SOLD MY SUREFIRE TODAY

ahw

Newly Enlightened
I needed the money, and I had to do it. I'm going to miss it. I bought a new mini mag led to replace it. it will do. Mini-mag led a good light?

carrot

Flashaholic
The Mini-MagLED 2AA/3AA is probably the best <$30 LED light on the market. It should give you many years of service, considering Mag's reputation for making relatively inexpensive lights that can take a beating.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
carrots post is just about what a middle road expectation you can expect, he is generally on . however here is a alternate analysis

user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1632721", true);
Flashaholic*

icon1.gif
Re: Minimag LED people, 2AA or 3AA, which do you prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlobraesing
What quality problem have you had with your Minimag LED?

Quality is not just all about problems.

But since you asked...and I own several of the 2AA and 3AA MagLEDs...

First off, I found the finish on my MagLED 2AA and 3AA flashlights got banged up and scratched way too easily. That alone isn't that big of a deal.

Meanwhile, the lens, which is just cheap plastic, where they didn't even bother to use a common hard coat to give a little abrasion resistance, but chose to go the cheapest possible route. The reason I bring this up, is after a little use, my lenses look like they have been thru WWII. I just tested one, and was surprised to find that I can even scratch them with a soft fingernail, wow! One would think, with something that is designed to be used as a tool, that materials suitable for use in tools would be utlized. There are a whole multitude of low cost hard coats that could be used, several of which will even stand up to agressive steel wool without scratching.

Furthermore, besides the lack of a hard coat, they didn't even bother to use a 2 sided AR coating, that you find in any flashlight of acceptable quality.

Only one of my MagLite LED flashlights will focus at the turn-on point for throw. The others, by the time you get them close to the throw adjustment, they turn off. However, the end user can hack their flashlight to fix this major issue, with a wood rasp, old boyscout pocket knife, or other suitable tool. Though, one should really not need to carve up a new light just to make it work properly.

I've never understood why MagLite doesn't have the wits to apply lubricant to their threads or to the O-rings. This could be automated easily, and add nearly no cost on their end.

However, that doesn't mean they are not okay. I find them useful for duct taping a magnet to, to put at the metal entryway to the basement, tossing in old tool boxes, in the wife's glove compartment, chucking under the seat, or to turn on and throw at tomcats at night, to get rid of them. They also are cheap enough to give to certain folks so they can experience modern day LED flashlights.

IMHO, if you want good quality, you'll have to start looking at light made by folks here, such as McGizmo, or for decent quality, the volume produced Surefire flashlights seem to fit the bill for many.

Sorry, I find no quality in Maglite, until you start comparing them to cheap pot metal soft aluminum flashlights found on ebay, or simple resistor LED junk lights as one would find at Target, K-Mart, or the Dollar Store.

The Maglite is cheap enough that you will find folks modding them, in fact, they are easily the most modded flashlight on the market, as folks fix the various short-commings common to MagLite, and often further customize them in to something worthwhile.

However, it is good to see that Maglite has finally started updating their multiple decades old designs in an attempt to at least make it to 2003. This is a good thing, and hopefully momentum has been established that will someday in the future, bring them to the current state of affairs.

Or at least one can dream

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Thats no problem, when you can afford a better light again check out the Fenix P1, I just got one and I think they are great, 44 bucks shipped.

Just a thought.

I would be sad to sell a good flashlight as well.
I hope you feel better soon:)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires are fancier and brighter lights. That being said, I use my MMag3AA more than all my surefires put together. I would recomend using lithiums or rechargables so you get a constant full brightness runtime over alkalines. (thanks to all those who posted runtime charts for pointing this out)

I would love to have a few U2's. (one to use, 2 for parts) but it is nice knowing that if my Mmag breaks walmart will replace it the same day. I will still pine after expensive lights, and most likely buy some as well. But lately, good decent priced lights that have good beams that I won't have to cry over if something happens to it are making my day...I mean night.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
ahw said:
I needed the money, and I had to do it. I'm going to miss it. I bought a new mini mag led to replace it. it will do. Mini-mag led a good light?

That's sad to hear. If you don't mind, could you tell us which SF model it was?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
TENMMIKE said:
carrots post is just about what a middle road expectation you can expect, he is generally on . however here is a alternate analysis

user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1632721", true);
Flashaholic*

icon1.gif
Re: Minimag LED people, 2AA or 3AA, which do you prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlobraesing
What quality problem have you had with your Minimag LED?

Quality is not just all about problems.

But since you asked...and I own several of the 2AA and 3AA MagLEDs...

First off, I found the finish on my MagLED 2AA and 3AA flashlights got banged up and scratched way too easily. That alone isn't that big of a deal.

Meanwhile, the lens, which is just cheap plastic, where they didn't even bother to use a common hard coat to give a little abrasion resistance, but chose to go the cheapest possible route. The reason I bring this up, is after a little use, my lenses look like they have been thru WWII. I just tested one, and was surprised to find that I can even scratch them with a soft fingernail, wow! One would think, with something that is designed to be used as a tool, that materials suitable for use in tools would be utlized. There are a whole multitude of low cost hard coats that could be used, several of which will even stand up to agressive steel wool without scratching.

Furthermore, besides the lack of a hard coat, they didn't even bother to use a 2 sided AR coating, that you find in any flashlight of acceptable quality.

Only one of my MagLite LED flashlights will focus at the turn-on point for throw. The others, by the time you get them close to the throw adjustment, they turn off. However, the end user can hack their flashlight to fix this major issue, with a wood rasp, old boyscout pocket knife, or other suitable tool. Though, one should really not need to carve up a new light just to make it work properly.

I've never understood why MagLite doesn't have the wits to apply lubricant to their threads or to the O-rings. This could be automated easily, and add nearly no cost on their end.

However, that doesn't mean they are not okay. I find them useful for duct taping a magnet to, to put at the metal entryway to the basement, tossing in old tool boxes, in the wife's glove compartment, chucking under the seat, or to turn on and throw at tomcats at night, to get rid of them. They also are cheap enough to give to certain folks so they can experience modern day LED flashlights.

IMHO, if you want good quality, you'll have to start looking at light made by folks here, such as McGizmo, or for decent quality, the volume produced Surefire flashlights seem to fit the bill for many.

Sorry, I find no quality in Maglite, until you start comparing them to cheap pot metal soft aluminum flashlights found on ebay, or simple resistor LED junk lights as one would find at Target, K-Mart, or the Dollar Store.

The Maglite is cheap enough that you will find folks modding them, in fact, they are easily the most modded flashlight on the market, as folks fix the various short-commings common to MagLite, and often further customize them in to something worthwhile.

However, it is good to see that Maglite has finally started updating their multiple decades old designs in an attempt to at least make it to 2003. This is a good thing, and hopefully momentum has been established that will someday in the future, bring them to the current state of affairs.

Or at least one can dream

Doesn't hold much clout. He's praised other lights here that I've seen alot of posts on recently about malfunctioning and this is in a year's time with no further product support available and more expensive.
Despite all these 'cosmetic shortcomings' there's Mags out there still running after 2 decades. I know, I just used one the other night.

All the glass lenses and HA coating in the world isn't gonna be worth much if it doesn't work. It just becomes a pretty paperwight.

What many fail to realize is sticking with that bored, tired old 70's design is still going to yield parts availability and do it for cheap.

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
Doesn't hold much clout. He's praised other lights here that I've seen alot of posts on recently about malfunctioning and this is in a year's time with no further product support available and more expensive.
Despite all these 'cosmetic shortcomings' there's Mags out there still running after 2 decades. I know, I just used one the other night.

All the glass lenses and HA coating in the world isn't gonna be worth much if it doesn't work. It just becomes a pretty paperwight.

What many fail to realize is sticking with that bored, tired old 70's design is still going to yield parts availability and do it for cheap.

Sure there are Mag's still running after 2 decades, but replacement bulbs and batteries aside, I can not use a stock 2D mag-lite anymore. I suppose its better than nothing but its more of a paper weight to me because of its dim output.

But who wants bored, tired, and old designed stuff in most cases anyway? Sure some people collect vintage stuff, but honestly who still uses an Atari or Apple IIe?

But back to topic, I know how you feel. I sold my SF M6 a short while ago. Do I miss it? A little but that money went to better things. What do I have in its place? Two Tigerlights and a Mag 2C ROP LE. Will it match the M6 in output? No, but comes close. For general use I still have my battered U2 and G2Z for weapons usage.

Which Surefire did you sell?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:
Sure there are Mag's still running after 2 decades, but replacement bulbs and batteries aside, I can not use a stock 2D mag-lite anymore. I suppose its better than nothing but its more of a paper weight to me because of its dim output.
I agree with you - I don't see why anyone at all would use a stock incan Mag these days. This weeked, Fry's had that sale on 4D MagLEDs - $20 each! I'm starting to suspect that Mag or Fry's is doing this to get people to steer away from the old incans they're so comfortable with and make them buy a much more decent light.
JasonC8301 said:
But who wants bored, tired, and old designed stuff in most cases anyway? Sure some people collect vintage stuff, but honestly who still uses an Atari or Apple IIe?
For some strange, unfathomable reason, the Arc AAA just popped into my mind. :whistle:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
I agree with you - I don't see why anyone at all would use a stock incan Mag these days. This weeked, Fry's had that sale on 4D MagLEDs - $20 each! I'm starting to suspect that Mag or Fry's is doing this to get people to steer away from the old incans they're so comfortable with and make them buy a much more decent light.For some strange, unfathomable reason, the Arc AAA just popped into my mind. :whistle:

Also the Mag-lites are huge for what they output (unless you dump money into them for hot wires.)

I have an Arc AAA, sits in my flashlight draw becuse the CR2 Ion replaced it.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I like my 2AA Minimag LED, a lot. I don't have a 3AAA version, but I can tell from the runtime charts that it does not run the same at the end as my 2AA. This light has what appears to be a pretty good level of regulation, and will be making quite good light to the bitter end, which is good. It also as a result gives no real warning when the end comes, and goes from pleasingly bright to black, which is bad. Some have reported a drop to "moon mode" or even flickering, but many have lights that do what mine does, cuts out to black suddenly. Backup light, rotating NiMH's regularly, or some such regimen is in order when using these little guys for anything important. Just didn't want you to be unpleasantly surprised at the end of the first set of batts.

Hondo

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:

But that's the beauty of it's design. It's durable enough to last two decades and newer technologies can still be applied to the same old design. i Can stick a terralux, MagLED or others right in. Plug and play.

But who wants bored, tired, and old designed stuff in most cases anyway?

If it works when I need it to - me.

Sure some people collect vintage stuff, but honestly who still uses an Atari or Apple IIe?

Probably nobody since there's no parts availabilty. But back then they did stick around longer than 11 months before dumping the product support and parts for the 2600 and coming out with the 7800....

Even X-Box and Playstation manage to do that these days. Because I sure wouldn't spend 300-400 on something I got 11 months usage out of before seeing problems and being left out in the cold.

Last edited: