Lazy, Lazy, Lazy.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can imagine there are some spots that are tight enough that you wouldn't have a lot of room for your hand to tighten the wrench manually. Saves a little time, too.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
pffffffft, what, it doesnt actually turn the nut on and off also? :ironic:

~John

That's probably next! I think the wrench will probably have to be pneumatic, though, or at least be large enough for a motor and a lot of gears.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the new avatar Tinderbox...
naughty.gif

CFU

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
Well it makes sense if you use a wrench very frequently.

It does. I imagine people that do use these very frequently are at risk of developing certain problems associated with highly repetitive motions.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some automatic wrenches may be very fast and handy. When I worked in technical theatre years ago I was always looking for something to replace my Crescent Wrench as I have developed a deep hatred for that tool. In the early 90s I found the Solsons Wrench at Brookstone and I never looked back.

http://www.solsons.com/wrenchspanner.htm

They are spring loaded, fast and they grip tighter the harder you pull. They look like a gimmick but they really work as advertized.

I haven't owned a C Wrench for 15 years.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
Some automatic wrenches may be very fast and handy. When I worked in technical theatre years ago I was always looking for something to replace my Crescent Wrench as I have developed a deep hatred for that tool. In the early 90s I found the Solsons Wrench at Brookstone and I never looked back.

They are spring loaded, fast and they grip tighter the harder you pull. They look like a gimmick but they really work as advertized.

Wow! That's sweet! I want that, and I don't even have anything to tighten right now. I used to have a 'universal' wrench, but it wasn't reliable unless you had the 'right' nut. Maybe I'll get one for my dad, too.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't like to use adjustable wrenches since they (including the mentioned electric one) just don't clamp very securely.

OTOH, this one does. I really like it, and wish they made a right-angle Ford wrench version too.

Note that if space was so tight, you wouldn't be able to get a huge adjustable wrench in there anyway so would need the right-sized open-end wrench.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:

Dude, you shouldn't be allowed to post links to nifty tools like that!! Naw, just kidding. I've never seen those before, but they look like real winners. I just ordered the small one, plus a set of three SAE ratcheting wrenches. I have a feeling I'll be ending up having the rest of the tools on their site. They're all really clever and appear to be well made. I'll post back, when I receive them. (if I remember, that is...heh heh)

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
Usually when I need a vise grip, it does the trick without the crescent/adjustability.
Ah, but sometimes you want parallel jaws and a really tight fit to not mar the finish on something like a showerhead.

These cool compound geared high leverage plier-wrenches would also do the trick if locking is not necessary.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone uses a wrench a lot, they won't have a problem with adjustable wrenches in the first place. They'll use open-end or box-end types, or sockets. I almost never use an adjustable wrench any more. Real wrenches are much more secure, stronger, and take up less space when you use them. The adjustables only come out for weird-size nuts, or when I'm fussing with something unimportant with lots of different size bolts.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adjustable wrenches are great if your work is always taking you places where a whole toolbox full of wrench assortments is impractical or out and out impossible, like on tall ladders or working in a grid 70 feet above the floor. People who work in places like that all the time use wrenches frequently -- and never carry assortments aloft.

Apples and oranges.