INOVA XO3, T3 TACTICAL?

ahw

Newly Enlightened
Inova claims the XO3 and T3 can be used for tactical situations and as a police light. Flashlight reviews website say it's not much brighter than a surefire e2l and the throw isn't much longer. If i could get I get some beam shots from someone who owns one of these, are these lights bright enough for self defense, tactical etc?

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Ahw, welcome to CPF. You pose an interesting question.

My XO3's beam is slightly tighter than my EDC/always-in-my pocket E2L. The rugged Inova does appear to have slightly better throw. Beamshots-on-a-white-wall won't tell you very much re either light for practical purposes. You're probably more likely to have that smaller E2L with you, however, when the Spit Hits The Fan in a dark parking lot "tactical situation" and Rosie O'Donnell ain't around to defend you.

As to Self Defense use, that's a big can of worms with ideological overtones -- and one that always leads to hotly politicized debate. Why? Because a potent flashlight alone is a pi$$ poor self defense tool which only those who believe in the Tooth Fairy (and the pacifist-elitist agenda) actually hope to have some practical effect on a miscreant -- without the accompanying threat of (your) immediate countervailing violence behind it.

IF you COMBINE a good light with:

1. Heightened Situational Awareness
2. Rejection of prevailing P.C. academic/cultural conditioning re "fighting back"
3. A combative/warrior Mindset (determination to NEVER be a victim)
4. An effective Weapon, and
5. The Training to maximize that weapon under stress...

... then you'll be prepared for The Real World.

If you labor under delusions that some flashlight exists which willl enable you to magically neutralize Street Punks without bloodying your own hands, then take two Valiums, make a donation to Cindy Sheehan's Mommies For The Terminally Naive, and call me in the morning. And, if you're a street-smart LEO, you'll find better lights that either of these for primary tactical use.

I urge you to (a) spend some time using the Search feature here re "Self Defense," and (b) thoroughly read the late/esteemed Col. Jeff Cooper's little classic "Principles Of Personal Defense."

Bottom line: a good flashlight is really only an "early-warning radar" tool for enabling you to spot and fix potential Targets. OR, to warn 'em that you ain't some ditz-brained, quiche-eating sheeple that's ripe for their fleecing.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that any flashlight is much better than no flashlight in a tactical situation. This is especially true to keep you from accidently engaging friendly targets. I would much rather suffer harm myself than shoot a family member. I would personally want a flashlight with a little more sidespill than a trios optic inova. I have brighter lights, but I would feel somewhat comfortable using my inova xo(reflector version) just because of its medium spot with a good sidespill. Given the choice though, I would rather have a few hundred lumen incan though for that purpose.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Flashllights are not weopons. Unless you plan on hitting someone over the head with it...and that's assuming that the troglodyte doesn't take the flashlight away from you and beat the living *&%$ out of you with it.
There are very few flashlights bright enough to dazzle someone in the way you're talking about and they are generally being used by law enforcement who also have guns batons and pepper spray...
And while we're on the subject even pepper spray is not 100% effective 100% of the time. Some people are immune and someone who is drunk ,psychotic ,on drugs ,or just plain infuriated will be able to ignore pepper spray long enough to get to you and shove that can of OC (pepper spay) down your throat.
In the prison I work in they started giving pepper spray to certain employees on teams that break up fights etc. One of the instructors a long time ago told us about a police officer who kept blasting someone who wasimmune with pepper spray. They found him dead shot with his own gun and the criminal was in the corner rubbing his eyes...

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best tactical light is on the front of my old car. I was able to stun and then kill a very large buck on I-70 using it. It was however verry expensive. By the way...I used a halogen bulb and a 12 volt rechargable battery for power. They are both quit common and effective.