LEO/first responder question

paulr

Flashaholic
For those of you who are LEO's, ambulance drivers, etc.

You are responding to a car accident call alongside a highway. Cops and ambulance crews (including yourself) are dealing with the injuries and wreckage. While this in progress, some dweeb with a camera walks up to the scene and starts taking pictures.

1) What if anything do you tell him?

2) If you tell him to stop taking pictures and he refuses and keeps taking them, what do you do?

3) How do you feel about the situation in general?

There's a discussion thread about this in one of the photo newsgroups so I thought I'd ask the opinion of the LEO side of the question (I know there are LEO's here). I'm not especially interested in photographers' opinions at this point since I'm already seeing those in the other place.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Well in general it is probably just annoying more than anything. But, if they are obstructing the scene while emergency personel are working that is a different story. As a LEO I would politely ask them to step back away from the scene for their safety and for those working. If they don't comply then I would probably offer them the choice of getting arrested, or again staying out of the way. If they still were in the way then I would have no problem arresting someone for that. I would say that in most cases you would not have to worry about them not complying with your requests. You can't really stop people from taking pictures.

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
On 9/11 at ground zero there were people taking pictures while we worked. Many were told to leave - emotions of course ran high. I realize a reporter has a job to do, but respect for victims and families has to come into play also.

paulr

Flashaholic
kc2ouf, I'm not asking about reporters--they usually have press credentials issued by the police and have some clue about dealing with these scenes, and are performing a necessary function. The question is if it's just some random amateur with a camera taking pictures for his own amusement. Thanks for the responses.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Virginia has a code to cover those circumstances:

§ 46.2-902. Leaving scene of accident when directed to do so by officer.

A person shall leave the scene of a traffic accident when directed to do so by a law-enforcement officer.

Unlike most codes it is short and to the point.

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks. That's one of the least confusing laws I've ever seen ;-)

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reporters that have respect for victims or anyone?. Right. "Just say No" to CNN. Never happen.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Im an EMT/ Ambulance Driver.

Im serving the public and I'm in the public's view. I also don't do anything on duty that I don't want people taking pictures of. As long as they stay out of my way, and don't impeed with my job, are not endangering anybody, then I don't really mind. Generally, we are "grab and go" as opposed to the fire service which is generally "stay and play" where you see alot more pictures of them.

I've had some calls, where people were interferring with my care of injured people. Most will move and let you do your job when requested firmly. Sometimes, I do have to go and get the LEO to step in, and usually, its all bets off at that point.

If I had to stop treating a patient to go get the officer, then it's a pretty open and shut case. "Leave now, or you will be arrested"