To Lanyard Or Not?

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
Please help me realize the benefits to lanyards for torches & knives. I'm under the impression that I've missed the boat. I always EDC either a U60XRGT or a McLux III-PD on my belt and a knife w/ clip in my back pocket. This is a very reliable and accessible arrangement for me personally. However, with all of the cool looking lanyards that I see on this site, it makes me wonder if I'm not getting it. What are the benefits of using a lanyard as opposed to belt or pocket carry?

Thanks

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
While neck lanyards are a good way to keep a often used tool handy, I use them cause I drop stuff all the time. Wrapped around the wrist or hand, the lanyard keeps the light off of the ground...or water...

nuggett

Enlightened
easy to fetch FireFly III from pocket, keeps my arc p hand around my neck

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like BigHonu said it's more for a tool that gets used often and is more convienient then digging in your pocket each time. Just always make sure you check the condition of the lanyard's loop that attaches to the light/knife often for signs of wear.

Topper

Flashaholic*
For me it depends on a few things, if I am fishing on a boat then a lanyard is needed on my knife so I don't lose another one. If I am using a 100.00 or more dollar light on pavement or concrete I like a lanyard so I don't bust another one. When it gets to neck lanyards for keeping something close by so you can get to it I need one that breaks before I become unconscious in the event I do something real stupid.
Topper :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes when you drop something, it's gone. Deep open water, wells, septic tanks, high places, over dangerous machinery, etc. Game over. Rather handy to have it slip and not go more than a few inches. I'd have had to replace my SL PP Lux AA several times without a lanyard. This light costs less than $30 delivered, and such situations would chew up a $500 light just as easily.

I'd like to stress that if there's a chance that the light will be taken from your hand and pulled away with force, you should use a safety(breakaway) lanyard or none at all. Better to lose a $500 flashlight than your hand.

:buddies:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like everyone has said it depends on the situation. I normally don't use a lanyard but when up on scaffolding or ladders and on a boat they are almost essential for me.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
It keeps my hands free when working equipment I know that when I need the extra light
I just flip my Flashlight into my hand when needed

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
More commonly, kitchen and bathroom tile can be just as damaging to a light as a fall on concrete. Damage to the finish as well as having to replace lamps make a lanyard well worth the investment and time it takes to slip over the wrist. I tend to use my lanyards even around the house for these reasons.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
leukos said:
More commonly, kitchen and bathroom tile can be just as damaging to a light as a fall on concrete. Damage to the finish as well as having to replace lamps make a lanyard well worth the investment and time it takes to slip over the wrist. I tend to use my lanyards even around the house for these reasons.
Indeed! I am so d*mn clumsy and would have a million dings and scratches on my lights if I didn't use lanyards! Kinda like the seatbelts in a car; can be pretty annoying, but when you need them, they'r really nice to have!:D

pec50

Enlightened
Be sure to consider a "break away" piece, particularly if you are intending to wear a neck lanyard. You don't want the lanyard to become your leash in a perilous moment.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to prefer a finger loop over a lanyard. It increases the confort and security of carrying a small light over a period of time and will prevent accidental drops, yet it doesn't get in the way. An elastic loop (cloth covered elastic like girls use for their hair) makes an excellent, cheap finger loop which can be stretched around Fenix type lights (becaue their lanyard attachments are on the side) so it is completely out of the way when you aren't using it. In Fenixes, I thread the elastic through a small split ring which goes through both Fenix lanyard holes at once.

juancho

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
I tend to prefer a finger loop over a lanyard. It increases the confort and security of carrying a small light over a period of time and will prevent accidental drops, yet it doesn't get in the way. An elastic loop (cloth covered elastic like girls use for their hair) makes an excellent, cheap finger loop which can be stretched around Fenix type lights (becaue their lanyard attachments are on the side) so it is completely out of the way when you aren't using it. In Fenixes, I thread the elastic through a small split ring which goes through both Fenix lanyard holes at once.

The hair tie is great also for tactical lights, a flip of your wrist and the light is in the back of your hand. They are called Tigers Rings, but I saw the first use by Gabe Suarez, that used flash bang rings.

tigerrings.jpg

Also consider straps and even slings for the larger lights, they make it easy to store them (by hanging) and to deploy them as "watchman lights"

swivelmag.jpg

5554.jpg

cheers
Juan C.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread. I use one on my L1 sometimes becaudse its light enough to wear around my neck. My U2 however doesn't have one right now but this thread has inspired me to figure out away to put one on there, probably more of a wrist lanyard though...

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
Heres the one on my P1.
The biggest thing I like lanyards for is ease getting at the light or knife.
IMO it is much easier to grab the lanyard than to try and pull the top of the knife.
With the one on the P1 I can put the light in my pocket and let the lanyard hang out,when needed just grab the lanyard end without needing to dig into my pocket.
DSCF0093.jpg

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
juancho said:
The hair tie is great also for tactical lights, a flip of your wrist and the light is in the back of your hand. They are called Tigers Rings, but I saw the first use by Gabe Suarez, that used flash bang rings.

tigerrings.jpg

Also consider straps and even slings for the larger lights, they make it easy to store them (by hanging) and to deploy them as "watchman lights"

swivelmag.jpg

5554.jpg

cheers
Juan C.

WOW what a cool idea to use parts from a rifle sling. How did you do that? Or is there a place to get a pre drilled tail cap?