Who in Hell is Up This Time of Night?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Playing with our flashlights at this time of night!
shocked.gif

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
I was out playing earlier tonite with my new E2 - still no LX yet - d'oh! but now it's almost time to turn out the lights and find my way to the bedroom with one of my led flashlights - maybe the turtlelight tonight...

oh yeah, for our overseas group, they're just getting up or already into their day right now!
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, about an hour ago I was running another LED through a beam profile analyzer.
This kind of work can only be done at night, because any amount of stray light will ***** the test results.
frown.gif

And I might run one more lamp of some kind through this machine before I call it a night. (Typically, I call it quits between 1:00am and 3:00am).

Newly Enlightened
O.K. how many out there will readily admit they've gone outside late at night to "test" their torch collection?

I admit it!

James
grin.gif
wink.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 007:
O.K. how many out there will readily admit they've gone outside late at night to "test" their torch collection?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As much as I'd love to, I can't because I'm in a high-crime district. At night, this becomes gang territory, and they prey on the elderly and those in wheelchairs most of all.

The only real chances I get are when I'm at a night baseball game, and have to drive the wheelchair home. That's how I field-tested the Trek 6000 and the Division 2 Responder; by using them to light my way home.
Being out after dark in this situation isn't as bad, because there is relative safety in numbers. I'll move with the biggest crowd I can find, and then make a run for it the last few blocks - usually that means putting the pedal to the metal, running red lights and everything until that front door snaps shut behind me.
smile.gif

My choices for night time testing are limited. There's a hotel about 50 feet away (across the street) and I'll light up their rooftop courtyard with whatever lights I'm testing until I start seeing the hotel's guests through the windows reaching for their phones.
x.gif

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 007:
O.K. how many out there will readily admit they've gone outside late at night to "test" their torch collection?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's not that late, but i was just getting the mail after dark and i took my UKE SL4 out to see how far it would light up the neighborhood - i could see the street sign at the end of the block reflecting the light - ~300 ft away - major cool!
cool.gif
grin.gif
- not to mention easily "spying" at the house 2 doors down!
wink.gif

Doug

Enlightened
Late? Define "late"? It's only 1:25am right now... I was up past 4am last night. I try to get to bed before the dreaded Sun pops up! That is a terrible thing, to be real tired, and see the Sun coming up
tongue.gif

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
My neighbours know about my nighttime illuminations. Hell, the little girl next door and her mum thought I was setting off fireworks when I was just throwing the M2 about in the feild...

I try not to shine torches into people's windows, and I try not to get arrested. I don't try to out run police dogs and I don't start a pissing match with my E1 is better then your MagLight Officer.
Not that I was arrested last night, because I wasn't. Okay?

I'm only allowed to carry one light when I got out with my mates (usually the E1 & PhotonII) but just to the pub (for the 2km stagger back) I'll carry as many SureFires as I can carry!

Al
grin.gif

Newly Enlightened
Size15s - you'll soon need to add the mighty ARC LS to your torch collection.

Yours sincerely,
James
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Every Friday I feed my love for alcohol with my weekly pilgrimage to the beer shop to stock up- it`s about the only time I go out after dark asides from the occasional late return from work. I don`t drive, so have to walk and always take a torch with me. It`s about 15mins each way, and apart from everything, the excersize does me good even if the beer doesn`t!

Round here there`s loads of those bright orange 35 watt and 55 watt low pressure sodium streetlights, and I feel a little conspicuous shining torches around when walking near those (people look at me funny) but there`s some really dark shady bits that I get to test them out in, and I`ll also briefly fire up the brighter ones shining down the road as I leave the house, to see how far they`ll go.

To this day I havn`t left the house with the sole intention to try out new lights- not yet anyway. I have mild agrophobia, feel very uneasy in the presence of strangers (I always have- daft isn`t it?!), so only go out when there`s somewhere I have to go.

Anyway, I wonder which one I`ll take with me tonight? So many to choose from....

....mmmmmmm! Beeeer!

bigdrink.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's really fun to walk on a foogy night and check out the beam pattern of my Streamlight Stinger.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Correction make "foogy" foggy instead.

Of course, I've also walked on many a foogy night too!
rolleyes.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Everyday I pray for a foogy night!

I don't mind the strange looks that I get.

I'm not the sort of person that is bothered by people in dark places. How they feel about me is another question.

I go out late at night to shine torches.

Usually in the feild [field behind my house] or the woods beyond the feild. I also walk through the woods on my way home from town/work so I have an excuse not that I'm often asked to justify myself. People don't usually have the nerve to ask a 6ft5"-brighter-then-anything-they've-ever-experienced-light-waving-freak why he's doing what he's doing on a dark night in the middle of nowhere...

I spend a lot of my time in the dark on my own..............................

Al
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

grin.gif
HOT DAMN IT'S DARK AGAIN - time to play with flashlights. LEDs, Incandescents - I might even fire up the Coleman lantern and play in the woods!

Anybody else for dark play?

grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlashlightDude:
grin.gif
HOT DAMN IT'S DARK AGAIN - time to play with flashlights. LEDs, Incandescents - I might even fire up the Coleman lantern and play in the woods!
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, if you drop your little red LED Coleman lantern while it's on, you might not find it again. Ever.
grin.gif

It's dark here too, but I'll have to wait a couple of more weeks before my next beer run / nighttime flashlight test (December 3rd payday). So I'll just start warming up some of my test equipment and do some of that tonight instead.

If anyone in this area is going to the Fish & Workboat Expo tomorrow at the Washington State Convention Center, I'll be there looking at all the cool lights and other related stuff.
Just look for the wheelchair with all the LEDs on it.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to have some devilshly good fun on a windy night try this: tie a bright white colored lumistick on a kite near the kite's tail - and fly it high above a major neighborhood or street.

It looks like a UFO and scares the hell out of passing autos. Jerk the line back and forth and let it dive down towards cars and watch 'em!!!!!!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlashlightDude:
If you want to have some devilshly good fun on a windy night try this: tie a bright white colored lumistick on a kite near the kite's tail - and fly it high above a major neighborhood or street.

It looks like a UFO and scares the hell out of passing autos. Jerk the line back and forth and let it dive down towards cars and watch 'em!!!!!!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A blue LED wired to a pair of CR2032 batteries and hung (LED pointing straight down) from a black helium balloon should do wonders at night. Blue isn't a standard aviation color (at least not here in the US) and should elicit numerous calls to your local UFO hotline.

Pick a lightly breezy, clear night and balance the contraption so it rises but only slowly, so it won't go too high too quickly.
You want people to see it, not have it be lost in the cloud deck or rise out of obvious visual range too rapidly.
grin.gif

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Not quite UFOs and not even outside - but hell - it's cold out there - must be 60 degrees or less!
rolleyes.gif
(us ex-southern cal people can't handle anything under 72 without piling on the parkas and long undies
wink.gif
)

I took a couple of pictures (both flashlight and camera around 20'). Here's a comparison of the E2 (top) and SL4:

e2.JPG

sl4.JPG

that SL4 is one bright sucker!
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Artie Choke:
Not quite UFOs and not even outside - but hell - it's cold out there - must be 60 degrees or less <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky you... we haven't been out of the 40s and 50s since late September.
In fact, September 30th was our last day in the 60s this year, and that was the high for the day - exactly 60°.
x.gif

In a couple more weeks, we'll be struggling to get out of the mid 40s until next April.

Makes me want to move to Sacramento with the rest of my family.
blush.gif