Cryosurgery for Prostate Cancer!

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys...

As I posted a few weeks ago, I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Well...I have just returned home this morning after having cryosurgergy performed yesterday morning. :p By all accounts, the cryosurgery was a complete success. I`ll know for sure in the next 2-3 months.

I`m creating this thread to laud the option of cyryosurgery for anyone facing prostate cancer. It`s a procedure that is reportedly extremely effective, and involves the killing of the cancer cells by feezing them. Perhaps most importantly from my vantage point, it is not at all as invasive as the traditional surgical removal of the prostate.

I`ll spare you the details in this post, but in less than 48 hours I`m home, feeling both relieved and frisky... and ready to resume work. I`ll work out of my house for the next couple of weeks as a preference and a precaution, but the way I feel now I could actually go back to my law office this coming Monday if it that was necessary. I`m totally impressed with the quick recovery time that is involved with cryosurgery.

If any of you fellow CPF`ers are ever are diagnosed with prostate cancer and would like to learn more from me on my personal experience with cryosurgery, please send a PM or email to me, and I`ll gladly call you.

Finally, this experience has again reminded me to try to live the rest of my life to the fullest. No matter what challenges each of us may be facing...and which are in many cases much more serious than my brush with prostate cancer....it`s good to be alive!

"Carpe Diem"...and best wishes to all of you.

:) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Cryosurgery for Prostate Cancer

good to hear you're alive and kicking....

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Excellent news that everything is going well. Thanks for the offer of information on cryosurgery. It's my understanding that prostate cancer is a problem that almost all of us guys will face sooner or later, if something else doesn't get us first. Stay strong and keep smiling.

Geoff

mosport

Enlightened

Happy to hear your cryosurgery was a complete success CarpeDiem!

My father heard about this procedure during the many oncologist consults this past spring, but it is not yet available here (and may not have been suitable anyways). The good news is that we have choices, the bad news is trying to decide which treatment... He underwent radical prostatectomy June 2nd 2006 and is fuly recovered with a clean pathology report, PSA undetectable.

For any of us facing the difficult choice of which postate cancer treatment to take, here are some additional treatment perspectives from fellow cancer survivors:

http://www.mantoman.ca/survivor-forum-II-2006.htm

Sincerely wishing you a full recovery Carpe Diem,

Derek

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Great news!

Prayers sent for a complete recovery.
The possibility of death certainly makes one look at ones life as a blessing. It also makes some of the things we used to worry about seem silly.

God bless,
Jeff

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi guys....thank you one and all!

Derek...you`re right. Cryosurgery is a cutting-edge treatment procedure, and unfortunately is not available yet everywhere. I`m fortunate in that the Medical College of Wisconsin, which is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is only 30 miles away from my home. Dr. Robert Donnell is a physician at that facility who is spearheading this technique.

He`s very good, and is an extremely nice, unassuming, and enjoyable person to talk to... a rare combination in any field. He treats persons from all parts of the country, and on a constant basis trains other physicians on the cryosurgery technique. (A group of urologists from another Wisconsin hospital staff apparently assembled to watch my procedure for training purposes. :p :D ) Here is one of Dr. Donnell`s articles on cryosurgery: http://www.froedtert.com/HealthResources/ReadingRoom/EveryDay/Aug-Dec2006Issue/CryosurgeryforProstateCancer.htm

Jeff...You`re also so right. Events occaisionally occur that make you properly re-order your priorities in life, and the trivial and mundane things that were once the main focus in your life get relegated to the back shelf of a rarely opened closet...as should be the case. I also know you to be an expert at this often-forgotten exercise, and I commend you for the same. :thumbsup:

Thanks again, everyone, and best wishes to all!

:)

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Congratulations!
Welcome to the prostate cancer survivors club!
My latest PSA count was 0.8 and the DR said, "see you in 6 mounts!" It appears that they got my cancer. For several reasons, we had to use hormone and radiation treatments. No surgery needed.

sniper

Enlightened
Carpe Diem said:
Hi Guys...

I have just returned home this morning after having cryosurgergy performed yesterday morning. :p By all accounts, the cryosurgery was a complete success.

"Carpe Diem"...and best wishes to all of you. :) :thumbsup:

Thumbsup indeed. GREAT news! My brother in law recently had surgery/radioactive implants for prostate cancer, and is still having a rough go of it.

I don't have the problem yet, (cross fingers) but this is the first I have heard of the Cryogenic surgery. Thanks for the info, and CARPE FOXEM. (sieze the babe ) :)

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that's really great news! Congratulations!! :twothumbs Really glad to hear its gone so well. No giving us the cold shoulder, now...:grin2:

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
Great news and Congratulations.
Let's hope every visit will get you a lifetime membership to the "NErD" club.
(NED=no evidence of disease)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Great news, Carpe Diem. Thank you for sharing this, not only for the discussion of a new treament option but also as a reminder to everyone, male and female, to get regular checkups. May you have a quick and lasting recovery.