no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
I was first introduced to Guy Fawkes Day many years ago when I was invited to a celebration hosted by some university professors. They had the feasting and drinking and of course the bonfire with the effigy. No fireworks as they are illegal in South Carolina where this took place. I now live in Alabama, where most fireworks are legal and have kept the Guy Fawkes Day celebration going to this day. Of course my VERY rural neighbours shake their heads in puzzlement at my antics but that goes hand in hand with the strange lights and sounds(YEAH, look at that beam) that emanate from my residence at odd hours in the night.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy day.
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sadly
frown.gif
, the "Master Blaster Paster" hasn't performed at the local lakes for a few years now. (The Council say it got too popular and what with a funfair, the crowd safety could not be maintained.

Of course it had nothing to do with the council having lost a £40million [unrelated] lawsuit a while back...

It used to be the best display for miles around
frown.gif

One of the local schools puts on a superb display though.

Fireworks are Magic. Verily, they be.

Al
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
A hammer and a whole roll of caps can make a pretty loud bang ......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, as a kid, I used to do that ! Got 2 rolls of caps, rolled them up together tightly in a single layer, taped them between two coins. Then - hit 'em with a big hammer.
I used to do this in an abandoned garage, (my "experiments lab" ) with the door open. The blast made my ears ring, then still wobbling, I would hear the sharp crack of the echo from the hills a half-mile away. Sometimes I achieved multiple echoes as the hills a half-mile in the other direction reflected the noise back and forth.

Not something I'd do nowadays, for fear of hearing loss. (Sorry, what did you say ?? )

phred, I couldn't remember the full poem, thanks !

You have more guns than people in the USA, but you can't buy fireworks ??

My local hospital A+E news - "not many firework injuries", but plenty of "DFO's".
(Drunk, Fell Over.)

lightlover
smile.gif
wink.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightlover. That DFO cracked me up. On the subject of guns vs fireworks, I think the ban on fireworks is meant mostly for minors. AFAIK, one has to be at least 18 to purchase a long gun and 21 for a handgun. Also, AFAIK, there are four states where fireworks are legal. Alabama and Tennessee and I cannot remember the other two at this time. In Florida, fireworks can be bought at dingy little shops where you pay double the normal price and sign a disclaimer that you will take them out of the state(yeah, right)
wink.gif
. Bye, and watch out for falling drunks.
smile.gif