Wouldn't You Like To See...

Doug

Enlightened
Wouldn\'t You Like To See...

Anyone here like to see Craig, in a picture, wearing/holding all of his flashlights while on, in a picture? Also, we can have a caption contest! What do you guys think
smile.gif
?

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Wouldn\'t You Like To See...

Ok... anyone have about $400 worth of batteries and a couple of those big plastic wash baskets?
Because that's about what it would take to get every single light going at once and for me to hold them all at once.
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

C'mon Craig, let's see a monster-light picture with you as the FlashLight King.

grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlashlightDude:
C'mon Craig, let's see a monster-light picture with you as the FlashLight King.

grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dig me up around $400 worth of batteries and a space large enough to spread my entire collection on the floor around me, and the picture is yours.
smile.gif

Doug

Enlightened

$400 worth of batteries?! Why so much? Don't all of your lights have batteries in them already? I would imagine this little stunt would only require a few minutes of "burn" time ... right?

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Dig me up around $400 worth of batteries and a space large enough to spread my entire collection on the floor around me, and the picture is yours.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
$400 worth of batteries?! Why so much? Don't all of your lights have batteries in them already? I would imagine this little stunt would only require a few minutes of "burn" time ... right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QB][/QUOTE]

Leaving batteries in flashlights for longer than a few months is generally not a good idea except those that use lithiums and those flashlights that see regular use (so you can easily tell when they're dead and *must* be removed). So 60-70% or so of them are full not of batteries, but of air.

Turning on & carefully setting up 200+ flashlights would probably take at least 30 minutes, so a certain methodology would be used: D and C cell lights first, then AA lights, then AAA lights, then incandescents, then coin & button cell lights in order of increasing current consumption (resistored lights first, unresistored last); and finally 123 lithium incandescents. That would pretty much assure that every light is operating at nearly new brightness by the time the photographer started shooting.

Regarding those pictures of my flashlight inventory on the shelves; not all lights I have here are shown in those photographs. I'd have to go around and retrieve all of the various daily-use lights, lights from my wheelchair, the first-aid kit, bedside, in first-access drawers, on keychains, those kept in various other locations throughout the house for emergency usage, and those few still in their packages on the "To Be Evaluated" list.
All total, that would probably be around 20 additional lights.

Finally, although I could use my camera's self-timer, that only gives me 10 seconds to trigger it and then position myself in the shot. A professional photographer would be the preferred option, and even better, a photographer with a better camera. 0.8 megapixels just isn't enough to resolve all of the light sources properly; as you can see by my pictures, even in good conditions, my camera still produces grainy, fuzzy photos.

Happy now?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

busbar

Newly Enlightened

So Stingmon, if you turned all of your lights on at the same time, would your Seattle City Light meter turn backwards?

Anath

Newly Enlightened

heh, I was imagining a pic of Stingmon in his chair with all his lights arranged like this..

B-52load.jpg

maybe a pic of Peter with 50 odd ARC AAA's? :p

mikep

Enlightened

Well, just in general, wouldn't you like to put a face to the names here? Craig has pics on his website, maybe a couple people put a picture in their profile. Why doesn't some brave soul start a thread meant to be pictures of ones self?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Oh oh... better get a bigger lens for that camera. Seven (7) new lights just showed up with today's deliveries, adding to my already rediculous total.
shocked.gif

When I started that website of mine in 1999 as a single 14K page with a couple of black and white Webcam pictures of LEDs, I had no idea the monster I'd end up creating.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif

Doug

Enlightened

Maybe it's time to make a donation to the LED Museum .... 2+ megapixel camera's are under $300 theses days.... maybe each member can donate (at least) $1... hmm?

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Leaving batteries in flashlights for longer than a few months is generally not a good idea except those that use lithiums and those flashlights that see regular use (so you can easily tell when they're dead and *must* be removed). So 60-70% or so of them are full not of batteries, but of air.

Turning on & carefully setting up 200+ flashlights would probably take at least 30 minutes, so a certain methodology would be used: D and C cell lights first, then AA lights, then AAA lights, then incandescents, then coin & button cell lights in order of increasing current consumption (resistored lights first, unresistored last); and finally 123 lithium incandescents. That would pretty much assure that every light is operating at nearly new brightness by the time the photographer started shooting.

Regarding those pictures of my flashlight inventory on the shelves; not all lights I have here are shown in those photographs. I'd have to go around and retrieve all of the various daily-use lights, lights from my wheelchair, the first-aid kit, bedside, in first-access drawers, on keychains, those kept in various other locations throughout the house for emergency usage, and those few still in their packages on the "To Be Evaluated" list.
All total, that would probably be around 20 additional lights.

Finally, although I could use my camera's self-timer, that only gives me 10 seconds to trigger it and then position myself in the shot. A professional photographer would be the preferred option, and even better, a photographer with a better camera. 0.8 megapixels just isn't enough to resolve all of the light sources properly; as you can see by my pictures, even in good conditions, my camera still produces grainy, fuzzy photos.

Happy now?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug

Enlightened

7 new lights?! What are they? So, and update to the site will be coming soon
smile.gif
?!

Doug

Oh oh... better get a bigger lens for that camera. Seven (7) new lights just showed up with today's deliveries, adding to my already rediculous total.
shocked.gif

When I started that website of mine in 1999 as a single 14K page with a couple of black and white Webcam pictures of LEDs, I had no idea the monster I'd end up creating.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Maybe it's time to make a donation to the LED Museum .... 2+ megapixel camera's are under $300 theses days.... maybe each member can donate (at least) $1... hmm?

Doug

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm good for $10 on that. It's a great idea.

I see that as a good expression of our WorldWide community coming together to support a member, while also benefitting the whole community. After all, Stingmon's not going to waste it on high-livin'.
We'll all get the benefits of money towards the LED Museum. I notice that at the moment, admission is free. I don't like the feeling of just taking without giving something back.

There is a good spirit among the members here. With around a thousand of us now, and the society established, taking a shape and form, we still all are geographically apart. How do we choose a way to come together as a group ?

A collective effort to raise some money - I think it would help to cohere us.

Once that's done, we could look for other decent common causes, suggestions gratefully accepted. Next year, something else ......

lightlover
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by busbar:
So Stingmon, if you turned all of your lights on at the same time, would your Seattle City Light meter turn backwards?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, I wish... I'm not exactly looking forward to getting my January light bill after an expected 1.4 to 1.6 megawatt-hour December, thanks to my annual knock-your-socks-off Christmas display.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anath:
heh, I was imagining a pic of Stingmon in his chair with all his lights arranged like this..
{bomber with bombs methodically laid out in front of it}
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, that might not be a bad idea.
Might be the only thing that would actually work given the limited amount of floor space I have to work with.

If I move my wheelchairs to the door, I should have about 30 square feet to work with for that picture.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shocked.gif
Now that would be great!!
shocked.gif

And *everybody* would benefit from having much clearer pictures, especially with pictures of small parts and detailing.
Check out the picture I posted in the Self Portraits room earlier this morning. That was shot with my current camera at its highest resolution setting. All 0.8 megapixels of it.
x.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

7 new lights?! What are they? So, and update to the site will be coming soon
smile.gif
?!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the following in several seperate deliveries yesterday morning:
1 Lightwave 4000
1 Lightwave 3000
1 Lightwave 2000
1 Lightwave Illuminator
2 Lightwave Pocket Brights
1 Gamma Ray blue LED

Updates to the site on an "as time permits" basis. I've already got a pretty full plate going, so I can't give any estimates of how soon the additions & updates on these will get posted, or even which light (though I may put up initial pages on the Gamma Ray & LW3000 first).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous:
I see that as a good expression of our WorldWide community coming together to support a member, while also benefitting the whole community. After all, Stingmon's not going to waste it on high-livin'.
We'll all get the benefits of money towards the LED Museum. I notice that at the moment, admission is free
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will never charge anybody to use my website, regardless of how long they stay or how often they come back.
I don't get high, so there should be no worry about me using it for drugs.
smile.gif

A decent camera is what's needed first and foremost, so that's where the money would go. My current camera cost around $270 when I got it a couple of summers ago after more than 4 years of saving up for it. I'm sure technology has improved since then, and that same $270 could buy a much higher resolution unit now.

Doug

Enlightened

Ok Craig, if people/when people send you money, how would you like it? US money order? Check? I personally wouldn't send more than $1 in cash .... do you have a paypal account?

Doug

napalm-2002

Enlightened

stingmon you got a ten spot coming your way!!!

it will probably be like when clark griswold lights up his x-mas light display in national lampoons christmas vacation.

cant see the line can ya russ.

hehehehehehehehehe

Latest posts