the international brotherhood

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Busbar - the other day, I caught myself talking about a Flashlight ......

Heyulp, y'all, ahm a-turning into 'n American !
(From the Deep South, can'tcha figure ? )

As Peter Pelu pointed out to me recently, (he would !
smile.gif
) the correct spelling for a florch in German is "taschenlampe".

Wonder what it is in Singaporean, Welsh, Chinese or Japanese ?
(Or in Australian, come to that ... )

lightlover
grin.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I call torches flashlights all the time, and I make a note to punish myself severely for doing so.

Mainly I say "I'm interested in torches, you know 'flashlights'?" so they don't think I'm interested in torture...

Al

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I first stumbed accross these here Forums, I found myself refering to "flashlights" all the time- my old review pages are a testemony to that. But more recently, I`m drifting back to what I used to call them- Torches- as I realise that most of you lot round here still know what I`m on about.

grin.gif
tongue.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In response to Something Ridiculous above, "Kaichuudentoo" is the Japanese word for flashlight...at least that is what I've been told by a Japanese co-worker.

Size15's

Flashaholic
And in Sindarin? I've got a Tengwar font somewhere...
grin.gif

International Flashlight Greetings Page?

Is there a Universal Flashaholic Greeting?

Al

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a Universal Flashaholic Greeting?

How about 3 brief bursts, from one of the obligatory everyday-carry lights, at each other?

No...on second thoughts maybe not- what if you meet up with someone whos daily carry is the M6
shocked.gif

Or the Maxa-Beam
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

And who knows what would happen if a Gun-a-holic got his greetings confused.......
blush.gif
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
I'm not sure about Mandarin Chinese but in Cantonese Chinese (most widely spoken language in Hong Kong) a "flashlight" is called "din tong" or at least that's how you pronounce it anyway.

And having been studying for 9 years now in Melbourne, down under, "flashlight" is simply known as a torch (funny that). And I tell you, there're only a handful of shops that sell them. Namely army shops, electronics shops and hardware shops. And maybe if you're lucky, there might be one or two in the supermarket or shopping centre.

YC

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
In response to Something Ridiculous above, "Kaichuudentoo" is the Japanese word for flashlight...at least that is what I've been told by a Japanese co-worker.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm..well, here's a chance to nitpick
tongue.gif

The 'dentoo' part is correct(means 'light), but the 'kaichuu' part commonly means 'underwater', so I guess he meant underwater lights?
Anyway, most people here also just say 'raito'...
I can't remember what they say in Singapore. I think it was torch, but I hadn't become a torch (Australian here..) fanatic back then..

Graham