A2: A Different Approach

Bright

Newly Enlightened
I had an A2 with white LEDs on back order from OpticsHQ. (Nice price!) It seemed the wait would be long.

Various threads indicated that:

- white LEDs in an A2 are overdriven with primaries, let alone rechargeables (which I planned to use)
- resistors in the white LED ring are 33 Ohm
- 90-110 Ohm resistors in the LED ring are more conducive to long life when using rechargeables with standard white LEDs
- red led rings have 100 Ohm resistors

Then I noticed OpticsHQ had a few A2-HA-RD-Gift. This is an A2 with red LEDs, a spare MA02 lamp, a set of 123 primaries and lanyard, all in a "Rugged Cordura nylon presentation case" for a list price of $212.50. i.e. around $10 less than the list price of the contents bought separately.

I realised that if I had a modder swap red LEDs for one of the white alternatives, I'd have an A2 with better tint white LEDs and 100 Ohm resistors plus I wouln't have to wait for back order. A couple of PMs exchanged with milkyspit indicated that THC3 LEDs would have the best longevity and provide the tint that best matched the colour of the incandescent.

With the nice price from OpticsHQ and the saving on the A2-HA-RD-Gift compared to buying the components separately, a milkyspit modified A2 with THC3 LEDs would cost about the same as Surefire's list price.

So I changed my order with OpticsHQ and had them ship to milkyspit. He made the swap and shipped to me. (I live in Australia, so saving the cost of shipping the light across the Pacific a couple of times was worthwhile too.) When the light arrived, OpticsHQ was still back ordered on white LED A2s (since changed).

So how's the light? I've never actually seen a stock white LED A2, but I'm very pleased with mine with THC3 white LEDs and 100 Ohm resistors. On rechargeables (MP brand from AW), the LEDs are clearly brighter than my U2 on low (Surefire claims 2 lumens) or either of two HDS I've tried on the 2.5 lumen setting (all comparisons using ceiling bounce). With primaries, the brightness of my A2 LEDs can't be distinguished from the U2 on low but are still brighter than the HDS on 2.5 lumens. My guess is that this configuration is giving close to standard LED brightness.

As a small bonus, my A2 came with 2 sets of primaries.

If anyone else is interested in taking this route, OpticsHQ lists two A2-HA-RD-Gift in stock and milkyspit is great to deal with.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob: Sounds like you did your homework before purchasing! I think I might try one of my A2's with the THC3 LEDs. :)

Bright

Newly Enlightened
Hi leukos,

Strictly speaking, I can't compare to the standard ones as mine arrived with the THC3s in place. Lots of good photos in "A2: greenLED's comparison of LED colors" at

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119758

but you've already seen that. :)

Have you tried a red filter with an A2? (As an alternative to the red LEDs.)

Regards,

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright said:
Have you tried a red filter with an A2? (As an alternative to the red LEDs.)

Yes, I've noticed bushwacker flip-up filters fit (snuggly). An A2 with white LEDs is most versitile since I can add coloured filters for whatever mood I'm in. The red gets used the most, but the yellow is nice for giving a warm incandescent feel to the LEDs and a little more contrast. :)

image037a.jpg

lights_009.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is fairly dim. The white LEDs are only about 3 lumens anyways, I don't think there is much more than 1 lumen with the red filter.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
I have A2's with both red and white LED's. I've also tried one of the red flip up Bushwacker filters and there doesn't appear to be a significant difference in output between the white A2 with a red filter and the A2 with red LED's. What is bothersome with the filtered output is the red plastic where the hinge is and the red tabs on the filter glow while the light is on.

If you have a frequent need for the colored output, slip on filters can be annoying...the little bit of rubber around the bezel seems to bump the A2 into the next larger size bracket and makes pocket carry a lot more inconvenient. When the filter is flipped open, the red lens cover sticks out to the side about 1 1/2" or so. The Bushwacker that slips onto the A2 is also pretty tight, and you do have to do a bit of work to put it on or take it off.

That said, if you don't have a regular need to have the colored light output, I would definitely recommend the filter as a low cost alternative to spending a lot of money on a special purpose light.

Richard

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
rgp4544 said:
...What is bothersome with the filtered output is the red plastic where the hinge is and the red tabs on the filter glow while the light is on.

A little black paint around the outside of the plastic filter (sand first for good paint adhesion) should conceal the red glow.