Picked up THREE 4D MagLEDs from Fry's today ($20 through 10/24/06)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting to do a little project with PR2 LEDs, and the MagLED modules seemed a good fit for my needs. I was thinking of buying a few 2-cell modules, but today's big Fry's ad listed the 4D MagLED for $20! I got mine at Home Depot a few weeks ago for $30, so this amazed me. I don't know how these lights can be priced so low. The best part is that I can cannibalize the LEDs, and use the Mags for hotwire (or Trilux/Quadlux, etc.) hosts.

I bought three. AFAIK, they still have some in stock.

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
Re: Picked up THREE 4D MagLEDs from Fry's today

etc said:
Their online info says it's $39.95... Maybe it's inconsistent?
Are you saying this sale is nationwide?

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4797739?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Check this out!!! Link.

I'm not sure about the nationwide or not but usually, it is. You should check your local papers.

noob.

PS. I should go and pick 1 up!! This is good price.:sold:

<<edit>>Also found eneloop AA/AAA 4 pack for 7.99 on the same flyer. I think I should pick 1 up. :sold:

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

It doesn't look like there are Fry's on the East coast. Mostly West coast and TX.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I checked online before I called, and the listed price was $40. However, the Fry's I called (Sunnyvale) said that they had a bunch left at $20 each.

I forgot to mention: while I was at Fry's today, there was someone there explaining (to other customers) the MagLED's initial drop in output. I brought up the reason (thermal throttling), and we agreed that most users don't leave a flashlight on for more than a few minutes at a time, and that the initial drop may not even be noticable. Now that I think about it, I really should have asked the guy if I was talking to a CPFer!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

You probably were...

Good price, but a zillion miles from here.

700club

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the tip guys. I picked one up today @ Fry's in Las Vegas. They have 10 more in stock at the end of the flashlight aisle lying down flat. They are not with the other Mag lights for some reason.

Slaro

Newly Enlightened

Heck, get a bunch and sell them here.. I'LL BUY A COUPLE FROM YOU!

EDIT: I have two on their way to me. Thanks a million!

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened

fnmag said:
Frys in Phoenix, $19.99 for the 4D M*gLED.

Confirmed, I got one too. If they are not on the shelf, you may have to ask an employee to get you one from the back. They had 60 left according to the computer.

They were out of the $7.99 4-packs of Eneloop AA and AAA, but you can get a raincheck.

Oracle

Newly Enlightened

Fry's is 3 hours from me and I just went last week. I guess I won't be getting one :(

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, with shipping, they will probably come out to be about the same as buying them from the local Chimart...

Although in all honesty, I haven't seen anything but 3D MagLEd at the local Home Depot for about $29.... I didn't even know they had a 4D model.

vortechs

Enlightened

If there are some requests for these here on CPF, I could get a few extras. I don't want to get in the habit of doing this too often because it is a lot of work. Sales tax ($1.62) and shipping would raise the cost.

I'm not sure how much they would cost to ship via USPS. They weigh over 1 pound, so inexpensive first class mail cannot be used. One of the Priority Mail flat rate boxes may be the easiest method ($8.10).

The 4D MagLite body is probably too big to be shipped overseas easily or cheaply, but I suppose I could take the 4-cell LED module out and ship it without too much difficulty.

(I have a feeling I might regret this post. Please don't flood my PM box.)

Oracle

Newly Enlightened

vortechs said:
If there are some requests for these here on CPF, I could get a few extras. I don't want to get in the habit of doing this too often because it is a lot of work. Sales tax ($1.62) and shipping would raise the cost.

I'm not sure how much they would cost to ship via USPS. They weigh over 1 pound, so inexpensive first class mail cannot be used. One of the Priority Mail flat rate boxes may be the easiest method ($8.10).

It's a very generous offer but I think $30 isn't a great enough deal to be worth your effort, especially since people are saying the 3D is $30 at home depot.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, Home Depot carries the 4D MagLED for $30. That's where I got my first one (in black).

And yes, I do indeed have four 4D MagLEDs now. :sssh:

etc said:
get a bunch and sell them on ebay.

Do you realize it costs $6-10 to ship it? Subtract merchants fees, your time, etc and you're lucky to break even.

so wait.. this means... price match at home depot = $18?

vortechs

Enlightened

Handlobraesing said:
so wait.. this means... price match at home depot = $18?

Yes! :huh:

I stopped by a Home Depot with a copy of the Frys Electronics ad and asked about the 4D LED MagLite. They matched the $19.99 price and beat it by 10%. Thanks for the tip.